If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by threelinkdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re charters, I appreciate the speculative reasons for their being dropped, but I really wondered if there was a reasoned statement? I'm not out to make a point or, even less, to bash management - who have a difficult task balancing the demands of the likes us with those of "normal" visitors with a constant eye on legal, bureaucratic, PR and other "real world" requirements.
    I've never been on a charter but enjoy seeing the fruits of their work and can't see that there's much of a problem...

2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There isn't, three simple rules, the train doesn't move until everyone is in position, no one moves when the train is moving and on most railways keep at least 1.4m from the running line. The latter is the mandatory minimum distance on a 100 mph line, personally I wouldn't want to be that close to a train heading towards me at that speed.

Paul42 likes this.
  3. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

There is no tightening of H&S, the ORR has no problem with charters, it's just a convenient excuse.

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

as with everything the causes are complex and not as a result of a single action . All railways have to demonstrate that every aspect of the railway can be run safely and that the railway does what it says it does in its SMS . When events happen not once but twice and when you are subjected to a less than friendly conversation from those who ultimately govern whether you run or not it tends to focus the mind on not doing anything that may put you at greater risk of their intervention . Now clearly we each in turn will have a different perception of what puts you at greater risk and as I have always said whilst I don't completely agree with the decision I understand why . I could be like John and burn my bridges or I can continue to have the conversations and currently I follow the latter .

Just to reiterate the ORR have stated they are not stopping charters , however railways must satisfy themsleves they can be run safely

I do take heart that we haven't missed out too much , as the recent gala visitors all returned to their home lines straight after the event and in the case of the Saint whilst it stayed longer the weather played ball and most photographers went home very happy

Robin, D1039, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  5. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks, very helpful. As it was with returns and failures little could be done on that occasion.
    But the loss was in fact highlighted for me by a chat about what charters could have made with Pitchford+ Blood&Custard and the Saint/Lady+GWR Set. Or a freight with a tank loco plus a vintage lorry and men posed with crates, shunting poles etc...
    I do hope charters will return to the valley, but certainly agree that continued civilized dialogue is the only way that might be acheived.

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Okay I must of imagined that happening in my daily work life, when I talk about tightening I mean in general not just around charters, it’s the world we live in…

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Good post Martin and pretty much sums it up.

3ABescot likes this.
  8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I haven’t burnt any bridges, I’ll still visit the Valley, I just won’t be spending any money there or buy any more shares

9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I held back but with two younger mini me's keen to travel I did so half term week . It was a great day and reminded me why the SVR remains my happy place . Compartment to ourselves, autumn in the SVR , smart engine working and we even allowed ourselves a trip behind D306

10. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

I think many supporters of other heritage railways would prefer Helen Smith or some of the other SVR managers to be leading their railways instead of leading the SVR! I’m not a SVR member, my opinion is based on what I’ve read and seen. Maybe some decisions have been made that aren’t popular with everybody but on balance the commercial performance and vitality of the SVR suggests somebody is doing something right…

11. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Particularly the supporters of the West Somerset Railway possibly……….

Vulcan Works likes this.
  12. D1039

D1039 Guest

I’ve been involved on and off in SVR communications since 2010, and officially 2015-17 and 2019 to date. I’m a volunteer and one of the team currently putting together the 25+ news items in next week’s issue of Branch Lines. An aim is, as far as possible, to let the staff, members and shareholders know what's happening before the press.

I can’t claim things to be perfect, but IMO it doesn't warrant the comment.

Branch Lines is mailed to everyone on the SVR’s contact database who hasn’t opted out. Not all members and shareholders are on it, but all have been asked to register.

The reasons were given in March https://www.svrlive.com/blmar21 and included:

“The income we receive from lineside passes and privately-run photo charters is insignificant when compared to the potential risk these activities naturally contain. This means that to continue them makes little financial sense.”

“As the landowner, train operating company and infrastructure provider, if SVR Holdings continues to permit such activities we also hold liability for any accidents or injuries that the participants have.”

Furthermore, the MD is responsible for safety and can face personal criminal sanction, including fines and imprisonment.

Whether one agrees with the decision of *the SVRH board* or not, theirs is to me a reasoned argument.

Me too

The announcement also said:

“The SVR acknowledges that it needs high quality images of rolling stock, both for its own use and for publication in the heritage and general press. It plans to establish a small group of official volunteer SVR photographers who will have lineside access, and who will undertake rigorous and regular safety training. In return, they will be asked to give the Railway full and free access to their work.”

I'm not involved, but that group’s underway.

And 9466 Martin

Patrick

MattA, ghost, Johnme101 and 4 others like this.
  13. Herald

Herald Member

Another freeloader then? Hardly the way to ensure that the things we enjoy survive.

Paul Grant, Johnme101 and maureen like this.
  14. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

So says someone who doesn’t volunteer. You don’t know me and can’t know what I put in to railway preservation.

15. Herald

Herald Member

I think we all understand you do a great deal with Clan Line and other things which are to be commended but your post is about SVR. Would a football fan with season tickets at other grounds and a Sky subscription be welcome to watch games for free at other clubs on the basis of their contributions elsewhere?

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

A rather peculiar analogy, if I travelled on the trains I would expect to pay, I have just paid £160 for two photo charters on another railway. I just choose not to support one financially. I have replaced my SVR membership by joining another railway, it’s my free choice. How many linesiders are free loaders I neither know or care but the ones I know aren’t

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  17. D1039

D1039 Guest

Welcome to your November Branch Lines newsletter, another bumper issue of news from around the Severn Valley Railway for our members, shareholders, and supporters. Click on the link to open, and we hope you enjoy reading it.
    https://www.svrlive.com/blnov21

Patrick and Lesley
    Co-editors

Note:
    There's a further shareholder communication and I've seen letters are out, I've not had mine yet

18. Bluenosejohn

Bluenosejohn New Member

Thank you for your continuing efforts with the newsletters. It was nice to see the feature on George Heiron whose artwork is so evocative of the golden age of steam and who is well worth looking up on Google images for anyone not familiar with him.

D1039 likes this.
  19. daveb

daveb Member

I received mine earlier in the week. Unfortunately there was an error with what I received. The second sheet of the letter didn't match the first, so the first page ended in the middle of a sentence and the second started part way through a completely different sentence. I've emailed the "any questions please contact..." email on the letter, but haven't had a response as yet.

20. D1039

D1039 Guest

The SVR was on Britain's Scenic Railways on More4 yesterday evening with a glimpse behind the scenes.

You can watch on All4 catch up - it's episode 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk