If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by acorb, May 6, 2009.

1. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

That is a lineside pass only location

2. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does anybody know which ways the locos will be facing?

3. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Smokebox first into either Bridgnorth or Kidd,tender/bunker first in the opposite direction.

Shame Fairlie didn't make it to standard gauge to please all the festoon veg.

4. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

After their trial at the spring gala does anyone know whether evening rover tickets will be available? We plan to get over Friday late afternoon and would like to travel Friday evening overnight into Saturday but can not justify a 2 day rover when we won't be getting to the railway until 4 or 5pm. Any advice would be appreciated!

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    I thought was just a trial for the Spring Gala ?

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Evening tickets will not be available due to the continous service but the Rovers do have an overlap- Just to clarify the validilty of day rovers they are as follows:

Validity of Day Rovers:
    Fri: From the first train Friday until (and including) the 2315 ex Bridgnorth and 2240 ex Kidderminster.
    Sat: From Friday’s 2315 ex B’north and 2240 ex Kidder until (and including) 2359 ex B’north and 2230 ex Kidder.
    Sun: From Saturday’s 2359 ex Bridgnorth and Sun 0010 ex Kidderminster until the end of Sunday’s service.

Validity of 2 Day Rovers:
    Fri Sat: From the first train Friday until (and including) Saturday’s 2359 ex Bridgnorth and 2230 ex Kidder.
    Sat Sun: From Friday’s 2315 ex Bridgnorth and 2240 ex Kidderminster until the end of Sunday’s service.

Validity of 3 day Rovers:
    All trains Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Members rovers are available on production of a valid membership card and are NOT available in advance online or via the phone (members rovers are charged at senior citizen rates).

Right to answer your question, as I see it you have two options.
    1. If you only wish to buy a one day rover. Arrive for 4pm and travel until the last train that the tickets are valid from. Depending on which end you are traveling from on the Friday these are the 1.2315 ex Bridgnorth and the 2.2240 ex Kidderminster. These services arrive at their destinations at: 1.0036 and 2.0001 that roughly gives you about 8 hours of time at the gala which would be a full day (length wise) as a lot of other railway's galas.

2 (The Value option!) Instead of getting there for 4pm delay your arrival (or spend the time linesiding or something). The reason for this is that the trains mentioned in option 1 are also the first trains that Saturday rovers are valid on. The Saturday rovers are valid until the 2359 ex B’north and 2230 ex Kidder. These arrive at 0116 (sunday) and 2350 respectively. Therefore a Saturday rover is valid (based on Kidderminster) from 2240 Friday night departure until the 0116 sunday morning arrival. That is over 25 hours you can ride - Overnight Friday and all day Saturday!

7. acorb

Many thanks for your help with this, the value option 2 looks very attractive! Enjoy the gala.

8. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Well, having bought my WTT, don't think I'll bother...

Without giving too much info away, as the svr are trying to sell it, a few reasons why I'm not interested...

> I know it's only preference, but of the 4 svr resident locos I rate, 3 do b****r all, and the other does LITERALLY nothing.

> Of the visitors, the two which would be most likely to make a decent sound are generally restricted to load 4 all weekend, save for numerous double headed runs, and when one of the two finally does get a solo run load 7 it involves a 2 and a half hour layover at Bewdley in the small hours for what appears to be a very unusual (polite way of saying 'pointless'?) shunt move!

> Load 4 on the overnights is likely to be more than a little cosy?

> FAR too many trains running with reduced length rakes. I realise the svr want to run as many trains as possible, but I go to a gala to listen to the locos!

> Having looked through the timetable, I can see only 2 runs on Saturday and 1 run on Sunday which appear to be of any real interest, speaking personally!

I realise these are all personal views and you can't please everyone, but on more than one of these points I'm sure I'm representing far from a minority view!

Look out Embsay, you might be selling me a 2 day rover now! :(

9. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

As far as i know it is usually 4 coaches on the overnight trains, i've often read this is to reduce the noise for the residents near by? Perfectly understandable.

10. Robert Heath No.6

Perfectly understandable, yes, but not what I had in mind. I can certainly see your argument, and I agree that running load 4 would be better than nothing, but it's simply not to my taste!

11. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

The problem with the 4 coach all night rakes is they often consist of quite a few compartment coaches, which results in as few as two people sharing a compartment laying over 6 seats. This probably results in quite a few people not being able to make use of these services. I would hope that this year there would be less compartments, but no doubt they will still be used.

I can only assume you haven't been to the SVR before, because you mention lack of noise with 4 coaches, I can assure you on every visit i have paid to the SVR, the locos have made plenty of noise, regardless of what load they are hauling. ;)

Why not just enjoy the gala for what it is... it could be worse, the SVR could have just a small handful of locos running with no overnight trains. Suddenly 4 coach services don't seem as bad? :cool:

12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

When set C was used over the last few years it depended which end you started. After the split the one set usually had more compartment stock than the other. Certainly last year in one set the only compartment stock was the brake - the other 3 were open!

13. Robert Heath No.6

Well, it all depends on personal taste. For me, Embsay, the same weekend, has more to offer, so I'll go there. I'm not going to be one of these who sits at a gala moaning about it, I'll vote with my feet!

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

No you have a good moan on an internet forum.

I haven't seen the Working timetable yet but my impression from other who have is that they have tried hard over the 3 days to keep people happy and in any gala that is something to be applauded . Remember noise levels are also down to the crew not the load and how hard or softly the engines are driven

15. Robert Heath No.6

Fair point, but this is a discussion forum after all. You can't please everyone, and that's fair enough, but if nobody put their point of view across you wouldn't get much discussion!

16. Sidmouth

I'm further intrigued by your enthusiasm for 4 coach trains at Embsay albeit with smaller motive power vs ..... 4 coach trains on the SVR . Similarly your original post never explained which engines it was that you did want to enjoy

17. Robert Heath No.6

Well I deliberately refrained from posting which locos I considered to be underused as the svr are selling the information, and I don't want to be seen to be giving this away for free! Suffice to say it's not a weekend for fans of panniers!

And you've hit the nail on the head with SMALLER MOTIVE POWER. An industrial in the right hands will generally make a hell of a lot more noise load 4 than a larger tender loco on the same load! :D

18. acorb

I understand (from SVR Forum) that 7714 deliberately wasn't timetabled owing to continuing fears about it's health and the fact that it possibly wouldn't be available by now -in the event it is holding out quite well at the moment but the risk couldn't be taken. Can't speak for 5764, though in previous years it has found gainful employment on locals. After the big engine galas this looks to be a very pleasant change and should provide a lot more noise and entertainment than big pacifics drifting at 20 mph.. You will find me mainly at a front end window up either Eardington or the climb to Bewdley tunnel enjoying said entertainment on Saturday!

19. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    You can travel behind a Pannier on load 6-8 on a lot more days of the year at SVR. Gala weekend is about doing something different, with different trainsets/freight trains/service patterns etc that are not seen on normal weekends of the year, and its only logical that the guest locos are used more than the home fleet anyway. Gala timetables never please everyone, but the planners must be doing something right with the high number of visitors who make the weekend an integral part of their annual calendar!

20. Sidmouth

5764 is on the quintisential branch line train , just the way it was