If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Loco Newsy News / discussions

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by acorb, Jul 26, 2009.

1. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would agree paint plus sacrificial anodes is the apparent way to go to reduce corrosion in a marine environment. Although not entirely unknown to happen, it would be most unusual to fill a tender with sea water. Those that know all about this stuff inform me the water we would want to put into our boilers should be of a much higher pH.

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    This is really off topic but topical to where the discussion has gone....
    The Talyllyn many years ago (1960's) lined the tanks of their locos with fibreglass. This solved the problem of tank corrosion and, although I'm no longer involved, I would suspect that it is still a success. I've done the same at Middleton with one tank with satisfying results and will probably use it on the next one. Ok, I admit that these are small tanks and relatively easy to do but there are firms out there that will do the job for you.

6619 on the NYMR had sacrificial anodes of zinc fitted once upon a time. I don't think that they were a success but could be wrong. 45428 has had its new tender tank panted with some fancy paint. Only time will tell if it is a winner.

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

4. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Excellent news! Coming along nicely now.

5. D1039

D1039 Guest

The boiler is now off 1501 for repairs. It is intended for the loco to be back in traffic for the 2011 season.
    (Reported on SVR On-line).

On 34027 Taw Valley, Ian Walker has now taken responsibility for completion of the overhaul. Work has recently focused on the alignment of the new left hand cylinder block. To set this up and to check the alignment we use our optical alignment equipment to check the alignment of the cylinder to the slidebar bracket. The main frames have also been aligned, this will enable correct set up of the axleboxes. This piece of equipment was used at Doncaster works and would have been used in the set up and correction of many LNER locomotives, large and small. New valve liner castings have arrived and it is hoped machining will commence on these shortly. There are pictures in the latest Steam Railway (Issue 372) and SVR Engineering website of Ian and Mark using the optical alignment equipment on the new cylinder.
    (Reported on SVR On-line and SVR Engineering website)

42968 returned from the Great Central Railway by 17 February and is back at Bridgnorth yard (facing North) for washout and boiler exam.

7802 - following the necessary driving and coupled axlebox work (all 6 boxes), reconditioned driving and coupled wheel springs and remetalling of some of the con/coupling rod bushes at Buckfastleigh, 7802 was returned to the SVR by 20 February. There follows a small amount of outstanding work and recoupling to the tender before a test run and re-entry to service becomes possible.
    (Reported on SVR On-line)

61994 The Great Marquess arrived 23 February for the gala, due to leave 16 March light engine to Crewe.
    (Reported by http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t10/t0302p.htm)

Patrick

6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

61994 suggested to arrive per uksteam 02/03 not 23 feb unless of course something has changed

7. D1039

D1039 Guest

Whoops, sorry, misread it

Patrick

8. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Excellent bit of news!

9. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

10. D1039

D1039 Guest

There's a feature on the SVR boilershop in the latest Steam Railway mag.

I noticed some work on 813's smokebox on 27 Feb so I guess work's started on that.

Althought the wheeldrop works will have intervened, that's 813, 1501, 2857, 6634, 7714 (boiler) and 34027 under 'works' at Bridgnorth, plus 4150 at Bewdley.

Patrick

11. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The RAIB investigation into the incident at Hampton Loade has been published and can be found here:
    http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/100408_R72010_Hampton Loade.pdf
    The link is also on the SVR forum and is in the public domain.
    It doesn't hold back and there is certainly a great deal that other railways and us can all learn from. It would appear that the SVR has had to make changes to it's procedures and sharpen up on a few others -definitely a wake up call.. I am sure others will have further thoughts but hopefully will remain constructive. The SVR has however taken on board all the recommendations and have added some of their own to prevent this happening again, including rebuilding the embankment at the location.

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

How is the ex-Crewe GWR 0-6-2T coming along? Bridgnorth are sorting everything other than the boiler I think. Any timescale?

Is a hire-in loco looking inevitable for the Summer for the SVR?

13. acorb

Comments on the SVR forum indicate a 'large' locomotive is being hired in the summer to replace the Swanage's 'taffy' which returns at the end of May, so yes it appears to have been organised. The Crewe 'taffy' is set to reappear next year at some point. 1501 and 2857 should return before it I would of thought though 2857 is thought to be not advanced enough for the autumn gala according to reports on the forum.

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Thanks Alan, and now a "Manor" down as well, unfortunate with the daily running just round the corner. Wheeldrop needed "yesterday" !

15. D1039

D1039 Guest

Updates from various sources

Currently available 43106, 5164, 6695, 42968, 7802 and 5764

As already reported by Nigel Clarke Swanage Railway's Locomotive Group’s ex-GWR 0-6-2T 6695 - remains on loan up to and including 31 May 2010. She's having a washout and boiler inspection from 20 April, per the SVR traffic notes.

As intimated above, 7812 had problems with her springs on 13 April and she was removed from service. She has two springs each with a fractured leaf, but unfortunately all the spare springs are currently away with the repairer. Also, the tender has a defective spring hanger bracket which requires replacement: a new cast item is in stock but this repair requires dropping one wheelset to remove & renew the bracket & the four securing rivets. Neither the wheel drop nor the jacks are available yet. It may be possible to lift the tender another way but this is pointless until the spare loco springs are returned. She is withdrawn from traffic until further notice, per the traffic notes, due to the uncertainty of a repair date. Taken from 'Bradleyman' on the SVR forum.

4566 has been continuing its “Valves and repairs” and 46443 is having a boiler re-tube (small), per the traffic notes. Both had insurance exams in March.

42968 is going to Llangollen for “The Corwen Patriot Gala” on the 23-25 April according to their website, in aid of the Corwen extension and the Patriot project. She went to Bewdley 15 April and is due to go to Llangollen on a low loader on 19 April.

And long-term absentee 7819 has an order for new bogie, driving and tender wheel tyres which will be delivered in the next 4 to 6 months and which will then be stored until required. The plan at the moment (although it may be subject to change) is out of Swindon sometime in 2012 with a view to returning to SVR; overhaul to start in 2013, with a return to steam in 2015. Attention now turns to raising funds to start renewing cab fittings or overhauling old fittings ready to be put back on the loco once the overhaul commences. For example, a new safety valve is required as 7819's was stolen during one of the raids carried out at Bridgnorth. To assist in the fund raising, the Rolling Stock Trust has a leaflet available, appealing for funds solely towards 7819's return to steam. These are available around the Railway and gives details about the Trust and 7819. Please pick up one and help us get 7819 up and running again. (SVR Online Forum and SVR Rolling Stock Trust April News)

Patrick

16. acorb

Sounds like the summer 'guest' could be needed sooner rather than later!

17. D1039

D1039 Guest

Traffic notes for Wednesday 21st April read:
    No Public Service. General Driving Charter ex BH with 43106 (46443 2nd choice)

From which I take it 46443 is expected back to traffic

Patrick

18. D1039

D1039 Guest

From R Hargreaves and others on SVR online forum

Today, 25 April, D1062 deputised for 7802 which failed, doing the first round trip and then being replaced by steam. D1062 will then work back to Bridgnorth in the light engine path arriving circa 1715.

46443 is still shown as being reubed in this week's loco news, by the way

Patrick

19. D1039

D1039 Guest

Corre tion. It was 6695 that D1062 deputised for.

4566 is back.

46443 is awaiting tubes

Patrick

20. D1039

D1039 Guest

SVRA's forum shows:

4566 - Lubrication and brake repairs;
    7812 - Valve repairs, washout and insurance exam;
    43106 - Tender wheel swap;
    42968 - Tender swap to be completed, and
    46443 - Boiler re-tube (small)

Both the Erlestoke Manor Fund locos 7802/12 are rostered for use for the EMF from 21 to 25 June

http://www.svr-engineering.co.uk/news/news.html also has an update on 686 and 42968's tender swop

Cheers

Patrick