If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Steam Gala 20th-23rd September 2018

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My footage from the Saturday of the gala, filmed at Kidderminster, Highley and Bridgnorth. Skip straight to 0:14 if you want to skip the intro.

2. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    horace and green five like this.
  3. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    Or some of us not going again

4. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    The Severn Valley Railway during their Autumn Steam Gala featuring visiting engines 63395, 6233, 70000 and 46100. Also hauling services was 813, 1450 and 2857.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

green five and 60017 like this.
  5. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Hi all, yes, another excellent SVR gala. Many thanks to all at the railway for their unstinting dedication and hard work - very much appreciated.
    Spent Friday and Saturday both traveling and linesiding and once again, the overnight trains have a unique and special atmosphere. A few youngsters do use the trains as 'moving parties' but seemed to be pretty much burnt out by about 0100!
    Not sure what the chap wearing a Devon flag made of Bewdley at 0330 on Saturday morning! My excuse was a plan to phot the Brit and the Duchess 'on shed' - rather thwarted by a rake of coaches stabled in P3! No problem as I then boarded the next northbound train planning to get off at Highley to see the local train moves; however, I fell asleep and woke up at Bridgnorth completely oblivious to the Arley, Highley and HL stops!
    Regarding the late running on Saturday, yes an window was accidentally (?) broken on the GW set on a northbound working and there was about a 20 minute delay as the platform staff made a temporarily repair so the carriage could remain in service. I don't think there was any chance of regaining time later and it looks like further slippage ensured. Such is life I guess and very unfortunate for passengers using public transport to get to/from the railway.
    The trains on both days seemed well filled (including the overnights!) and Saturday seemed very busy indeed despite the weather noting the forecast turned out to be rather inaccurate!
    In summary; an excellent event with all locos performing well (noting that I believe there were 3 centenarians in use!) and folks I spoke to seemed to be enjoying their time at the railway. Again thanks to all involved, much appreciated.

eggbert, Graft on, gios and 5 others like this.
  6. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

813 is 1901, and 2857 and 63395 are both 1918.

Andy Louch likes this.
  7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Just on my way home after three fabulous days. Thank you to everyone who made it happen, it was an absolutely cracking gala. Loved the night trains, especially the total racket emanating from the Manor's chimney! I was surprised how busy the Saturday overnighters were compared to Friday's. The Duchess looked magnificent especially on the LMS set. And the increased local trains compared to some recent galas were appreciated.

Speaking as someone who has relied on public transport to get there and back, I'd still rather have the more operationally interesting timetable with the inevitable risk it carries. My only gripe with the late running today though was the autotrain overtaking the Duchess to Kidderminster, I think that was a very poor decision. I very nearly took this train safe in the knowledge that even if running was an hour late I'd still make my train home, but because of that decision I would have missed it. I'm sure there must have been some folk on that train hoping to catch the same train I did who ended up in an awkward situation.

A long shower when I get back to remove 3 days worth of coal dust and ash from my hair and a deep sleep, ready for 9am lectures tomorrow morning, back to reality... So pictures will have to wait a day or two.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Bluenosejohn, RobT and Andy Louch like this.
  8. wazza588

wazza588 Member

Home after a 500 mile round trip. Very enjoyable weekend though the results on the back of the camera aren't particularly good.....

Here's a couple anyway.
    _DSC0166.JPG

_DSC9653.JPG

_DSC9719.JPG

_DSC9738.JPG

Full set will be posted on my website later this week!
    Thanks to all involved.

Richard

9. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

If these; ...."aren't particularly good".....there's no hope whatsoever for my efforts!! Wonderful pictures!
    Andy

10. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

[​IMG]
    Shot from the end of the weekend. Thanks to the SVR for putting on a show like no other. The atmosphere of the night running gets me every time, watching the Duchess departing Bewdley just as darkness fell yesterday sticks in the mind particularly. With the matching LMS set it you could imagine it was a 1930s express heading off into the night to hammer up to WCML! I also particularly liked the local train running with the Siphon attached, with 813 on the front it really looked the part. Also the Q6, what a cracking engine!

On the late running, someone on the train today said they had run out of water at Kiddy - anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  11. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

This rings a bell, may have heard it from some station staff as to the reason why the crossings went all out of sync towards the end of today.

12. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Utter rubbish! Most of the trains I was on kept their section times

free2grice, RobT, michaelh and 2 others like this.
  13. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Thank you to all at the SVR for their hard work, a very enjoyable weekend. Just got in after the long drive home and only had time to quickly edit this one of 6233 descending Eardington on Friday.

46233.001.jpg

James

14. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

few snaps from Friday and Saturday - will put some more on Flickr later.

813 -3 Highley 22092018 .jpg 46100 -2 Bridgnorth Loco 21092018 .jpg

46100-1 Oldbury Viaduct 21092018.jpg 46100-3 Bewdley South 22092018.jpg

46233-6 Bewdley 22092018.jpg 46233-5 Oldbury Viaduct 21092018.jpg

70000-5 Bewdley 21092018.jpg 63395-2 Bewdley South 22092018.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  15. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I only deal in facts. On Saturday 22nd the four trains I was on lost 30 minutes 59 seconds in total on sectional times compared to the WTT but only 5 minutes 24 seconds at station stops overall. In fact time was gained at the Bewdley, Arley and Highley stops, but lost at Hampton Loade. No doubt on a normal day the sectional times would be OK.

16. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    Out of interest, which trains did you travel on, and on which sections was the majority of time lost? It is certainly difficult to maintain section times between Hampton Loade and Highley if a stop at Country Park Halt is required. Ths is due to a 15 MPH temporary speed restriction through Alveley Woods. I was driving on Saturday morning, and although there had been some timetable slippage, the section times on my train at least were all maintained.

RobT likes this.
  17. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    mention

18. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    These look better larger of course to save you faffing around. DSC01678.JPG DSC01688.JPG

19. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Lost or was the train held outside stations for platforms/route to be clear?

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  20. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I would never criticise the train crews as the running between stops was generally good. It was the starts and stops (I have already commented on why) plus out of course delays that caused the lost time. The 15 mph restrictions don't help either including the one near Eardington at MP 147. Anyway chapter and verse. 1000 ex Kidderminster with 6233 on 8 for 282 tons tare/310 tons full. Kidd to Brewdley 13/09 booked 11. Bewdley-Arley 16/21 booked 13. Extra stop at Northwood. Arley-Highley 8/54 booked 8. Highey-H.Loade 10/46 booked 8. Stopped at Country Pk Halt. HL-Bridgnorth 20/56 booked 15. Stopped by sigs(?) on Oldbury Viaduct. 1130 ex Bridgnorth 70000 on 8 for 274 tons tare/295 tons gross. Bridgnorth-H.Loade 15/44 booked 15. 1148 H.Loade-Bridgnorth 63395 on 8 for 240 tare/265 tons full. H.Loade to Bridgnorth 16/22 booked 15. This despite a good climb of Eardington bank 22.5 max 19.5 min. The 15 restriction at the foot of the bank is the problem on this stretch. 63395 on the 1315 Bridgnorth. To H.Loade 17/26 booked 15, To Highley 12/01 booked 8. Stopped Country Pk Halt. 1438 Highley to Kidd 2857 on the GWR set depart 33 late. To Arley 8/26 booked 8. To Bewdley 20/37 booked 13. Sigs stop outside. To Kidd loop 11/07 booked 10. I have had similar in previous years. The evidence is that the sectional times are too tight on main Gala days. In my days as a timetable planner I knew that if you got the basics right that was half the battle. We went by train this year and will in future so a robust timetable is important. Despite the poor time keeping we enjoyed the day and so thanks to all for their hard work.