If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by threelinkdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    1) The cost per mile should go down as the mileage increases.
    2 ) That's probably because the first train from BH wasn't until the afternoon?
    3) Makes my point even more!

2. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No no, it still costs exactly as much to run the train per mile! So the cost will go up for every mile.

And ultimately more people go to HY, so the cost will always be higher. More people want to go to Premier Inns than Travelodge, which has the higher cost?

3. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit

Only curious, but does anyone know how many of that 80% arrived by rail at KR, and if so from where ? Bridgnorth of course only has road access, and from personal experience a lot of road works in 2023 not making access to the SVR the best experience.

4. 2857Harry

2857Harry Member

Conductor/Guard
    Not actually sure on that to be honest. Higher at events by quite a way I’d say.

Kiddy car park is normally full on normal running days so I’d say not many come by train

jsm8b likes this.
  5. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

It might cost less per mile on a mainline trip, but the SVR is all stop start so surely will be pretty much the same everywhere.
    Not quite like a longhaul flight where you will use less in cruise than the take off and landing cycles is it.

6. JBTEvans

KR to AY is approx 7.25 miles, which means at £14 that's less than £1 per mile for a return trip. KR to HY is approx 9 miles, so that's more than £1 per mile for a return trip at £21.50, despite being a longer trip. The maths makes no sense.

7. JBTEvans

The passengers are paying more per mile for a longer trip. It doesn't matter where the people are going, they are using the same trains.

8. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It’s not a unique situation matching the highest prices to the most demand, two examples off the top of my head are the GWSR where Cheltenham - Winchcombe & Winchcombe -Broadway are the same distance but the Broadway ticket costs more.

Another example is VT on the Shakespeare Expresses where travel from Birmingham to Stratford fares are more than the other way round. Perhaps @JBTEvans is surprised at their accountants too….

Matt37401 likes this.
  9. JBTEvans

Because the Shakespeare Express is heavily used from Birmingham and only really attracts diners on the Stratford to Birmingham trip (with no chance of a break for the passengers), better to charge £10 a ticket and get some people on it than attract nobody. Good business sense.

10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Why don’t you approach those in charge of the SVR and offer them your expertise in marketing? I’m sure they’d be very grateful.

11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Well done, so on the basis more people travel to Highley from Kidderminster than from Bridgnorth what is the difference? Also sounds like good business sense to me.

Spitfire and Matt37401 like this.
  12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Well I think you have just explained the reason why Arley is cheaper & answered your own question! Why not offer a cheaper fare to Arley and attract some more bums on seats? It's certainly a pleasant place to visit in the summer and they were trying a joint ticket with the arboretum at one point.
    Demand pricing has been around for years, as a parent limited to booking holidays to school breaks, trust me the different prices for the same aeroplane journey can be eye watering..

MattA, Matt37401 and Pete Thornhill like this.
  13. JBTEvans

My main point was that it costs more than 50% extra to travel 2 miles from Arley to Highley, in either direction. It's a lovely piece of line, but I don't know if it's worth 53% of the Kidderminster to Arley or Bridgnorth to Highley runs.

14. JBTEvans

yeah, that's amazing business sense, let's turf people off at Arley instead of Highley where there's the Engine House complete with cafe and gift shop. :Dead:

Kidderminster to Highley should be about £18 in my opinion, if Kidderminster to Arley is £14.

Oh well, whatever, I only ever buy day rovers anyway.

15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Eh??!!
    You've lost me!! Not sure where turfing people off at Arley has been raised??!!

Day rover buyers really aren't the target market for these fares, nor the ones going to Highley. They are aimed at people who want a shorter train ride to somewhere pleasant, who are probably turning up on the day as a spur of the moment decision. A good value fare maybe the difference between them travelling or not, i.e new business.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    Sheff likes this.
  16. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

You do get a fair few walkers at Arley, I know my Dad’s case is a bit different as he’s a shareholder but he very much enjoys a stroll along the river, a cheeky pint in The Harbour and then getting the train back, there is most definitely a market for people like that, same as those who used to Kayak down from Bridgnorth. Is that still a thing or did that finish with Covid?

17. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Canoe parties are still a thing or certainly were during the summer.

Matt37401 likes this.
  18. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    There seems little talk about Bewdley as a start point which I find is often full on the days I visit. Doesn't SVR produce a "Line Guide" showing the availability of opportunities at each station [e.g visit Bewdley for river / town visit; visit Highly for Engine House; visit Arley for village / river walks to Highley; visit Hampton Loade of river walks / country pub etc] and make available to local hotels / BBs etc

19. Dead Sheep

Dead Sheep Member

How much is a ticket from Arley to Highley? Could some 'split ticket' their journey from Kidderminster to Arley?

20. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

It’s a while since I’ve been, but I drove to Kidderminster from Shifnal because the timetable just didn’t work for me from the Bridgnorth end. I then headed home via the M54, adding time and distance to my journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk