If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by threelinkdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Very nice day out on the valley today, 7812 performing brilliantly on a heavy 9 coach set - plenty of noise! D182 was on the other set, my first ride behind this machine and it looked and performed immaculately.
    Trains were very well loaded, the TTI said the 10am had passengers boarding at just after 9, there were not many seats left by departure time. The cream teas also looked very popular on the LMS dining car.
    We left at 15.30 due to the deteriorating weather and the need to drive back to Mid-Wales, but it looked like the Bridgnorth customers were getting some bonus class 20 haulage with the DMU, hope nothing too serious with it so soon back in service.

3ABescot likes this.
  2. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very similar experience to us last weekend on the 1000 which we joined at Bewdley for a return trip to Bridgnorth. We were surprised how full it was. Erlestoke Manor looked great, and sounded magnificent on Eardington Bank accelerating from the Sterns slowing. Here's a couple of shots, on Eardington Bank and running round around Bridgnorth. SVR-EardingtonBank-2024-02-10-41.jpg SVR-Bridgnorth-2024-02-10-60.jpg
    Let's hope this popularity continues through this important year for the railway.

3. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I do hope the camera actually does lie and the carriages are less grubby than they look. .

4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

I can give you the name, and contact details of those in charge of the C&W works if you’re really that concerned and want to help put things right Paul. I really suggest you have a look at previous posts.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    hyboy, mgl, Platform 3 and 3 others like this.
  5. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

They were fine, inside and out. No pictures to prove it as we joined at a through station and only got out at Bridgnorth long enough to grab lunch from the buffet. I guess foreshortening from zoom and reflections from the dappled reflected light from the cutting accounted for most of the streaky appearance.

Matt37401 and acorb like this.
  6. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Youre more than welcome to come and help with the repair of our carriages.
    Im not going to go into great detail but with diminishing numbers of staff, other staff having to take up the slack, has resulted in a reduction of carriages being repainted/ repaired. We have a plan going forward but it will take time to implement.

Matt. Any C&W questions or queries can be made through myself.

keith6233, WSR_6960, mgl and 8 others like this.
  7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The carriages were more than presentable inside and out - the LMS dining car is a work of art.

8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]4930 Hagley Hall by Martin Creese, on Flickr

Spent my first Volunteering day on the Railway on Sunday in 2024 . What a different line it is now . Fabulous atmosphere and good to catch up with so many friends . Took lots of pictures for people at Arley so they could have group photo's together, tea room at Arley is fantastic now and lots of people on the trains and out and about .

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  9. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

10. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

Visited SVR Saturday, coincided with open house event as it happenned, travelled from Brignorth. Seemed quite busy overall Booked on line the previous evening, email confirming came OK but Saturday evening had an email saying we were about to visit and giving the run down what to expect ! Kidderminster seemed switched on re what was going on for open weekend with annoying announcements but not so at Bridgnorth, had to ask how to get to Engine shed, poorly signposted from station and no announcements or info really on station and as for the carriage and wagon sidings , never found d them to visit. Generally the staff friendly but maybe the Bridgnorth station staff could have been a bit more dynamic, Engine shed staff however quite different and keen. I think someone above commented on the coaches, externally getting a bit shabby, one set looked like it could do with a clean, not up to the old standards, inside ours not too bad though. Interesting to be able to go into the Engine shed, all very smart with the new floor!

11. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Unfortuantely we no longer have paid staff for carriage cleaning so it’s entirely reliant on volunteer input. The insides of the coaches we manage to do pretty well, but obviously the outsides a much bigger job and our manpower is low. As such the outsides tend to only see the carriage washing plant when shunt staff are available. It’s not ideal, but unfortunately it is what it is. Reintroducing the Carriage Cleaners to the wage bill wouldn’t end up doing much good really.

12. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

Also surprised nit operating during this week, in our area schools still on holiday this week so still a few families visiting in the area. Most other attractions seem open, including Welshpool railway.

13. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

Unless it puts people off because they can't see properly out of the windows !

14. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

The weather must play a part in whether people travel or not. This is exacerbated by the weather people taking delight it seems telling up about the latest storm.

15. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Speaking of weather, I was a bit surprised that 4930 had to stop on the Saturday afternoon run to Bridgnorth to put out a small lineside fire near Fishermen's Crossing. It must be that long hot dry spell we've been having. :confused:

MattA and 3ABescot like this.
  16. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Unfortunately it’s that time of year. Dead foliage and so on from last year drying out. Always around this time.

17. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

There were a couple next to the tunnel in the past week as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

18. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Indeed but look at the photos on this very page and there are large areas of the trackside covered with dead bracken awaiting - the perfect tinderbox? In the days of my active involvement on preserved railways controlled burns (with the backup of the railways own fire engine!) would be the order of the day before the season started, it was never a perfect solution but it helped.

19. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    You are correct. New UK Health and Safety however dictates that a lot of training is required for that sort of thing. And also willing people to do it! We don’t have many willing people to go out doing that sort of thing

20. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    It's a difficult one, all the management techniques have significant drawbacks.

More and more places are trying to manage growth using tracked robotic flail mowers and increased spraying of vegetation- but it's quite a long term strategy to achieve.

Chris