If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steel Steam and Stars III

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by admin, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Apart from the 8 nights B&B etc etc - get real!

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    I was merely commenting on the train travel alone, if you lived in or near Llangollen then you've got a very cheap week (which is me being real).

3. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Has a full gala leaflet, incorporating a pre-order form, been printed yet?

What is the cut-off date for these advance ticket prices, as they do appear to be a bargain in comparison to other Galas held this year. (They seem to be at a similar (same?) rate as we had for SSS2 3 years ago).

Perhaps the 'on the day' prices will be significantly higher to reflect the magnitude of the Gala?

4. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

To those who feel it might not be an enjoyable event because of overcrowding - perhaps the thing to do is be a volunteer for some days, I am sure they still need people stepping forward for this, and without enough volunteers there won't be a successful gala. And the more customers they get, the more volunteers they'll need. I think Glyn is coordinating volunteers from here.

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    The prices are pretty good, but I think it has to be remembered that, for these mega galas, it is impossible to roster every loco every day, so from a customer's perspective, the list of guest locos is not as impressive as it might seem.

I do think that they are going over the top here, a day visitor isn't going to see all the engines running, and it is quite possible to spend the weekend at such events and not see all engines running as was my experience at the NYMR's 175th Anni event last spring.

Regards

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I'm hoping to go to this one - it coincides with my birthday so can sell it to SWMBO as a suitable pressy and away weekend to celebrate ;). Plus it's a rare chance to catch up with Tornado away from London :) Even so, £44 for two will be pushing it, so I wouldn't want to see prices any higher thanks.

7. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I would think that if we put the day ticket price up to say £28.00 it wouldn't deter too many people from coming. It's a quality gala with extras ,such as beer festival, displays , brake van rides along the line etc., & an extra five or six pounds would not make the difference between someone going & not going. (and it will get the 'Grange' running sooner !)

Bob.

8. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    No matter what locos you have and how many locos you have, you can only run a certain number of trains. The price should be based on this, not the fact that you have brought in X amount of locos. You can actually have too many locos at a gala, you know.

9. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Just some points:

Brake van rides were subject to a supplement fare during both SSS1 and SSS2 galas.

Also during the SSS1 & SSS2, the entry price to the Beer Festival included a popular souvenir beer glass. If the rover tickets are inclusive of the BF entry, then I would hope a SSS3 souvenir glass (If produced) would be sold separately.

10. Thompson1706

Retired
    We have seven & a quarter miles of track with five crossing places. We can run quite a few trains at once, some being double-headed. This wasn't a problem at the previous two S.S.& S. galas, & indeed makes for more action, unlike some of the longer lines, where you can wait for ages between trains.

Bob.

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

The original SSS was almost a revolution in gala concept and quite rightly captivated the market . As a concept i'd liken it to something more akin to the Great Dorset Steam fair , where everything is together in one massive hit

SSS2 took it to a new level with the cambriam theme with 9017 and it's appearance in BR Black plus 6100

SSS3 isn't a big leap forward and you appear to be banking on high profile and very expensive engines to deliver the passengers . The Tornado effect will inevitably wear of at some point . 70000 whilst wonderful has seen reasonable exposure notably at the WSR both this year and possibly next spring . 828 drew the crowds at the SVR on the basis that it was a one off appearance outside Scotland .

58926 will have had a lot of (quite rightful exposure ) at the KWVR before coming to Llangollen

Both the WSR and SVR are planning large spring events so whilst I have no doubt that people will come I actually think you will need to work very hard this time to generate your hoped for return . Online disputes about web hosting and ticket pricing will also do little to favour the cause

12. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    See below

13. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    Thank you for the compliment the Great Dorset steam fair ( which i have been too twice )I found very inspiring and it was an atmosphere i wanted to capture in both SSS 1 and 2
    One of somthing going on, all the time, everywhere
    So i just have to come back
    I think it worked.....if you read Danny Hopkins editorial

14. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes, I have been to the previous SS&S galas and both were reasonably priced, which encouraged people to visit more than once. What you are proposing is a rip off. Never bite the hand that feeds you.

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    But this time you have the planned Glyn - Corwen/Bonwm shuttle to incorporate, which does not allow the half hour tt of previous events.

16. Thompson1706

Retired
    You are assuming that the track will be laid to Bonwm by this time.
    I believe that the management are desperately going around the working members who have done previous large track laying jobs on extensions to try & get them on board (they haven't asked me yet for some reason)., but none of our old 'Project x' team ,including me, will be on this job.
    That leaves the option of using the paid staff or bringing in contractors.
    The absence of any recent comment on this forum from the current organisers of this event is very strange.

Bob.

17. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    If you look back to the SSS1 / SSS2 threads though, who were the ones who spoke most on here? Myself / 6880rules / NDTSDN / Mighty Mogul.
    Who are now no longer involved with the organising of SSS?

18. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Why will the 'shuttles' be running from Glyn?

Thanks,
    Lewis

19. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    To encourage people to get off and visit the field at the back of the stn as it is planned to have numerous exhibitions on display there.

One complaint from SSS2 was from the traders at Glyn who said compared to the number of visitors to the event, only a small percentage stopped off at Glyn to have a look around.

20. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Can't quite get my head around how what is proposed has become a "rip-off" when on the previous page, everyone has been commenting what good value the fares were?

Or are you referring to the suggestion of £28 for a day rover?

In this case, I would add to a note of caution, but that proposal isn't from anyone connected with the event as far as I can see.

The heritage railway movement isn't big or sophisticated enough to accurately undertaken demand analysis, and usually knows whne it has passed a tipping point of charging too much only when it is too late!

Steven