If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Dreams Valentine Trips with 60163 14/02/09

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Jan 22, 2009.

1. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    I turned out for both of Tornado's passes through Basingstoke yesterday. I'm always very interested in the response of 'normal' people to seeing steam on the main line and a common theme running through many people's reaction to Tornado seemed to be that "it's good that a steam engine is back on the railway." Later on, I turned out for Tangmere and a couple waiting for a service train were discussing the surprise of unexpectedly coming across that "Tornado engine" they'd "read about in the paper."

Says a lot, I think, about the general public's awareness of main line steam in general, and of the efficiency of the A1 Trust's PR officers in particular!

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We had a fantastic day yesterday chasing the Lunch run and then travelling on the evening run. Tornado looks stunning and her performance is something else!. Amazing crowds at the stations throughout the day. I became quite emotional as people clapped and cheered as Tornado passed through stations. Brilliant! I would just like to say thanks to Steam Dreams, the DBS crews and of course The A1 Steam Trust. At Victoria before we departed I had to go up and touch Tornado just to make sure I hadn't been dreaming............ Here are some pictures of the day. Nothing fancy, just a record of a superb day:[attachment=2:1c62jh9o]tornado val winchfield.JPG[/attachment:1c62jh9o][attachment=1:1c62jh9o]tornado val woking.JPG[/attachment:1c62jh9o][attachment=0:1c62jh9o]tornado val waterloo.JPG[/attachment:1c62jh9o]

3. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Great picture, well done, and nice to see somebody come out and tell us where and how they did it.

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I wasup on the footbridge at Winchfield. Ended up taking a video of her with that electric racing past.

5. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    At East Grimstead nr Sailsbury

6. COL6024

COL6024 New Member

Film library general assistant at SSVC
  7. David P

David P New Member

I've now added my collection from yesterday - see Picasa - David P - 090214. Didn't have any lovely sunlight in and around London, unlike others - apart from the roof at Waterloo - but I've included some from Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Vauxhall on return (damn' - next time I'll try Wandsworth Town!), the crowds at Waterloo, and the moody pre-departure ones from Victoria (all hand-held no flash!).

The sheer numbers of people, everywhere, were amazing!

8. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Hmmm! Very odd watching yourself on tele! The water stop at Overton was very short and we were busy in the cab. I was caught by suprize by the BBC camraman, I should have given more praize to the loco. It truely is a lovely machine, although we had only been plodding along up to then. It was only later into the trip that we saw what she was made of. Thanks for putting me onto the BBC link, by the way.

Wayne.

9. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Interesting question? Steam is a bit differat to the rest of the traction we drive. In all companies we need to be fully trained and 'passed out' to drive each individual type of traction, including sub-classes. Steam however, once we are passed out, we can virtually drive any of them, although we are briefed by the owners rep if we have not been on a particular loco before. As I was prior the driving Tornado, at Waterloo, by Graham Bunker. This might seem rather a short period of time, however all the steam drivers are very experianced men. I think I am the youngest mainline steam driver and I have been on the footplate for over 31 years (Oct 1977). Although of course I have only been on steam for ten years. As for people other than Driver, fireman and inspector, there is nearly always someone from the support group on the footplate riding with us. They do not need to have technical knowledge of the loco though. Wayne.

10. Wayne

Wayne New Member

This is interesting to me. As mentioned elsewhere, I was given I brief on the loco at Waterloo by Graham Bunker. Tornado should have 'two' whistles, bit unusual, but there are two pull cords, one for each one. Graham told me that the chime whistle had not been fitted, use only the ordinary one, but the chime would be fitted soon! Who am I to question this! They must have put it on at Battersea, did not think it would be put on that soon. What a shame, its one thing I love about the Eastern loco's is the chime whistle, Love em!

Wayne.

11. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the detailed replies Wayne and can we stop the personal nit-picking please guys!

12. cg

cg Well-Known Member

13. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Thread returned to the forum, with posts arguing with each other over trespass removed. Also, the copious posts regarding the diesel on the back have been removed and will shortly be merged into the thread sticky'd on this forum about just that topic. Please keep things civil chaps.

14. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

This has always surpised me but the same was true in steam days I beleive, and then their was no owners rep! A crew could turn up to relieve a team on a particular job to find the loco had been changed at some point in the journey, for example due to a failure, and the loco was a type they had never been on before!

As an asside the first time Ray Churchill drove 71000 was facing the 1 in 50 out of Fishguard. What a why to get used to a loco!

15. Mikem

Mikem Member

I had a great day out there met a lot of enthusiasts travelling and off both tours.SawTornado at eight locations and Clan Line at three.
    Thanks Wayne for your tip regarding Battersea loop no sooner i got there away fom the crowds Clan Line came out of Stew.Lane then Tornado appeared, both 100 yards apart at one time. A little awkward
    through the fence but got some good stills & video.
    I got back to Guildford for the evening shot when they announced over the tannoy Tornado & Clan Line were both passing through 15 mins apart. Tornado stormed through in good artifcial light with both whistles blowing but the VSOE was top & tail diesels, had me fooled for a minute though. Two more in the London area next week. =D>

Mike M. ( 70c)

16. Martyn F

Martyn F New Member

Me too! I was out in the car park and could hear the announcement from there. I thought this was a secret train that even Uksteam didn’t know about. #-o

Video on Youtube at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNpNkgFjSiw

17. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
  18. Orient Express

Orient Express New Member

19. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres