If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Railway SR482 - On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Steam Railway' started by Thomas Bright, Jul 20, 2018.

Ahead of the end-of-steam commemorative events taking place across the country next month, Steam Railway turns the clock back 50 years with a special issue dedicated to the last months of BR steam in 1968.

[​IMG]
    In this commemorative issue, we hear of the exploits of the infamous Master Neverers Association, as its members chased what locomotives they could in the dying days of main line steam. We also explore what remains of BR’s last steam sheds, and round-up all surviving 1968 veterans and find out what they’re up to 50 years on from August 11 1968.

We also recount Flying Scotsman’s famed 1968 non-stop run to Edinburgh, and how the Vale of Rheidol Railway came to be the only part of the nationalised network operated by steam after August 1968.

Two preserved lines with differing 1968 credentials also take centre stage, with the East Lancashire Railway discussing its plans for the future whilst paying due reverence to its past, while the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway celebrates its 50th anniversary in style with the return to service of Ivatt ‘2MT’ No. 41241.

We want to know whether you think more railways should paint their locomotives into in-house liveries. Tell us here.

As always, we bring you the very latest news, comment and analysis from the world of preservation, including:

· Diesels ousting steam during summer heatwave

· ‘Billy’ confirmed to be world’s third-oldest locomotive

· ‘Wells’ and ‘B1’ confirmed for GCR 1948 gala

· ‘Boiler’ fitted to ‘P2’ Prince of Wales

· War Department Hunslet returns to steam

There’s all this and more in the latest edition of Steam Railway magazine – on sale now!

Continue reading...

240P15 likes this.
  1. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Still haven't received my subscription copy yet - only 5 days late....
    Ray.

2. Thomas Bright

Thomas Bright New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello Ray, apologies for the tardy reply. Has your subscription copy arrived yet? If it hasn't, best contact bauer@subscription.co.uk or call them on 01858 438884 and they'll be happy to look into it for you. Kind regards, SR

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for your reply Thomas. My copy actually arrived the next day (after I had reported its non-arrival to subscriptions).
    Cheers,
    Ray.