If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

STEEL, STEAM & STARS II - Llangollen Rly - 18 to 26 April 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Flying Fiver

Flying Fiver Member

Re: And it begins...

If it was the saturday of the autumn gala then the decision was taken to knock an auto out of the system to try and pull time back. I think the reason given at the time for the late running was the crew changes putting a delay on the timetable

2. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade

Ok

Anyone wearing a high-vis thingy, unless going trackside or needs must for an emergency

Will be shot

Or thrown off the Dee Bridge

Seriously guys i agree I will do my best to keep them to a minimum

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

I have to say I'm in total agreeance with you there Bob. With us not allowing photographic lineside passes photographs have absolutely no reason what so ever to be wearing them. All it does is create a level of confusion as the public may mistake them as members of staff which could cause problems.

It seems to becoming a common occurance however as I have been to various railways this year and seen photographers doing such a like. Apart from asking such people to remove them though I'm not sure what can really be done. Maybe this is worth a fresh topic as it is certainly something that needs to be cut out IMHO.

4. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade

We have every intention of going round with a collection bucket this time to get the buggers to cough up.

I am not tarring them all with the same brush, but last year some of them i could of just beat with a big stick

I mean you ask them to move nicley and they look at you as if you are speaking a foreigh language after that I stopped being pleasant.

So next year there a could be a sticker that has the letters stating CP on it which stands for Contributing Photographer

hopefully it would embaress the hell out of the ones who DO NOT what to contibute to the event

A bit off topic i know but it has to be said

5. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Is / will there be a website for the event? Also when can we start booking things such as camp-site pitchings at Carrog / advance tickets etc.

6. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre

Do you know yet around how much 9 day rover tickets for the event will be???

7. lil Bear

Railway Technician

Yes it will be activated fully after the summer once we have a few more confirmations to our requests.

Tickets will also be available September the 1st IIRC. Carrog you can book now I think. I already know of a few people who have said they have booked hotels / B&Bs already!

Yes but I can't remeber off the top of my head #-o

8. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade

If you are desperate to know

Get yourself to Barrow Hils Raillpower

That is the intended Launch of the Gala and we will be there to answer all your questions

The ticket pricing is excellent value and simple to understand

All will be revealed

9. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

I have been working with other 6880 members on the pricing of the tickets.

The nine day rover ticket will be great value especially when bought in advance. Prices are still to be verified so I cannot disclose just yet. The Gala leaflet is due be launched at the Barrow Hill event next month. Within the leaflet will be the prices and a booking form.

10. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker

I think a lot of railways have tried to have a crackdown on non-essential hi-vis wearing, with various degrees of success. Some people seem to think they're either a badge of office, or show how important they are... ](*,)

11. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired

In addition to a hi-vis ban we should capitalise on the non-paying photographers by sending out teams of two members - one wearing hi-vis overalls ,to stand in full view at prominent photographic locations, & the other with a collecting bucket. Get the drift.
    We should also charge the photographers who trespass by ignoring fences etc.
    The above may sound extreme, but these guys will be the first ones out to photograph 6880 & should not object to a small donation.

Bob.

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician

Trespassing does carry a fine does it not? Maybe it's time to start enforcing this rule?

13. Thompson1706

Retired
    Sometime over the winter can we have 6880's boiler craned onto a well wagon for display in a prominent place, such as Llangollen bay platform, during the gala. Put the chimney on it & possibly use it as a giant collecting tin !
    It will show the doubters that the project has the largest component already acquired & might persuade them to back this project ,rather than some of the no-hopers also aiming for a share of peoples cash.

bob.

14. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Like the Patriot?

15. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Or it could be put in the shed in front of the frames. Now that would give a bit of scale to the project. Of course we might need a extra big can of wasp killer since they seem to like boilers for some reason.

16. Thompson1706

Retired
    When mentioning what I call 'no-hopers' I did not specify any particular project & this is not the place to start bringing down named projects. I could name a few which rank above the 'Patriot'.
    The 'Grange' will happen & by maximising profits at this Gala we might even see important parts like cylinders & bogie being produced.

Bob.

17. 37255

37255 Guest

I like that idea! I normally end up travelling on gala days, before going to get a few photos of the last few runs, and often get the impression that noone else around me has paid! Perhaps this sticker could be available with the purchase of food or at the very least a platform ticket from one of the stations?

18. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    It will be.

If you have a Rover ticvket you will be issued with a similar sticker as last time.

If you don't purchase a Rover Ticket but still purchase items from the rly or donate into our buckets etc then you will be issued with the CP sticker.

We are also hoping to get enough volunteers to go lineside and get donations from the photographers scattered around. At the same time they will be also watching out for photographers on the line as we DO NOT have lineside passes available. Only staff can go lineside and onto the track when their duties require them to. Unfortunately we had the odd idiot last time who thought a Hi-Vis counted as a pass, though this was a minority.

19. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    After chatting to Mr 6880rules on saturday morning about this gala, Methinks I may have to book some time off work to come see the madness...
    Nice chatting to you Will ;-)

20. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Probably out of all the steam events that I hopefully will be going to in 2009, this one will be ear-marked for me as un-missable.

I'd enjoyed the gala in 2007, not only with 11 steam locos in constant service, but we had the beer festival at Llangollen plus the excellent weather on the Saturday.

Steel, Steam & Stars 2 is now in my 2009 diary.