If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR banks

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 73129, Jul 1, 2009.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Sky News weather has put out a warning for possible flash flooding in the West country and Wales on Friday. Can anyone give me any info about what has been happening at the SVR to stop there banks from being washed away again if they get any flash flooding in their area. When I hear about flash flooding or possible flash flooding in the West country I always think about what happen at the SVR a few years ago.

Thanks

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I believe in the area's affected/repaired, either new drainage was added or the existing ones improved or both, i also believe a few of them (Sterns mainly) have been stabilised, there's no way to 100% protect against earthworks being washed away but it's ceratinly in a better position to cope than it was before.

3. porous pot

porous pot New Member

It wasn't the river in flood and therefore causing bank eriosion that caused all the problems on the Severn Valley - it was the rainwater running off the hillsides that overran the railway, blocked and collapsed the culverts and undermined the track.

The Met Office has issued severe flash warnings for parts of the U.K. today, and there have already been reports of "a months rainfall in 1 hour" in Ireland, very similar to that experienced on the Severn Valley. Let's hope the repairs stand up to the job.

4. D1039

D1039 Guest

True, but there was a section of embankment threatened by river erosion, a member walking his dog came across it. Gabions (stones in cages) were used.

A viaduct also had its wing walls badly damaged and it and the viaduct foundations had to be replaced/strengthened at great expense.

Some years earlier some very big lumps of Clee Hill limestone were deposited in the river at Sterns to prevent erosion further weakening the formation.

The last accounts included an amount of over £50k in routinely inspecting the new and cleared and repaired culverts.

I too am hoping that the SVR has had its one-in-200 years experience.

Patrick