If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

STEEL, STEAM & STARS II - Llangollen Rly - 18 to 26 April 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Jul 5, 2008.

1. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Glad you liked the 2007 gala.

The SSSII Beer festival will be open for nine days (Friday to Saturday) so there will be plenty of opportunity to sample the beers. \:D/

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some great points raised in this topic, i've enjoyed reading it.
    I do a lot of line side photography, and have to wear a hi-vis obviously, when at Keighley the only access to the trackside i use is off the platform, therefore i have to have the hi-vis on whilst on the platform, but as soon as i manage to get all the equipment off my back, the hi-vis comes off, the other week a member of the staff at Keighley very aggressively told me to take my hi-vis off whilst walking up the slope to the platform, i was very embarrassed of course and soon told him that i was just coming of the trackside, say if i go to an event where i dont have access to the trackside then i dont even bother taking it with me, just something else to carry ](*,) it really aggravates me too when people walk around with them on and they have no reason to.
    Also if you're going to have staff at photographic points, are we going to have to pay every time we move to a different position as i shall only be visiting for 1 / 2 of the days and will be trying to fit in as much as possible and to come all the way from Leeds it's going to cost me loads in diesel etc, I’m not against paying towards the event, also if they are public places then I suppose you can’t enforce the charges but for things such as platform tickets I think will bring quite a bit of money for enthusiasts wanting to take photos in stations.
    I missed the 1st gala #-o so i'm really looking forward to the event, hope to get down to see the cavalcade and get some great footage. What are the dates?

3. NDTSDN

Visitors who purchase a SSSII Rover Ticket automatically contribute to the funds to build 6880.

What we wish to encourage are donations (Gift Aided!) from the linesiders who do not have a ticket. After all they will want to come and see 6880 steam in the future !!

Dates for your diary: 18th April 2009 to 26th April 2009

4. MrPerfection

MrPerfection New Member

Thanks for your interest in our Gala. The dates are just above your post! Your website link mentions teenage. If you are 15 yrs or under then the child ticket applies and that will be great value. If you are going to Barrow Hill Rail Power look out for 6880's cab, where we will be showing footage from the last 2007 SSS Gala and distributing the 2009 Gala Leaflet.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Re: And it begins...

How shall i word this !

I think such a response is somewhat disappointing and certainly puts me off attending . I appreciate the need to maximise revenue from an event such as this , but there must be a more civilised way of encouraging all those who do visit to contribute

6. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    Re: And it begins...

Nope, i'm 17 in a few weeks, the domain was set up the other year, but i am still getting around to getting the new one, which i hope to have sorted very shortly. I shall see what i'm doing a bit nearer the time. Hopefully i'll be able to drive myself there :D:D Got my provisional and first driving lesson booked :D:D
    I thought that at first, i don't think its the correct way to go about getting revenue in, but i'd be willing to donate something as i won't have time to travel on board the trains.

7. NDTSDN

We are a civilised lot really !!

8. MrPerfection

MrPerfection New Member

Don't worry we don't have enough people to go out blackmailing photographers! We simply wan t to make the event pay for itself and leave some profit to help with the building of the Grange.

All photographers are welcome, indeed we much appreciated having the use of photographers collections from 2007 to use in our marketing. All we ask is that in return for witnessing a big and costly show, a financial contribution should be made, however small.

Quentin McGuinness
    (Perfecting the Gala for everyone to enjoy!)

9. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    NO. Once you make a donation you will be given a label, similar to the rover ticket label apart from it'll say CP (contibuting photographer) or something similar. This is so that when you move on you are not asked to make a second donation (though if you want to we wont stop you!)

I'm not too sure abou the platform tickets thing though as the platforms get crowded enough with passengers, and with paying more they should get priority on the platforms. Plus you can get a varied selection of photos from the lineside and around the stations anyway without going on the platforms.

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Sidmouth wrote

... and in the same vernacular my response is that ecoed by the ELR during their many Galas when photographers appear out of the mist, complain about every misadventure / incident that affects their "perfect shot" then disappear without contributing to the event.

I realise its hard to monitor but since the bigger Galas such as SSSII takes so much finance to arrange - despite the large contribution sourced from fare-paying passengers and photography charters - that it seems only fair to try and minimise the number of "freeloaders". Whilst the team's approach may not be as polite as some would like what other way is there to ensure that non-paying visitors contribute to what is sure to be an exceptional - but expensive - Gala instead of expecting others to pay for their entertainment.

To put this discussion in context let's remember that for SSSI the movement costs alone were in the region of £36,000:00 and those for SSSII are expected to be even greater so every penny is needed and freeloaders need to be discouraged. As l'il bear has noted efforts are being made to identify those who contribute by issuing a "CP" sticker or similar in order to target those who seek to benefit at someone else's expense.

11. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think that my 'wind-up' suggestion about collecting buckets & orange overalls has struck a few raw nerves. I think we'd better just stick to the hi-vis ban !
    Maybe some of the photographers whose pictures are published in the mags will donate a portion of their fee to the Grange fund.
    Repairs to the 'Elizabethan' Buffet Lounge Car have now commenced, following her little shunting bump, & all being well we will be able to operate the bar throughout the Gala.

Bob.

12. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Thomson1706 wrote :

It may be a wind-up to you but those paying for the expensive arrangements that are part of large events are seriously concerned at the attitude of some people who see no reason to contribute in the form of travel tickets or purchases from the railway of goods and / or services but are very happy to benefit from the experiences made available. Accepted that most people will contribute in some way but there are a large minority who do not see why they should - some even object to paying the local farmers for the privelege of accessing their land to photograph the trains.

For those of us prepared to support the railway and the locals such attitudes do not help the good relationship which normally exists between the local population and the railway and which such freeloaders threaten to damage.

So it might be a wind-up to you but it's a serious problem to the organisers.

14. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    As a 'Grange' shareholder I know how much money we need to make, & was merely trying to point out that we will miss out by giving some spectators a free view of the proceedings. If all paying participants are wearing an admission sticker for the duration of their visit it will be obvious who the non-payers scattered around the railway are.
    Its like in the old days climbing over the wall at a football match. I got caught doing this at Goodison Park & they made me get back in & watch the rest of the game.

Bob.

15. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer

How much do you think photographers get paid by the mags??!! Somehow I feel this suggestion won't raise a fortune. Even if 100% was donated it'll hardly match the cost of a day rover ticket.

However, the free publicity the photos generate is likely to generate alot more interest and potential revenue for the 6880 chaps.

I do have to chuckle with the usual knock the photographer comments, I struggle to see why some people are so obsessed with "freeloaders", surely there are bigger things to worry about.

And as the usual the "bigger picture" is missed.

No one has mentioned how much revenue photo charters with potential visiting locos might raise...

16. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Alot of if's and maybe,s.
    But they wont help pay the bills of the event.

And in this time of financial tightening of purse strings of an event doent make a profit the event may not happen again.

So in my view fotters should contribute like everyone else...

17. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

All this talk is going beyond what we will be asking. Photographers are highly valued by us and some of the pictures from last years events were simply amazing.
    As has been stated there is not nearly enough of us to stalk people with buckets it's just we would appreciate a donation from those who turn up only to take pictures.

What will more than likely happen will be someone wearing 6880 gear asking you very kindly and respectfully when your not concentrating on a shot if you are enjoying the event and would you care to make a small donation towards the project. You will be thanked for your donation however small or large by the 6880 member and given a sticker to show that you have in a small way helped are project forward.

Hi-Vis are not needed on are line as, what has been said before, there are no line side passes so there is no need for one.

I look forward to the return of the Thompson Buffet and hopefully it will be fully operational during the gala as i would sorely love to have a drink along it's long bar.

It really is lining up to be a great gala and we hope everyone will who comes will enjoy what we have planned.

18. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Sensible words, no one will object to that at all. Many other railways do a similair thing.

I saw the Thompson buffet at the weekend, it looked amazing! Can't wait to see that in action. Looked like the red/cream had possibly had a repaint too?

19. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    I agree, i think photographers should be able to donate in some way, and i feel that getting people out into public places would be a good idea, i was just saying that i intend on moving around alot when i'm there and if i have to donate a lot then it's rather off putting but i like the sticker idea :D But also if they are in places open to the public then they are going to get quite a few photographers moaning and groaning and using the fact they are in public areas and they can't force them, which will spoil it for everyone :(.

From Lil. bears comments about platform tickets, i know at Keighley you have to pay something like 20pence to get onto the platform and a lot of photographers will go there for engines running around etc... i believe a lot of other railways charge to enter the platform, was just a suggestion.

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The idea of the sticker is to embaress those who refuse to pay, and hopefully through the 'embaressment' and maybe even 'pier' pressure they will reconsider. However we cannot force them hence we will ask a donation.

With regards to shots of the stations, taking such pictures is relatively easy from the lineside.
    Llangollen you have the main road one end and the cemetry the other.
    Berwyn is on the main road and you can walk across the bridge below as many people do.
    Glyndyfrdwy ok isn't too easy but then again most people get their shots of the trains leaving.
    Carrog you get good shots from the fields which surround the station.