If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stewarts & Lloyds Locomotive Liveries

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Steve, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A bit of a long shot but does anyone know what was the early livery of Stewarts & LLoyds locomotives employed on the Corby Ironstone system? In particular I'm after info on the Kitson locos supplied in the 1930's. I know that latterly they were painted a plain Mid Brunswick Green with a thick black line behind the handrails with a simple 'S & L Minerals Ltd' painted on the cabside. All the photos I have turned up show this livery but I find it hard to believe that this was the livery in the 1930's.

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Eric Tonks is your guide (vice The Ironstone Quarries of the Midland Part VI - THe Corby Area); on Page 190 he confirms the standard livery as supplied was black with red coupling rods and white S&L lettering on the tanks. The green livery you mention was applied in 1954 when the Minerals and Steelworks became separate entities, each with its own locomotive stud, workshops and operating practices.