If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Steam Gala on 23 -25 September 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by D1039, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I know there have been 'issues' about overcrowded late trains and now (apparently), locomotive failures but what a fantastic job the SVR volunteers have done this weekend. I travelled on Friday (the only time I used my three-day ticket) and was impressed with the service, attitude and professional standard of all those I came into contact with.

It was great to have a photographic permit and I met some very nice people at the lineside (and one or two idiots). Well done SVR !

http://johnleyland.smugmug.com/CD/Heritage-Railways/18814037_v8JNgX#1496441139_zD7MvXZ

2. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

That's very kind of you John, thank you, I wasn't sure how it would come together after trying a few different angles so I'm pleased you enjoyed the end result

3. GWR76

GWR76 New Member

I would echo these sentiments. Although I had a good day yesterday, the overcrowding on the trains and the platforms put a downer on things. I am a firm believer in 'paying' for my visit to a Gala, and as such had a day rover. I spent most of the day regretting my decision. I stood in the corridor on every train I jumped on, face to someone elses armpit. I visit Galas for the locos and a bit of casual photography and would prefer to travel the line by train but yesterday the chaps in cars and on motorbikes seemed to have the better deal.

I understand that once upon a time this event was an 'enthusiasts weekend' and perhaps the SVR and other preserved railways need to consider the arrangements with reagrd to visitng locos.

4. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

A great gala as usual but I've never known it to be so full. I arrived at 0845 and only just got one of the last spaces in the Kidderminster car park. Not sure if the main attraction was 828 or Tornado but every train seemed to be packed, even some of the "locals". Not quite sure what can be done about it - the West Somerset had a similar situation a few years ago and started running the Spring Gala over two weekends, but then of course they have never attempted overnight trains which for some is the attraction of the SVR gala.

One point that maybe should be addressed is overcrowding at Highley. It's a lovely little country station but totally inadequate for gala days since the Engine House opened. It take ages to get people on and off the trains there especially with the short platform and it gets unpleasantly crowded. Should the SVR consider building a second platform there (removing one of the loop lines) so that trains could cross there without ruining the feel of the station? That could increase the frequency of the service.

5. 981smithy

981smithy Member

6. D1039

D1039 Guest

I asked the same question a couple of years back! The feedback was:

1) The service frequency "bottleneck" is between Hampton Loade and Bridgnorth and there's no obvious place to put a loop, as Erdington and the bank are in the middle of it!
    2) Highley is one made up ground - witness the damage caused during the 2007 storms, and the site is also constrained by the road to the south. It could only be done with considerable expense and would this be worth it in view of 1)

As I said above I don't speak for the SVR but I will make all the comments known to the directors I see - though as they are also volunteers I'm sure they were there!

Patrick

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

What a fantastic gala, travelled Saturday and Sunday and yes the trains were full but at no point did I feel uncomfortable. I've experienced a lot worse at 1940's events on the SVR! I don't know whether starting my journeys at Bridgnorth made a difference, certainly these trains seemed quieter than those originating from Kidderminster. I left Tornado and the Caley til the end of the day and again it was quieter then. I think there is certainly a case for extending the duration of the gala, but whatever you do SVR do not do away with night running! Some of my best experiences behind steam have been after dark at SVR events and it is what makes the SVR the best!
    Highlights: 46443 & the Caley storming up Eardington at 11pm on Saturday, 92212 taking 10 coaches up the bank and hardly breaking into a sweat & some storming runs on the locals and lastly Tornado just a few hours ago showboating for the photographers and doing 0 to around linespeed in just a few hundred yards. Finally a driver brave enough to open her up! The Caley was simply stunning and I managed a few good runs behind the King too, too often in the past it has crawled along at snails pace but it seemed to be worked on all the runs I did behind it. This gala was popular because it had everything and the SVR deserve our greatest thanks for once again producing the year's premier steam event. Well done and thanks to all involved.

8. acorb

To answer a few questions about 828, from snippets I picked up from SVR staff. She was failed today with injector issues and withdrawn before any dodgy situations arose. She is due to work on few days at the start of October on charters (subject to repairs now of course) and on 31st October. The SVR are then to undertake contract work on her wheelsets before she returns north at the end of the year. Please note this is third hand info, don't shoot the messenger!

9. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    Had a great visit to the gala, shame about the lunchtime drizzle at Kidderminster, only managed a few quick shots from distance of the King, enjoy this quick video i made of the GWR 2857 freight engine sliding to a halt in the Bewdley MPD made a few bystanders giggle.
    please view and comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsS6iU6vftI

10. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
  11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Excellent, Austin, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards

12. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Maybe the rails are so well lubricated that was avoided.

I visited on Saturday to see that Caledonian engine, the day time stuff was good, however if in future there wasn't an engine I specifically wanted to see I'd probably only go for the night running because it was the best bit and wasn't crowded.

13. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'll give it a go.
    The loop at Hampton Loade is only 8 coaches. So two 8 coach trains can pass fine. When one train is 9 and the other is 8, the 8 coach train has to go first. This means the 9 coach train is allowed to block the points and is allowed out first. Of course this can't be done if threre are two 9 coach sets as there are both too long and it can't be done. Arley loop is longer so it isn't a problem.
    NB the number of coaches is based on mark 1's.

14. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Stopped OK at the right place though

15. acorb

Thoroughly enjoyed it Austin, nice to see different locations. The shot of the Caley leaving Arley was especially good, it left like a scalded cat! Your footage was sharp, well thought out and with excellent sound quality as ever. 5*

16. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    A brilliant 2 days at the SVR! Photos and videos will be up soon!

Thanks,
    Lewis

17. RASDV

RASDV Member

Busy, yes, very! Best event of the year? Unquestionably! Britain's ultimate steam gala? I think so!
    After an amazing action packed Saturday, (so action packed that for the first time on a trip out my camcorder ran out of battery!), rising with the early birds I managed to catch the worm, so to speak, and got to see No:2857 leave Bewdley with the goods, running slightly late. It is the atmosphere of the early mornings, and after dark that the true magic of steam can be found in my opinion,
    All the locos were superb, but for me No:828 stole the show, I think a return visit ought to be arranged some time! It was also nice to see No:6024 getting a proper run too, the 9F's long whistle at Northwood Lane really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! It seems every time I go out to see No:43106 it fails, but No:4566 made a delightful subsitiution
    Okay, some trains were slightly over full but this did not detract too much from the experience and the timetable was great. Spent Saturday riding a variety of services and mainly concentrated lineside efforts around Victoria Bridge and in doing so discovered a few locations around there that were new to me.
    Anyway, enough of my waffling, here is the bit I know you've been waiting for:
    HD video (taken me no less than 24hrs to edit with Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and upload to Youtube, much of this time was taken up by the PC being stupid, never mind!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6aTiiqT5Iw

[video=youtube;T6aTiiqT5Iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6aTiiqT5Iw[/video]
    8 photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/115609395788457768316/SVRAutumnGala240911 (captions to be added in full later)
    One of our (unique?) reports on the gala: http://totally-transport.co.uk/svrautumngala11.aspx
    H
    ope you enjoy the photos and videos, appolgies about some of sound quality where No:4566 whistled too loudly and the slightly wobbly clip where the tripod was playing up! As always any comments and feedback are most welcome, particularly how I can produce my videos faster! 24hrs is unacceptable!

18. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
  19. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    That sums it up nicely. It means that on any day you can have one nine or ten coach train out, but no more. I heard a couple of staunch moaners about the overcrowding and, whilst I appreciate it was unpleasant, if anyone can suggest a few sensible cost-effective ideas that will work I'd like to hear them! Mine would be to consider making it two-weekend, that formula having been proven by large galas elsewhere, and if possible operating the southerly shuttles as far as Highley. Probably best done with a railmotor or autocoach to allow it to run into the platform, for the passengers to disembark and for it to get into the yard sharpish.

Highlights for me as a volunteer? Friday evening in Hampton Loade 'box with the electric lights out and the wall-mounted oil lamp doing the honours, and cadging a lift to Bewdley from Arley on the brake van of the freight!

20. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Not having travelled on the gala due to being confined to Bridgnorth MPD for 4 days. I was very pleased to see so many people around. 828 struggled with 7 coaches on her test run on tuesday hence the reduced train. There was nothing we could do to ease the crowding on trains behind 828, 6024 and Tornado simply because of the sher amount of people that want to travel behind them.

Overall a succesful gala. At one point on saturday morning we were down by 30 mins but by saturday evening we were right time. Wh
    While indulging on a pint of Town Crier (one of only a very small handful of beers left) at the railwaymans last night. To see the last train depart and then arrive on time on the sunday night is an achievement.
    Mr Clarke and associates must be congratulated for what turned out to be a damn good weekend with alot of fun.