If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Strathspey diesel Monday 19th September cancelled, now Mon 26th

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Foxontour, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Strathspey railway will be running diesel haulage on three Mondays in September.
    Monday 5th September - class 27 on the service train and the class 31 on the Royal Scotsman.
    Monday 12th September- class 31 and 37, top and tail all day on the train.
    Monday 19th September - mini diesel gala, the 27 on the first train, on the second train the 31, and on the last train the 37.
    https://www.facebook.com/StrathspeyRailwayDiesels/

Paul Grant and 5944 like this.
  2. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Unlikely to get up but thanks for advertising these Foxontour. Its a huge change in thought process that vilified diesels a long time ago. Is the 26 still being worked on?

3. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

The two 26s haven’t been touched in years. I remember 025 being started up, but it must be a good ten years ago. 025 is the better mechanically but its bodywork is completely shot, especially around the cab, last time I moved it part of the cab floor fell onto the bogie. 002 has the better bodywork but is mechanically poor with a major engine problem. They are not directly owned by the railway, they come under a group called The Highland Railway Diesel Locomotive Company Limited, so not high priority. The diesel guys have enough work on keeping the working locos in order, but they often say that one day we will get one of them going. At least they are undercover now, a new shed having been built at Boat of Garten.

4. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Foxontour. I recall 025 being worked on for a while and 002 hasn't run in my memory. Like you say, they're undercover which will go a long way.

5. Foxontour

Foxontour New Member

I was at the railway today when a decision was made to cancel the diesel event on Monday 19th and move it to the following Monday 26th. The following is from the Strathspey railway face book page.

The Strathspey Railway were saddened to hear of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II last Thursday, our thoughts are with King Charles III and his family at this time.
    We have taken the decision to cancel all booked diesel-hauled services on Monday the 19th of September out of respect. Customers with existing bookings will be contacted directly over the coming days.
    Monday the 26th of September will now operate as a "mini gala" with all three of our resident heritage diesel locomotives, 27 050, 31 327 and 37 674 running - keep an eye on our social media for full details.