If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Loco Newsy News / discussions

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by acorb, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Latest good news re decision to proceed with Bridgnorth wheeldrop project from SVR online forum:

"Decision is positive but funding is still required. So far £101,000 offered by individuals and through loans from supporters with approx £56k of this being loans from a few of the Loco funds based on the SVR. Estimated cost of installation is £150k and share purchase is available through the Bewdley office. 01299 403816"

Work expected to start early in 2010

This project is essential to maintain the current level of steam passenger service on the SVR (and no doubt may prove useful to other loco owners via SVR Engineering)

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Good point, SVR Engineering will have a useful asset to help expand contract work. Also longer-term overhauls can and do get in the way of a quick repair to a service engine and vice-versa. ( with just one set of lifting jacks as at present)

3. D1039

D1039 Guest

According to SVR Online, 5764 suffered a failure on the first Saturday and looks as if needs boiler work. It was due to come out of traffic during 2010 for overhaul.

Patrick

4. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    I remember hearing somewhere that a Standard 4 Tank would be visiting the SVR....what's happened to this idea?

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

80080 is currently having it's boiler overhauled at Bridgnorth. It has been mentioned the loco maybe run in on the SVR after completion.

6. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Ok...thank you

7. D1039

D1039 Guest

The company website says the restoration of 75069 has been deferred. That just leaves the six engines under active restoration - Taw Valley, 2857, the pannier boiler for 7714, 6634 and 1501, all at Bridgnorth, and 4150 at Bewdley.

Patrick

8. acorb

It would appear that the boiler of 75069 is in worse condition than first thought. By deferring the overhaul resources can be concentrated on 1501 which is a much quicker turnaround. It will be interesting to see how this effects 4150 whose boiler is apparently very good and the bottom end advanced..

9. 46118

Large Prairie 4150 would appear to be an ideal engine to bring along more quickly, having had extensive bottom-end work done as Alan mentions above. So no lifting Jacks occupancy required in the short-term before the wheeldrop is installed!
    £1 shares available from the 4150 Fund, 1 Miller Close, Staines, TW18 1TB, or if you are visiting the SVR via application forms available at the Erlestoke Manor sales coach at Bewdley.

10. 46118

The Wheeldrop installation work has started inside Bridgnorth shed with the breaking out of existing concrete flooring and pits. The next stage of the work is to start drilling holes for piling to go in, preparatory to excavating the large hole necessary for the machinery.
    Fortunately the work is not affected by the weather, but the size of machines used on the work has been limited by what will actually go through the shed doors.

11. acorb

Interesting discussion on SVR forum regarding SVR loco overhaul schedules the outline plan which is reproduced here..

Quote CW Walton from SVR forum:
    7325, from late 2011 completing in 2014
    46443, 2012 to 2014
    7802, 2015 to 2017
    7714, 2010
    80079, starting 2016.

But just remember that these timings are the outline plan forecast to 2016 and are for the major overhauls and therefore finance and resource could alter the sequence.

Also mentioned for overhaul is 45110 from 2013 to 2015 & 4930 2014 to 2016

I notice 75069 isn't included here, neither is 5764 and there are no plans for 48773 pre 2016 but some exciting locos to come.
    In immediate future of course we have 2857 (hopefully this year), 1501 and 34027. 813 is to be overhauled under contract after 80080 is completed later this year. Any news of plans to fast track 4150? No mention in latest SVR News.

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Of more immediate relevance - progress on 2857 showing the recently painted tender here:

http://www.2857.org.uk/2857_news.html

and with the boiler now tubed and chassis work well underway this will be a high class job!

13. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Aren't they all?

14. Johnny E

Johnny E New Member

Salesman
    Another top-quality SVR paint job there.

Very nice

15. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Wow! We have a hard act to follow to get 2807's tender looking like that! However work has started on painting it in GWR green and its inside again so a "proper" paint job should be possible. 2857's tender looks awesome however and its a challenge to follow but I'm sure the 2807 Team will try!

16. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Best of luck painting inside 2807's tank - there must be considerable ventilation/breathing issues in there!

It would be interesting to hear views on the painting of the inside of the water tanks of tenders.

Clearly there is a need to minimise corrosion; conversely if the paint does not adhere properly corrosion remains possible and there is a risk of blocked water feed filters.

Does anybody have long experience with sacraficial zinc blocks (anodes) in this context which demonstrates their effectiveness or otherwise and are there any issues between these and RO or treated water?

17. Johnny E

Johnny E New Member

Salesman
    You would need to use magnesium anodes as zinc ones wouldn't react in the sort of water used in loco boilers (you use mag anodes on the bottom of canal boats as the water isn't saline enough to activate zinc ones). They're really expensive too compared with zinc.

You would need a good in-line filter to catch the bits of magesium that fall off naturally as part of the protection process. The anodes would need to be replaced regularly too.

Mag anodes are made by few people as the stuff needs a hell of a lot of expertise and care to avoid exploding.

I believe some people have experience with anode fitment in locos and they may be able to offer more advice. Personally, I reckon a good coat of paint would be less trouble.

18. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The inside of the tender tank was painted a little while ago but some members who are smaller than me have been in there to fix the water level float and to make sure all is still OK. 2807's tender was basically complete for the 2007 Steel Steam and Stars event but was painted externally in a silk type black sheen to make it easier to look "workmanlike" behind Llangollen's 38xx. The finish was not brilliant (it didn't have to be) and the tender has needed a few things adding/fettling since so the Team is now stripping and repainting the tender "properly". As I say, 2857's tender is a very good one to aspire to from the look of the photo!

19. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

If water treatment is applied correctly corrosion becomes far less of a problem thus negating the need for sacrificial anodes.

20. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

I had a chat about this with a university corrosion professor during a MSc course. His advice was to paint the tender.

Quite often on sub-sea oil and gas items apparently you will have a mixture of paint and anodes, so that the anodes protect any areas where the paint has worn / chipped away.

Stephen