If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Steam Gala on 23 -25 September 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by D1039, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Macko

Macko Member

Thanks for all the nice comments, it's appreciated.
    Jane, if you wanted to buy any prints, just drop me an email at duncan@langtreephotography.co.uk.
    My "day" job is social and commercial photography as at http://www.langtreephotography.co.uk. Railways and Landscapes are a hobby, there aren't many people who can get rich on taking pictures of trains ;)

Cheers

Duncan

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Tom - I think you did a grand job. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days!

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Yes and I had to go to Shrewsbury this morning - and it was in Shropshire too!

4. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Once again a fantastic and very busy 3 days, topped off by managing to avoid the ‘delights’ of Yawnado. 828 imo was the star of the show and is a credit to those who maintain her. Hopefully it won’t be too long before she returns for another stint below the border. Regarding the overcrowding, it may be beneficial in terms of finances for the railway, but for the fare paying customer it certainly does not add anything to the day out. I think alternatives need to be looked at but I understand the issues of manpower that could make these unviable.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    And what's the problem with Tornado? Going by the number of people crammed onto the trains she was working she was a very popular addition to the Gala fleet.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Good post. If the SVR had contrived somehow to ensure less than full trains, no doubt the same detractors would be complaining about not enough passengers.
    Galas by their very nature are designed to bring in the crowds and it seems this one was right on the money.

7. R_Green

R_Green New Member

I had a fantastic weekend, Firing 2857 on the Goods Friday evening, travelling Saturday and then Hooking on/off at Bewdley on Sunday.
    :)
    Very well done to Mr Clarke for producing an excellent timetable and eveyone else organising the event, thorughly enjoyed it. In between working I was able to take the odd photo or two, My efforts of the gala can be seen at...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/green_steam

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Well said. It wouldn't be the SVR ASG without the shuttles. A gala is about using the full potential of the line, and providing something different to the norm. Chuffing back and forth the full 16miles is not different! If you want that pick any of the days the line is open, and avoid these 3days.

9. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    There are crowds and then there are crowds. On Saturday there were too many people trying to travel on the SVR. Highley is definately a victim of its own success. The situation that occured there on Saturday afternoon needs to be looked at by the railway. Tornado, itself, is a crowd puller in its own right. It brings in the general public as well as enthusiasts. How many non enthusiasts went away with a bad impression of the SVR? I really do think that it was a mistake to run Tornado on a gala weekend. Sorry to criticise, but that is my view.

10. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What 'situation' was that?

11. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Quite simply, too many people. It has already been mentioned that when 828, Kidder bound, pulled in with its 6 full coaches, the station staff had to ask people not to attempt to board the train. I was on the next one pulled by 6024. This was full departing Bridgnorth. When Highley was reached, well, how people got on, God only knows. As I said previously, Highley is a victim of its own success.

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Many people wish to get off and visit the Engine house, but these people then need to get back on at some point. Unfortunately the platform is only 5(?) coaches long, so trying to unboard / board a 8 coach set can be difficult at times when there is a significant number of passengers. Friday and Saturday this was highlighted an awful lot sadly. It was probably the one 'true' negative for what was a really good gala.

13. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Uploaded my photos from a brilliant 2 days at the SVR...locos put on a brilliant show! Highlights for me were 46443 on Eardington on the Satunrday and Sunday mornings, as well as 828 leaving Hampton Loade and on Eardington on Saturday.

[​IMG]
    46443 by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    6024 King Edward I by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    60163 Tornado by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    828 by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2857 by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

For the rest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teenagesteamphotography/

Video will be up soon...

Thanks,
    Lewis

14. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Seems I was lucky with the trains I travelled on !

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    I noticed it more Friday tbh, though then again I avoided 60163 and 828 for the main part of the day.

16. ernestmembaar

ernestmembaar New Member

Secondary School Teacher
    I visited the gala from Friday evening until late Sunday afternoon. I found it thoroughly enjoyable despite travelling on some packed trains and thought most people on board these were still in good spirits and were doing their best to move around those trying to get on and off at stations such as Highley.

Many people have questioned train lengths and shuttles and loop lines and suggested some very expensive long term solutions, but would one simple solution be to build a temporary scaffold platform over the third line (goods loop?) at Highley? This would effectively make it a 2 platform station for the event allowing shuttles to travel into the loop and unload and the through trains to pass. Would it even be possible to similarly extend the main platform by a couple of coach lengths? Many preserved railways have opened extensions with similar temporary platforms. Once set up one year, it could be packed away and re-used the next etc.
    Cons - would potentially ruin one or two station photographic locations, would cost to set up (but possibly could be sponsored by a local firm?), need to be risk assessed safety checked etc. (but this might only have to be done the first time?), locomotives might have to be timetabled carefully on the shuttles depending on restrictions
    Pros - would ease considerable congestion and loading/emptying of trains, allow a more effective shuttle service, not a long term solution of great expense and unnecessary for all but a couple of weekends a year, could once proved for one occasion be re-used as required

Otherwise I would like to add my thanks to all who organised and ran the event. I for one find the night running one of the most special parts as I am not old enough to remember the steam era at night. While I can see steam trains operating by day almost any day of the year if I wish, night running with all the stations atmospherically lit is something I find truly magical and would hate to see the SVR forced into a two day event at the expense of this.

Just my thoughts,

Karl

17. Oli15

Oli15 Member

A lovely selection of pictures and videos from everyone to what was a wonderfull gala put on by SVR. With the amount of locos on offer i was very impressed with their efforts whilst there on Saturday. This was my first visit to SVR, and i will definitely be going back.

For now, please see my shot of 6024, which looked lovely with headboard and reporting numbers on the GW set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oli_g_15/6185716635/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Cheers
    Oli

18. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Just finished a selection of shots from around the Sandy lane area from Fridays session! Congratulations must go to all at the SVR. As usual another splendid gala!

http://rickeborall.zenfolio.com/p214951653

There are more to come shortly when I've finished sorting out my computer. Dam things all bunged up. I reckon it need a clear out!
    Will post the rest when its sorted out!
    Regards to all....Rick

19. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

It was a great line up, 828 being the special one. The weather was good on Friday and Saturday, while ok on Sunday.
    It was good to see so many around especially on Friday which is always the quieter of the three days. The over night services were well used.
    While the overcrowding was unfortunate, it is a sign that the railway was doing things right to attract people to come. Lets hope next year's Spring and Autumn Galas doing the same.

20. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    It's a thought looking into. Of course, the points leading off No.1 siding at Highley to the headshunt, No.2 siding and the engine house are not FPL'd, which would be the main issue. If that could be got around somehow, and the safety case would check out, then it really is a concept worthy of consideration, in my opinion.