If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steel Steam and Stars III

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by admin, Mar 28, 2011.

1. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Berwyn staff were somewhat dissapointed when the timetables showed we had fewer stopping trains at Berwyn than previous galas, however the midweek timetable is much enhanced on previous years and sees a very nice distribution of stopping trains each way through the day. It is sad that some passengers have been "stuck" at Berwyn over the first weekend, but sadly this is beyond the control of staff at the station and we can only offer a ready supply of drinks, cakes, sandwiches, books and postcards in recompence!

Regarding timetables being on display on the stations, this is somthing we pride ourselves with at Berwyn as we regard this as the paramount item of importance to supply to passengers boarding and alighting. (Its also the most common question asked of station staff) It also gets us into the swing of things by indicating our daily "theme" or event- hence yesterdays Scottish Region timetables along with staff in BR Scottish Region uniforms and Killin station running in board! All of this is arranged by the Friends of Berwyn volunteers to further enhance the experience for passengers in line with the themes set by the 6880 group when planning the galas.

I can confirm that those wanting to buy tickets at Berwyn for the gala may do so, and we have now been issued with the day stickers to be worn by those with tickets. (However, we sadly cannot accept card payments at Berwyn Station)

Aside from those staying at the Chainbridge Hotel, there is some degree of free parking at Berwyn, albeit on a first come first come basis in the National Trust car park on the other side of the Dee, (around 5-10 minutes walk from the station), so quite alot of visitors start their journeys at Berwyn. I can see the need for reducing section times between Goods Jnc and Deeside Halt, and having a station mid section can make this awkward when trying to keep tight times on extremely busy events such as SSS1-2-3! However, I hope in future times can be arranged where a happy medium between stoppers and expresses can keep everyone happy!

I say this as a biased Llangollen Volunteer and a strong supporter of the work the 6880 group and Llangollen Railway have undertaken to plan and execute such a massive event; however, I do feel the Day Rover tickets are extremely good value for money considering what is on offer this week. There may have been some issues over the weekend, but I wonder how many comenting here have thought of the costs and other difficulties involved to provide what is on offer? As Pete Waterman comments in his intro in the SSS3 guide, each shovel going on the fire is around 50p, and the aim of the gala is still to raise funds for Betton Grange. I was extremely impressed by a gent I spoke to over the 9 days of SSS2 (who is again down for the whole duration of SSS3) who was busy taking photos and films all week. He was in and out of Berwyn Station buying his lunches and snacks and I asked him on the fourth day had he enjoyed the ride up the line? His reply was he was here for the photos more than the riding, and had not yet been on the trains. He did have a 9 day rover ticket though, as he said he supported the Grange and the Railway as it was only fair he pay to contribute for the show being put on for his enjoyment!
    If only we had a few more "photograph only" enthusiasts willing to be so generous...!

2. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Blimey - you or Pete W must have very small shovels if they only take 50p's worth of coal!! - the answer to this surely must be between one & two quid per shovelful at todays rates.

3. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Some photos from today's West Midlands themed day are now online at my Zenfolio site here - Mick Rogers Photography | West Midlands Day 24th April 2012

Though it is unfortunate that the Super D was unable to haul it's booked trains during the day, it was successfully returned to traffic in time to take up its duties on the evening beer trains.

Thanks,
    Mick

4. rheidol

rheidol Member

Railwayman
    Timetabling isn't a problem on the narrow gauge line (s?) at Carrog Station!

Departures every couple of minutes with either Dolgoch or Palmerston offering footplate rides along the unique dual gauge track . . .

5. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Was the freight scheduled to run today?

6. Birchwood

Birchwood New Member

7. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    That is 'Clarabel' from our 'Thomas' collection. It was formerly a 4-wheel LNER pigeon van. The only other surviving one has been superbly restored by the North Norfolk Railway.

p.s. I presume they took the face off it !

Bob.

8. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

A couple of photos here, not photoshopped... :behindsofa:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shall be back down there from Friday again.

Neil.

9. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
  10. britishsteel

britishsteel New Member

There are many photos taken from the curve close to glyndyfrdwy, taken from a field
    Is the farmer ok with this, and where do you park to get to this location

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

As you approach Glyndyfrdwy from Llangollen, there is a lay-by on the right (with the butterfly shop) take the lane heading down hill from the lay-by, there are parking places along the lane - or park at the lay-by and walk down.

12. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

At SSSII the landowner at the end of the lane charged people a couple of pounds to park in the field and photograph the line from those feilds. I'm not sure if it is the same this year.

Neil.

13. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    There have certainly been a number of cars parked at Garth-y-Dwr farm on Monday and Tuesday of this week (when it wasn't raining cats and dogs), so it is probably safe to assume that the farmer is still taking a pragmatic view about photographers going on his land for a small financial consideration - there is an honesty box at the gate if nobody is about. I plan to be there myself at some point over the coming weekend.

Cheers,
    Mick

14. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Still not received my gala brochure/timetable, purchased online weekend before last, receipt says transaction okay, hope it arrives before we depart tomorrow night for the weekend.

15. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

With the white marque in the background and bare trees, this shot almost looks like a winter scene.

Mick Rogers Photography | Tornado 'Little & Large' Day 25th April 2012 | 5DM30795

and Tornado looks like it has seen a lot of water with the rusty strapping.

http://mickrogers.zenfolio.com/p930454088/h2524d8f3#heee4c0b

16. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

17. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

Going to try and get that headboard on tornado then? :)
    Brill photos!
    Matt

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

All

Just received via the 6880 team and as requested passing on to the Nat Pres membership

Minor alterations to timetable,
    Friday April 27th and Saturday April 28th

AS many will be aware, delay in last weekend’s ‘SSS III’ timetables were substantially attributable to the limited water capacity of LNWR ‘Coal Tank No.58926, and the need for the frequent, unscheduled replenishment of its tanks to stay on the ‘right side’ of boiler safety margins.

In an effort to avoid any repetition of timetable delays during the final three days of ‘SSSIII’, gala organisers the Betton Grange Society have announced some minor alterations to the published timetable – principally, the rostering of a second locomotive to assist No.58926 on its remaining passenger turns.

It is deemed that because of the lightweight nature of the goods train, No.58926 will not need an assisting engine on these turns.

The changes are as follows:

Friday April 27th

1) The 14.35 train from Llangollen to Carrog and 15.50 return, rostered for
    No.58926 will now be assisted in both directions by N2 No.1744.

2) The 15.15 goods from Llangollen to Carrog, previous rostered for ‘Prairie’ tank No.5199 and N2 1744, will now be worked solely by 5199, and on the return, will terminate at Berwyn at 16.39 (not Llangollen as previously advertised). Brake van passengers on this train will be able to return to Llangollen via the 16.25 Bonwm – Llangollen auto train, which calls at Berwyn at 17.05, and arrives at Llangollen at 17.19, five minutes later than previously advertised.

3) The 16.40 departure from Llangollen (70000 Britannia) has been retimed to depart five minutes later, at 16.45.

4) The 17.20 from Llangollen to Bonwm, will be double headed (ie: not topped and tailed) by Super D 49395 and A1 No.60163 Tornado, as far as Carrog, with No.49395 as the piloting loco. At Carrog, No.49395 will detach, run round, and attach to the rear of the train, to create a ‘top and tail’ formation for the run to Bonwm, with A1 No.60163 Tornado leading. They will return to Llangollen on the 18.15 from Bonwm in the same formation.

Saturday April 28th

1) The 15.15 goods from Llangollen (58926) will run as advertised, but will terminate at Berwyn on the return journey, at 16.39. As on Friday, brake van passengers on this train will be able to return to Llangollen via the 16.25 Bonwm – Llangollen auto train, which calls at Berwyn at 17.05, and arrives at Llangollen at 17.19, five minutes later than previously advertised.

Passengers are thanked for their co-operation with these few minor changes.

The 6880 Betton Grange Society – building the 81st ‘Grange’

19. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Well done to the 6880 team for listening and making changes to mitigate things for the final weekend at least the trains should run more or less to time now - I'm looking forward to it a lot more now - at least my old man wont be half as grumpy anymore ( that's a victory in its own right!).

Can anybody please advise me where the best place is to see the cavalcade on Sunday?

20. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

I'd say Carrog is probably your best bet, as you get a good view of the cavalcade sweeping around the bend into the station. In past years they have done a couple of run pasts too. The field opposite the station has in past years been open too, on payment of a couple of quid to the farmer.