If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Post Christmas

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by olly5764, Dec 20, 2015.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Might not be a gala, but the SVR are running 5 trains each way per day (Four steam and a DMU) and a trip from Bridgnorth to Highley and back with the DMU too from Boxing day until 3rd January. The details of the timetable should be on the website, but if you are full of Turkey and fed up of tinsel, why not come and sit on one of the valley's trains and watch the world go by, use the trains to take you into the countryside for a good walk to burn the Turkey off, or simply take the family for a day in Brignorth, Bewdley or one of the lovely nearby country pubs?

2. D1039

D1039 Guest

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I always think a fabulous time of the year to travel with no leaves on the trees to impede the views

4. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    I will be there on a couple of days - hosting days out for non-railway (but local) friends. They can buy the lunch/drinks at Bridgnorth as I'm providing the First Class travel :)

5. olly5764

Engineer
    Good call! I'm firing the 28th, and Guarding the 26th, 27th, 29th, 30th and 31st, so I'll be around, it would be nice to see packed trains and the need to put extra trains on next year, although I must add it would be nice to see that at all of the preserved lines of Great Britain!

michaelh likes this.
  6. Woolley

Woolley Member

Anyone tell me what locos are rostered?

7. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

8. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

I quite fancy a festive trip tomorrow before returning to the grim (and flooded) north. I reckon 28' owes me a trip after spending Christmas eve selling chestnuts for it!

michaelh likes this.
  9. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Tuesday for me. As of now the weather forecast looks good, and it is the first day of normal NR rail services, so out comes the Senior Railcard!
    Just hope I can get a seat on the 10-30 ex-KDR. Last couple of times ended up wedged in a vestibule....Should be ok if they put on a reasonable length train, and of course no "celebrity" motive power at present.
    Edit: 8 coach set as per the traffic notices. Only looked after posting....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  10. D1039

D1039 Guest

Maroon set, 8 coaches per Traffic Notice on SVRLive. 7802 Bradley Manor on 'Meet the Locomotives' on the website

Patrick

michaelh likes this.
  11. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

There were a fair few folk about today on the 10.30 and 11.45 ex-KR. As this is effectively next year's timetable A, it'll be interesting to see how many use the DMU on it's middle Bridgnorth-Highley and back legs. Today there were a good few with some taking the DMU from Highley to Hampton and then jumping over to the southbouth service.

12. olly5764

Engineer
    The loco roster is From Bridgnorth, we have 2857 until Friday, when she swaps for 34027, From Bewdley we have 43106 tomorrow, then 7802 to the lose of play on the 3rd, with the DMU on the diesel diagram. The DMU is quite handy for the enthusiasts that arrive at Bridgnorth on the Bridgnorth based set, as it allows you to travel as far as Highley, then back to Hampton Loade to pick up the same steam hauled train again.
    From the no enthusiast point of view, it does offer the chance of the view from the end windows, assuming the driver has got the blinds up of course!

michaelh likes this.
  13. Woolley

Woolley Member

2857 has now sold it to me and the lad. Last few times I've been it's put on a mighty show so hope it does again

14. olly5764

Engineer
    Glad to hear it as I'm a member of the owning group! The manor is capable of putting on a good show too, although I'm keen to push the benefits of the DMU too as diesels sometimes get a bad press and they are as much a part of our railway history as steam, and the view over the driver's shoulder is often a good way of selling the trip to the other half and kids etc!

15. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

No Ian - Steam reigned from 1829 to 1959 - 130 years. In contrast Diesel Traction has reigned from 1959 till 2015 - 56 years. Diesel Traction has a very long way to go to become as much a part of our railway history as Steam, though the view from the front or rear of the DMU is worth the ride!

16. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Not sure you can really just base it on a length of time given the wholesale change that was brought about by the introduction of Diesel's which you cannot deny is an important part of our railway history as a whole although I do agree with the sentiment :)

17. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Ah well.... I should have known!

Yet another "wedged in a vestibule" journey from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth this morning.

Helpfully the station announcer was saying "standing room only" towards departure time, but the next train was not for one and a quarter hours, and was the DMU.

It is time that the SVR did some "thinking out of the box" in respect of the morning steam departure(s) from Kidderminster.

Cracking run both ways behind "Bradley Manor". This class of loco can really "talk" when working hard.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  18. olly5764

Engineer
    What would you suggest? We can't add any more coaches as 8 is all the loop at Hampton Loade can accommodate, it was full though.

19. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Can I ask what your thoughts would be as to solutions for the overcrowding issue on the early departure from Kiddy?

As I understand it the festive period timetable is to be the timetable A service for 2016. It isn't really very different apart from an extra BH - Hy DMU trip and the departure time of the first train off BH being about 40 mins earlier.

The timetable works very well for our general shoulder season loadings, and a train every 75 minutes or so seems to suit demand in general. I've not been down very much post Christmas, so can't really comment as to whether it has been suited to the passenger numbers we've seen over this period, but I frankly can't imagine a 4 train service could be justified.

Would be interested to hear your solutions!

20. olly5764

Engineer
    Must also add that the return trip of 46118 would not have involved being wedged in a vestibule unless by his own choosing