If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Support coaches

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by steam_radio, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes, but it ruins my photographs!

Idunno...

2. steam_radio

steam_radio New Member

A great philosopher once said,

Worry about the things you can change, not the things you can't.

that is what applies here.

3. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I do fail to see what point you are making with anything you are saying.

Since when did rakes have to fully match?

http://gallery62603.fotopic.net/p49971043.html This shot must be ruined then? ](*,)

And does this make your eyes bleed? http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightb ... B5&start=0

Maybe you should join the A1 team and pay out for the support coach to be repainted...?

As littlenobby has already said, the people who run these trains only run them for photographers... #-o

4. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Feasible, maybe, practical never. As has been said already train gets to say York, how much extra shunting is then needed to take the loco off the front, collect the support coach, go to yard for service, come back to station put support coach on the back and loco on front. Come on get real.... Oh I forgot, you are not in this world are you. ](*,)
    Why not go and put forward this brilliant idea of your on the other forum and see what Ian has to say about your proposal. :-#

5. baldric

baldric Member

Changing operation requirements, have you ever tried it? It takes time to shunt a coach from one end of the train to the other, when this involves occupying other sections at major stations you have to fit in between other trains, thus what could tak 5 mins in a yard may take over an hour,this time would then need to be added to the end of the day or the servicing reduced, meaning possibility of failures goes up.

Photoshop is a more feasable solution to all of your problems, in fact why not just get your favourite loco, stock and scenery and recreate the whole thing, you can have the relevant colour of engine, coaches, trees, and headboards, not people in HV jackets and not wires unless you want them.

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    [attachment=0:eek:484hd7k]dont-feed-troll.jpg[/attachment:eek:484hd7k]

7. steam_radio

steam_radio New Member

I wasn't complaining that they get free rides, I was just pointing out that saying the coach should be there for the owners/crew to get the experience is a bit of a non-point.

As for shunting/turning, that still doesn't preclude the possibility of a rear position on some tours, or for half of a tour, if it was with the right stop locations. As long as it was predictable, then where's the real barrier? It really does come down to just lugging hoses it seems, a problem which is not insurmountable. I guess the real issue is there is no incentive to even try to do it, unlike say, going out of your way to ensure the right formation etc for a photo charter.

8. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Ok, the orginal question of why the support coach is at the front of the train has been answered, so I'm locking this thread, as there appears to be a Troll on the loose!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.