If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Steam Gala 20th-23rd September 2018

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Dec 25, 2017.

1. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    See #200.

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sunday running was about 30-45 minutes down by late afternoon . Water didn't seem an issue when I visited Kidder with recessed loco's taking water from the hosepipe in the dock and 2857 and 813 filling at the cranes

Speaking with those around the consensus was the delay started when assembling the dining train for 46100 . 70000 was allowed south earlier crossing 63395 at Bewdley as opposed to Arley presumably to get passengers back for trains home

lots of people about so I hope the financials are good and many thanks to everyone on the railway for all their efforts in creating so a superb event

Bluenosejohn and RobT like this.
  3. daveb

daveb Member

Generally, weather excepted (which the railway can't do a lot about), an excellent event. Thanks from me to everyone who helped to make it happen. The highlight of the two days that I was there (Sat and Sun) was the climb up Eardington Bank by 46100 in the dark on Saturday night.

DaveB

4. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I'd hardly call 4 trains a fair reflection.
    My trains too maintained their section times except being delayed by shunting at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster.
    There is no TSR near Eardington, the 15 mph at Sterns is a permanent one so is factored into the timetables.
    I too deal in facts.

free2grice and RobT like this.
  5. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    Many thanks for the information. As I expected, some of the delays were attributable to being held outside stations awaiting signals,and having to make request stops at the two halts. It should also be noted that locos 70000 and 46233 are subject to additional speed restrictions over certain structures. Interestingly, the timetable seemed to work a lot better on Friday.

RobT likes this.
  6. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    My footage from a frankly brilliant weekend filming during the Saturday and Sunday of the gala. Great to see the Brit and Duchess running again, especially. 2 of my personal favourites.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Indeed, and I couldn't find much difference between the two. Saturday was busier and significantly wetter which probably, I feel, have a big impact on the differences in time keeping.

RobT likes this.
  8. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Big thanks to everyone who made for an enjoyable 4 days. Given the choice of an ambitious and interesting timetable with some risk of slippage, or a simple timetable with lots of delays at stations built in to make sure nothing runs late, I'd opt for the former every time. Just my 2p worth.

9. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    I’ve visited the Autumn Gala in the past, usually just for a day trip, but this time I decided to find a cheap one night bnb to fully experience the atmosphere of the after hours and be amazed by steam at night, and I wasn’t disappointed, Friday was delved in evening sunshine as was the Duchess leaving Kiddy. Britannia also in the sun plus evening shots at Bewdley ticked a big highlight for me. Plenty of photos to sort through and video footage. Needless to say I shall be staying overnight for next year’s. well done to all SVR loco crew’s, staff ( especially the Bewdley buffet coach staff for feeding myself and my partner, who needs lactose free food)
    Looking forward to all your footage guys.

10. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I don't understand why anyone who enjoys timing steam trains would want to do so at a gala. Due to the fact that there are so many additional trains running and the vast numbers of passengers involved, it must be the most common time of the year when services are most likely to run at a slower speed, be delayed or even cancelled.

Admittedly you won't be able to travel behind a visiting engine but why not visit the railway when it's not so busy? You may even enjoy your day. ;) <BJ>

michaelh likes this.
  11. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Delayed or cancelled maybe, but no reason for them to run at a slower speed. Indeed I had some absolutely excellent runs over the weekend, mostly those in the dark as it happens, with plenty of noise and going right up to the mark.

12. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Plenty of reason for them to run at slower speed in fact although not necessarily ones you'd be aware of, so just to explain my comment -
    1) Large locos and double headers (yes there were none of those this year) are subject to additional speed restrictions over certain structures.
    2) Extra passengers = extra weight, meaning slower acceleration, one average 11 stone human man not seem significant, however a full train including standees can equate to an extra coach and a half in weight.
    3) The way to get more trains into the time table is to increase certain station dwell times so the start to start times are more even, leading to a longer journey so lower average speed end to end.
    Hope I have explained this well enough.

13. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

There is another factor in section times which has not so far been mentioned. On a fixed load Locomotives with large driving wheels are appreciably slower accelerating than, for example locos such as 2857 with its 4ft 7" driving wheels. Given that the maximum line speed is the same for both and the fairly short distances to the next stop/speed restriction the smaller wheeled locos will offer some section time advantages on a railway such as the SVR. Add in the occasional need to set back to start for certain 3 cyl types and it is quite easy to loose a few minutes using large wheeled locos which would not otherwise be lost.

14. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Same here! Though was able to get some of Britannia as they parked it on the other side near the goods shed.

I took the midnight train from Kiddy, in the coach I was in there was a slightly unpleasant altercation between one noisy group and a old guy who decided to announce to them (and everyone else) how he was disgusted by their behaviour and that a bunch of w*****s were spoiling his evening - he had clearly had a few too. Anyway ended with the group leaving the carriage, at least one was a volunteer as he told the bloke he'd been up at 3am lighting up the locos. As I say not very nice, yes the young guys (says me at 28 :D ) were in high spirits, but there's a polite way to ask people to be quiet. The event programme has the part about intoxicated people being asked to leave, I wonder how intoxicated before that's enforced. I seem to remember the first time I went on the night trains in 2015 there was a bouncer on board, haven't seen that the last couple of years though.

15. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    From my experience driving 'Royal Scot' on Saturday, I can guarantee that from a standing start it will out-accelerate any engine from within the SVR's home fleet. I do however take your point about certain other 3-cylinder locos.

olly5764 likes this.
  16. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I went a few years ago and did three days at the gala - one night in a hotel, the second on the railway. It was when they used to faff around with set swaps and terminaters in the middle of the night rather than simple end to end. Woke up at 3am, got chucked off the train by the guard, not a clue where I was! Thought Bridgnorth but no, it was Bewdley. I'd walked the length of the platform before realising!

17. daveb

daveb Member

You weren't on the regulator for the 18:45 off Kiddy, by any chance?

18. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Thanks for comments David. Yes, its a pity that alcohol seems to make some people rather aggressive. There's always plenty of 'quiet' seats on the overnight and my enjoyment was not spoilt in any way. I too recall seeing 'security' on overnight services a couple of years ago. I must say I do feel a great deal of sympathy for the volunteers on board the trains especially having to clear up the detritus so the stock can be used during the day!
    It is a unique experience and I really hope the railway continues running the services.

To add to the other comments, I think I would have been completely bemused if I had been woken up rather than sort of 'coming to' in my own time! At least it was getting light when I woke up at the northern end of the line and I could recognise where I was fairly quickly!!

19. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    No, I was on for the earlier part of the day.

20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I must admit to not being terribly impressed at being kicked off at about 6:30 Sunday morning at Kidderminster this year, saving grace was the warm museum and its refreshment room!