If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

STEEL, STEAM & STARS II - Llangollen Rly - 18 to 26 April 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: And it begins...

I seem to recall that we (Swanage) pioneered the loco cavalcade idea, pity we don't do it anymore. Perhaps we can resurrect it in the future?

2. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker

It may have started well before this one, but one that particularly sticks in my mind was with 35027, 34072, E828, '78, '104 and 41312. That Ivatt's a gutsy little thing really!

3. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

I am not sure who pioneered the cavalcades, but the 11 loco line up at SSSI must have been one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in the UK. The Shildon & Rainhill cavalcades had the locomotives running solo or in pairs

Everyone who witnessed the SSSI cavalcade enjoyed the spectacle, and we hope SSSII will go than one better !

4. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

As stated before by Lil Bear it's been made for coach companies to show what were offering and hopefully getting a few coach parties to come along.

I would like to mention that the Dee Bridge has to my knowledge been repaired so double heading will happen this time.

Oh and by popular demand the beer festival will return because it just wouldn't be one of are galas without one.

I personally like the cavalcade because as has been said before it is the engines at the end of the last day taking a bow to the crowd. Something special to end it the gala.

5. basher

basher Member

Musician

Re cavalcades....Middleton were the pioneers I think, theres a pic in an old Steam Railway edition (late 80s?) of 6 locos in convoy at the end of a gala. Swanage tried it more recently, with great success, as a gala finale. Other lines that have done it include the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch, Ravenglass, and, most notably, the Beer Heights Light Railway.

You weren't the first, nor are you the biggest.

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Does the S&D 150 event in 1975 count as well?

7. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant

What is the rationale behind trying to attract coach companies to a railway enthusiasts gala?

Coach companies normally demand reduced priced fares (full concessions regardless of age) which will mean less money to be reaised through the less premium fares being sold. Catering is also usually demanded which will also eat into your margins. If you can't provide these things then they may not return; I'm sure coach companies won't be able be able to differentiate (or care) that the event is being run the the Betton Grange Society rather than the Llangollen Railway Limited (or PLC or whatever it is).

I would have thought that you would be wanting to mobilise more enthusiasts who will pay for the high price fares and spend most of their money on events within the gala (ie Beer, can you see 60 pensioners at 1030 on their 3rd pint?).

8. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Coach companies will want reversed seats as well for their passengers. The loading of the trains for SSS1 seemed very full to me on the Saturday so having reversed seats as well at the weekend will only cause over full trains and upset passengers who have paid full prices. I`ve no problems with coach tours reversing seats , but not at a large gala at the weekends.
    Nice to here about the beer fest again - hopefully i`ll get a replacement glass for the recently broken one and maybe a few spares as well ;) Will then need a driver probadly then to get me home or somewhere to stay.

9. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I think that we will be aiming to get the coach parties to come during the week. What with it being a nine day gala. Not sure of the details regarding the coach parties but that would be the sensible option since both weekends will be busy.

I really can't go into details on what is happening since the official secrets plank is hovering a inch over my head as is. But yes you will be able to get a replacement glass at the Real Ale Beer festival just like last time. But trust me when i say it's going to be good, very good, brilliant in fact. =; But i can say no more, you'll just have to wait and see for all the details to come out.

10. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist

Mud to water I know, but 'cavalcade' as I understand the word would describe a procession of locomotives one after the other, not attached together... :)

So eleven locomotives all couple together as one consist, would best be described as...?

11. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Overkill? ;-)

12. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker

Depends whether you work on the p-way/civil engineering side of things...

13. Re: And it begins...

FUN!!

14. 37255

37255 Guest

(1).
    2-3 \:D/

15. cheekylittlemonkey81

cheekylittlemonkey81 New Member

One phrase springs to mind (just like every time someone says 'have a nice day') Stop being american lol[-(

16. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Is there any way that it can be arranged to continue running a passenger service this year prior to the cavalcade, unlike last year when there were hardly any passenger trains on Sunday afternoon?

17. Birchwood

Birchwood New Member

We shall have to see what the timetable yields.

18. MrPerfection

MrPerfection New Member

Taking all the running engines and assembling them for the cavalcade makes it impossible to carry on running trains. Having travelled up to Carrog on the footplate of 34081 (15.10 dep), I found it relaxing to spend some time at Carrog with the Miniature railways. Next years event is 9 days long and if you want to just ride trains all day, then there are plenty of opportunities. If you can only make it on cavalcade day, then get there early and ride from the start. Then use the break from appx 15.30 onwards to check out the event at Carrog which is going to be bigger next year, whilst waiting to see the Cavalcade.

Best of all: Spend the whole 9 days in N.Wales and get a 9 day Rover ticket (It will be a Bargain)!
    Mr Perfection says 'thankyou to everyone who enjoyed it last time and see you at SSSII'

19. 37255

37255 Guest

How about a DMU shuttle in the afternoon? May not be much of an attraction, but at least it's a train running up and down the line...

20. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

The use of a diesel service was discussed during the planning of the SSS cavalcade, but this option was quickly dismissed in favour of a 100% steam gala.