If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steel Steam and Stars III

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by admin, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I don't understand this sentence, but I do agree with the rest of your post, which is why, in the current circumstances, I'm amazed about booking 14 engines. But it is their business, literally so in every sense. They have made an entrepreneurial decision, in my view a wrong one. If they have got it wrong, and the gala makes a loss, then the project will be in deep pooh.

I hope they are right, but I do have my concerns.

Regards

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nobody has upped the prices -this was merely a suggestion !.
    Do Premier League football club forums have supporters moaning about ticket prices ? I'll bet they do - but those same supporters will still pay the price to watch their team.
    So what difference is there when a Premier League railway holds a gala (the equivalent of a cup final ?). It's a one-off & should be treated as such.
    For those who don't follow football , a ticket for a Premier League match is £35 - £50.

Bob.

3. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Have you got an axe to grind with the 6880 management? If you have, do you not think it should be sorted within the Llangollen Railway environment ? You appear to be causing a lot of needless postings on here. The fares for the the Gala week have been set and advertised. End of story.

4. Woolley

Woolley Member

As there is alot ov locos that are booked and quite a few that are very expensive in hire fees and also very expensive to transport to from the railway what happens if the gala isn't a success or only breaks even does the Money come out of the grange's fund it has already raised in the past?

5. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes !

6. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

If you really are unable to afford £8 on the fare, why not economise elsewhere by taking a packed lunch rather than buying one and not spending money at the beer festival - it's all a question of priorities and budgeting.

7. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    First of all I must admit I came in late on this thread and just on the 28 pounds had been posted, having now checked the web site and found it isn't I don't see the point of in debating something at isn't true. From my point of view the point is to raise money for 6880, exactly how they do it is up to the organisers, I think they would agree if people wish to make a larger donation then they are happy to accommodate them, which they can do by a number of options.

For just over 20 pounds frankly its a bargain, yes you can go several different railways as always and catch some of the attractions, but all in one place at the same time, than if you way up the cost of visiting all the required event to do what you can do in one then the cost is far higher. Also with the event being spread over 9 days you can do it all and not miss anything.

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The prices are as I made on post 75, which I've copied for you below;
    All other talk of prices is merely that, nothing else. Even though the event is being organised by 6880 again, the people behind the scenes have changed as a number of those that organised SSS1 and 2 have moved on (including myself). We still support 6880, just at present we are unable to give the same level of commitment as we did in 2007 and 2009.

Sidmouth's / Martin's post sums things up for me at present personally, but I'm prepared to give the guys who are making the effort a chance at least to show us all wrong. I remember being doubted for SSS1, yet we proved people. SSS2 we were doubted again and we went on to put on an even greater show, one of which has to be one of the greatest galas of all times IMO. Lets see what the successors to us can do before writing them off completely.

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    You have created complete chaos with your post re pricing for this event and now you're attempting to compare it with a football match in mitigation. For goodness sake take some time out, you're causing a lot of damage.

10. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I am going to make comment on this. The first point I am going to make is about the premier league. How many supporters does an average club have? Also supply and demand come into play. The club I follow has a 20 year waiting list for season tickets something no preserved railway has. The football clubs like it or not hold more of a market demand. The numbers are just not there in the preservation game. The second point, the £8 extra you suggest. I think that for enthusiasts that is ok but looking at with a business hat on) what the competition offers and at what price (bearing in mind the primary target market of the railways which is certainly not the enthusiast market) then a balance must be drawn between the two. My personal opinion is that rather than saying the price is £8 to low I would be asking the membership here to donate an extra £8 (which is what most will do here in any case) towards a worthy cause. That way the extra £8 gets donated by the enthusiasts that you wish were paying the £8 more and the gala still brings in the general public that are becoming ever more careful where every pound goes.

11. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I am absolutely sick of this. I come on this forum pretty much every day because I am looking forward to the gala so much and all anyone is talking about is either the prices or the number of engines being to many. I'm sorry but this is supposed to be a bit of fun! When did we start taking it so seriously. The moment the UK heritage railway scene becomes about making money I think we should all start again. If you don't like what the 6880 team are doing you don't have to go. Doesn't anybody else think it's awesome that 13 engines will be working on a 7.5 mile long railway for 9 days. I admit, it's on my doorstep so I would be more excited than most but come on. Lighten up. It's going to be an incredible 9 days like it was last time and for 3 days the time before that.

12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Sorry 7822 but this is about money and the lots of £££ required to complete 6880 . Get it wrong and 6880 is out of pocket and years back in it's progress. the guys behind SSS1 & 2 would also hardly describe it a bit of fun , Not least looking at the six figures costs of putting it on

Also the hertitage railway movement is increasingly about making money , if only to keep it's head above water . Our railways are no longer preservation , but Businesses , employers , transport , subject to legal rules and regs which are expensive to implement

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Absolutely bang on Martin. I did not give 2years of my life to organise SSS2 to put on the world's best party. I did it to make a successful event for 6880 and help bring the possibility of an operational Grange closer to reality. Money talks, and is what it is all about at the end of the day. If we could build a new loco on hopes and dreams don't you think we'd have done this by now??

13 locos operating on a 7.5mile branch line may look great, but I proved with the timetable last time sensibly there is only enough room for 8/9 locos a day (and that's before the reduced timetable comes into play!). I have raised this issue with those now in charge yet new guest locos still appear. On one hand its not my problem as I'm not part of the organising committee, but as a 6880 member it is my subscription that is being gambled which is what this event is, one huge big gamble! 6880 is not guaranteed to make lots of profit, the guys in charge are hoping to put on enough attractions to draw the crowds and get people spending money. But people like Bob are thinking this is a gamble too far, and are being more vocal in their concerns than others.

However as I said previously,when I was involved we were doubted prior to SSS1 and 2. We proved all those people wrong. Lets see what this new team can do before we write them off completely.

14. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Having spent the last nine months agonising over an organisation that in the event has only survived due to a one off gift of £200,000, and then that takes no account of re-capitalising the business revenue account for 2012, I can only observe from the sidelines and hope this comes off.

The only prices that have yet been released are those for advance booking, for which Gift Aid will undoubtedly be forhcoming - but the Pay on the Day rates have not yet been released. With all the debate about enhanced pricing I think that this issue needs to be clearly addressed, as there are plenty of people who's personal and business commitments dictate that pay on the day is their only option.

If they know those costs too - and whether evening tickets or simply single journey tickets for those only wanting that arrangement will be available then that will assist in decision making.

Don't forget - many families simply want a ride - gala or no gala - and sending them away with the typical enthusiast attitude of - "There's a gala on - don't you know? the price today is £xxxx" is not the most customer friendly welcome, either on the day or as regards the Llangollen railway for the remainder of the year.

15. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    SSS3 will have to cater for the Tornado effect, families turning up for a ride behind this loco. Having seen this first hand at what I can only describe as a crazy SVR Autumn gala, I think the organisers should have a good think about ticketing.

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

They need to think about protecting the revenue too...

A few more TIs checking tickets wouldn't go a miss.

17. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Unfortunately 7822, the above posters are all correct in what they say, but I do sympathise with your sentiments, the country as a whole takes itself too seriously these days!

18. Woolley

Woolley Member

Regarding tornado they would prob be better just running tornado for 9 days they would prob earn alot more than running the gala and all the locos

19. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Perhaps we are, but there seems to be little to smile about.

20. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

You have summed up perfectly what I meant Frank. There will be plenty of demands on disposable income next year at a time when it is shrinking significantly. I think in this case the gala organisers have recognised this and priced the gala at a rate that makes it unmissable. I am in no doubt that on the day there will be plenty of other things that will be tempting to spend money on and will therefore help raise even more money, but you need to get punters there first and pricing people away initially will not achieve this.