If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by threelinkdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It’s like they’ve been looking at on old Wrenn catalogue for inspiration. :)

2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We seem to be having the same discussion on two threads. This one and "Newsy News". A coat of paint is just that, but can someone please reassure me that 34027 won't be getting one of those ruddy TTTE faces ?!

3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Those you will be majorly upset are hardly going to be pacified by the practical reality and benefits of the change.
    Personally I am happy with anything in BR or wartime black.

4. 30854

Retired
    Give that man a Pacer ..... :)

5. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Holy cow, I've just seen some prices of old Wrenn bits… I wish my Uncle had kept hold of his stuff!

Simon

6. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

The owner can do what he likes but Taw Valley was rebuilt in 1957, well after the war ended. She also never carried the No. 21C127 after nationalisation.
    The SVR seem to be ploughing their own furrow as far as liveries for 34027 is concerned but I’m not convinced about their policy.

3ABescot likes this.
  7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I can understand the rationale behind the purple repaint and the renaming/renumbering but I’m struggling to see the point in this latest idea.

3ABescot and Chris86 like this.
  8. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Its quite an interesting "what if"

At the end of the day, if it generates some interest and is a bit of fun (and also serves an interim purpose) then why not?

As said elsewhere.....got to be better than purple!

Wonder if they will borrow an SR smokebox roundel too......

Its also making me wonder if there is something else going on- filming work perhaps?
    <edit>
    My immediate thought was that she would make quite a reasonable "polar express" looking loco in black, with a big headlight and the various other canadian/American appendages- don't think the SVR do those yet though?

Chris

Matt37401 likes this.
  9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Not with the licensing fees these days :D

Matt37401 likes this.
  10. Pete Thornhill

Well the Class 50s he’s been involved with have carried a few what if liveries so I guess it’s a follow on.

11. 30854

Retired
    Actually 21C127 wasn't originally outhopped until the war had been over for the best part of a year .... and in my books, "Dave Brewers Rule No.1" applies in any event.

12. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

The definitive preservation of a BOB/WC has to be the preservation of 34081 by Ian (@Spamcan81) and his team at the Nene Valley Railway. The SVR seem to be more interested in publicity than authenticity. Perhaps it’s something we enthusiasts have to accept. Heritage Railways are no longer in business to appeal to us, but need to spread their wings and appeal to the general public.
    FB216F8E-3149-4B0F-9BAD-2D44932D803B.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Johnb likes this.
  13. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

A step back to the 1940s event. I think one Mr Putin may have a slightly bigger version on. Who knows, maybe it will be finisbed
    It's set out in the press release
    "
    ", but also because it offers us a very practical short-term solution. We need to replace 34027’s purple livery because that was purely for the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee year. Applying matt black paint will be a hugely labour-saving job, just as it was when it was used during the war. We plan to carry out this out in January, so the loco is ready to enter service when we reopen in early March.

“34027 will be needed to haul public services through till autumn 2023, at which point we’ll withdraw it from traffic for an intermediate overhaul, which is likely to see the locomotive out of traffic for a year or so. Following this essential maintenance, we’ll repaint it back into full British Railways green with red and black lining. Putting it back into this livery is definitely something we want to take our time to complete to the highest of standards"

Personally, I'm not a fan of war re-enactments or the airbushed 1940s scene. There's a heart-breaking moment in one of the footplate memoirs I've got, where the driver says to the (fireman author) that he's just lost his son at sea. Rather makes a mockery of all that "nostalgia" to my mind.

14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Makes a lot of sense to myself, why go to all the expense of a full and proper repaint when it’s going to be pulled apart in a years time?
    Much as I didn’t agree with its ‘Lilac Liz’ guise for our late Queen, you can hardly say it’s appropriate to stay in its current livery for next year.
    TBH as ‘mixed traffic’ locos Ian shouldn’t the likes of 34027 and 34081 wear some sort of LNWR Black anyway? ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That bridge looks fit for purpose to me. By that I mean a robust crossing with hardly any opportunity for a person to see the track below, or heaven forbid, jump onto it. Safety would have been the driving principle.

But I guess if you are a serious photographer with your standard portable ladder it poses no problem.

16. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Thankfully ‘81 was built before BR introduced their dull corporate scheme so she can happily stay malachite. :p

Chris86 likes this.
  17. Pete Thornhill

I suppose that’s one of the problems with 34027, there isn’t much variety in the choice of authentic liveries although it’s not stopped it appearing in Maroon, purple and now black. I do think the malachite of 92 squadron looks better than all three of those options mind!!!

Chris86 likes this.
  18. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    There is no variety for a rebuilt Bulleid. This is a good illustration of what happens when you bring in an MD who knows nothing about railways. It’s a great shame as the Valley used to be a line that could present as near historical accuracy as it’s possible to do in the 21st century. What’s happening is not just about the livery of one locomotive. It was rather sad to give up membership after many years but I’m pleased that I’ve replaced it with membership of two grown up railways. I know a lot of the volunteers aren’t happy with what’s going on.
    No doubt the new management will move on to wreck another heritage attraction in due course.

19. Pete Thornhill

That was exactly my point….

I think you’ve already given your viewpoint & lack of enthusiasm for the current management once or twice, there’s things that I question too.

However, in this case I’m not sure you can blame the management, it would have required the owner to agree and to be honest the explanation given as to why seems a sensible reason to me given the engine is to have an intermediate overhaul in about a years time.

20. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

I guess the owner could have said no if he didn,t like it.