If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Railmotor 93

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Autocar, Jun 16, 2010.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

It could well be that the economics of running the railmotor make more sense than any other newbuild, with the exception of the G.5 and the 3MT tank locomotives.

P.H.

2. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

As a wooden bodied vehicle, the chances of her being allowed to carry fare-paying passengers on the national network are almost nil, so I find this very hard to believe!

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks, how did I miss that? ...

4. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There are already precedents for use of wooden-framed bodies on the mainline, some of the VSOE Pullman cars for instance.

5. JWKB

JWKB Member

Are you sure this isn't being confused with the requirement for all Didcot stuff to be registered for movement on and off site?

6. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Visiting Didcot today, I was very surprised to find 93 in the process of a repaint - seemingly to the same colour as before. The original paint job is only a couple of years old - was there a problem with it?

7. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Judging from remarks in Railway Magazine there have been some issues with the exterior wooden beading and I can back this with my own observations a couple of days after its inauguration when a few cracks were evident. One of the Didcot people, oberving me looking closely at the coachwork said, unprompted by me, that she was underwhelmed by the standard of the paintwork, citing particular problems.

Having said that, the interior seemed fine and the vehicle runs very well. It is an enormous achievement and the problems mentioned obviously are being sorted out.

P.H.

8. m0rris

m0rris New Member

What he said, the wood needed to be redone so they unfortunately had to repaint the whole thing... including all of the detail work according to the Railway Mag.

It is a remarkable project and it would be good to see it away from the confines of Didcot and out on some of the lovely preserved branchlines out there.

9. Railcar22

Railcar22 Member

Stock Control
    The problem was not the standard of paintwork, or the standard of the work. There were a couple of side panels one of which had started to delaminate, and there was another panel which which was showing signs of doing the same, and of course the beading which was starting to self destruct. It was deemed that the only option was to replace the 2 plywood panels and also all the beading and repaint. this was only 5 months after she had been outshopped

10. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

News of this in November and April updates on the steam railmotor website.
    The GWR Steam Railmotor and Trailer Project

11. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Thanks for all the information. Looking forward to seeing 93 gleaming at some point in the near future!

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

The VSOE fleet has been entirely steel bodied for some time - there was a big switcheroo of vehicles with various preserved lines when the regulations changed. I suspect that the possibility of the Railmotor going mainline is prompted by the RSSB consulation regarding wooden bodies, the requirement for barrier vehicles etc though i've yet to see any news regarding the outcome of it.

Chris

13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

VSOE still has timber framed cars running on the main line - Cygnus, Perseus & Phoenix, ironically the newest vehicles in the train. They are steel panelled though.

14. Christopher125

Oops, thanks for the correction. I cant see them being a precedent for the Railmotor though, according to a post on another forum not only does the derogation application include their use between barrier vehicles, but it also mentions the Pullman method of wooden body construction which features "...a close spaced framework of heavy-section pillars and horizontal rails [which is] significantly stronger than that of conventionally built wooden-bodied stock of that period". I dont think either argument could be applied to the GWR Railmotor.

Chris

15. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I honestly can't see this vehicle - which is not only wooden bodied, but has the boiler and all the various steam pipes and most of its mass at the front separated from the passenger compartment by not much, and just waiting to do its worst in a head on collision - being allowed anywhere near the mainline with passengers on board. Quite apart from the economics of operating a vehicle which only seats 70 or so passengers and has limited range, yet which presumably would cost just as much to path as a full 12 coach charter. I suspect what is being talked about is probably mainline registration to allow it to be towed on the mainline. This would facilitate loading at Didcot where, as I believe, the loading facility to put vehicles on / off road transport involves a short trip along Network Rail metals.

Tom

16. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

And that short trip on NR costs a tidy sum each time unfortunately.

Dave

17. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How did it get back into Didcot after restoration at Llangollen? Dragged over NR, surely?

18. Christopher125

As its already been moved to and from Didcot over NR metals they must already have the paperwork for that, so i think any talk of mainline registration is for the 'real deal'.

Chris

19. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    LOL LOL I love all the speculation that flys around on a forum like this.
    Just sit tight and watch this space.

20. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Oh! So you mean the rumour that Didcot is seeking a 90mph derogation for the Railmotor isn't true? :whistle:

Foxy