If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Diesel Gala - 7/8/9 May 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by buzby2, Oct 14, 2009.

1. MC5029

MC5029 New Member

Below is a shot of the convoy today, click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

Few more pictures here too: http://mattcarey.fotopic.net/c1846346_25.html

Thanks

Matt

2. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, operationally the gala was a little bit eventful, but I think it was a good event nonetheless. I ended up early turn shunter at Norden instead (made my life easier!); it was good to put a few names to faces. Roll on next year!

3. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Not agreed yet but suggest you 'pencil in' 6/7/8 May 2011 in your Diaries.

4. Slash

Slash Member

Ballast monkey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very enjoyable. I think we'll plan the pub abit better if we are back next year :D

Slash
    4 VEP Fitter :cool:

5. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Thanks to those who came. Weather was ok. A bit cool but stayed dry for most of the weekend

Overall was a good weekend.

There were a few hic cups and lessons to be learnt.

6. 83D

83D New Member

I found this gala a total disapointment. I went on the saturday with some mates who were trying to convert me over to the deasil side, It didn't happen. Maybe they cause would have been helped if it didn't take 5 hours to do the last 2 two round trips which was worked out to be an average of somthing like 4 mph :/. Yes, there was a failiure or whatever earlier on in the day, but they had the oppertunoty to make some of that time up, but no, they chose loose even more! This, added to the fact that the timetables for that day were actually the previus days timetables with, "saturday" just printed on them and they in no way matched the actual Saturday timetable made things just a whole lot more confusing. All in all, a very poorly organised gala and I will not be visiting again in the near future.

7. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry you feel this way 83D, our diesel galas up to this one had all run very well but this year the gremlins really got in! No one feels as bad about it as the organisers do and some lessons have been learnt. In their defence the lengthy 10mph ESR between New Barn and Wilderness Crossing, which was imposed and extended only just before the gala, really hampered timekeeping and effectively prevented any recovery of time. The intensity of the timetable meant that any serious attempt at recovery would mean cancellation of services (particularly the shuttle which most people wanted to ride because of the 4VEP) so this was decided against. It's easy to be wise after the event. There were also issues in the early evening with the vacuum exhausters on the 37 which didn't help either.

It is very rare for any of our services, whether gala days or not, to run so late. Please be prepared to give us another chance, perhaps the Autumn Steam Gala ?