If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Ban due to fire risk (updates)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Jul 12, 2013.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    They might have been, but there were better lines up here that are no longer around.

Back on track and I dont think the steam and diesel lash up with become the permament way of working the network. Yes at the moment its allowing steam to at least still be seen, but Id enjoy the chance to get photos and action of 2013 the year when everything was double headed with both. Its a boon for fans of the class 47 as they seem to be the engine tucked inside on all the rosters...

2. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

WIth there being no mention of diesels in this weeks schedule has the steam ban ended?

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Difficult to say Mike what NRs next move will be, there have been torrential localised downpours over large parts of the country, went out today starting on a dry road in sunshine, I drove about 25 miles and ended up back in wall to wall sun. But inbetween there was very heavy rain and traffic reduced to a crawl due to poor visibility and water several inches deep on the road. Then it stopped as though a tap had been turned off.

Kje7812 likes this.
  4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

With all this hot weather we are having and the amount of steam tours that have been cancelled or need diesel locos to standing in. Should steam tour companies and loco owners consider running more tours in January/February and March and then us the summer months for loco repaires.

5. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    This is all getting blown out of proportion. The last prolonged heatwave was a few years ago, and while these events are not unknown its something we can deal with. Yes NR is more protective about getting their kit fried, but who can blame them when their budgets are cut and when tour delay minutes rise they take the hit for it.

Diesel assistance should be fine and seen to be a consequence of the modern day railway. The same people objecting now are those that moan about the diesel on the back to help with shunting and reversing at destinations where the facilities to turn steam engines and stock have long since gone. While we all enjoy the steam engine to make the power and action, its fine to see them both in tandem given the circumstances. For the most part, the season will be fine and will run as planned, it has in the previous years and still will do this year when the weather breaks and we get whats expected.

Tour companies wont want to run in the winter. The chances are of delays to get people to the tour starts and means tours running shorter to cope with the length of days expected. With daylight being longer in summer its no wonder tours are run then. Who wants the Scarbrough Spa Express in January? Tours then are the preserve mainly of the enthusiasts rather than Joe Public that pack the SSE, Jacobite, Waverley, Fellsman, Shakespeare Express and Torbay that are the regular runners all season. The industry is built around getting to the public and they wont want to take holiday for a train ride in the dark....

Neil_Scott likes this.
  6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Simple answer, no. Summer is holiday time and days out for the average Mr & Mrs. They do not want to sit in a train when half the day will be in darkness and it's cold and probably wet at the destination. There is nothing worse that cold miserable passengers getting back on your train after several hours trying to keep somewhere warm in a strange town.

7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Specially when the carriage lights dont work and the steam heating doesn't.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Can't think of which TOC you may be thinking of at this point............ Just don't say that and then hope to travel with them!

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Preserved railways would love it... For once they have a chance of using the locos that sit in their warm covered sheds all winter and migrate to the mainline in summer.

10. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Much flash flooding in the Calder Valley with more thundery showers forecast for today. I think the north got a decent soaking in the last 36 hours.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yet again we are promised a good dowsing in Mid Kent.

I'm just waiting to see if it actually happens this time.

From the weather maps and rainfall radar over the last few days it is starting to look like the SW at least has had a good lot of rain now.

And I know Bakewell has because my lovely friend up there has had storm after storm, and one full night of heavy rain has washed her garden in front of her flat away.

Updated. Typically the mass of rain shown earlier on the rainfall radar has fragmented as it reaches here in Mid Kent and we are just getting short bursts of heavier stuff and very light in between. Unless there is a really nice long heavy burst at the end the impact will be gone by the weekend if the 30C forecast for Thursday is correct.

Damn it! My garden needs a really good soaking. And yet another wet T shirt completion called off! :eek:

12. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Not quite sure what you're saying there, but most of the mainline certified locos are mainline locos first and foremost and are based at places like Carnforth, Southall, Stewarts Lane, Tyseley, Crewe, Butterly or Thornton Junction, with operations on preseved lines only occuring when they are not required on the mainline. This is somewhat different to the situation we had in the past where it could be claimed on certain hertiage ines that mainline operations were depriving them of locos that they feel are rightfully theirs.

rule55 likes this.
  13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Does anyone know if NR has totally lifted the fire risk notice in the south? or is just the Torbay Express route?
    TBEL site says no diesel for the rest of the season unless there is another prolonged hot/dry spell. 5029 Sunday. 34046 on the 18th.

14. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That's good news for TBX and probably means that the remaining Weymouth Seaside and Royal Duchy tours should also be diesel-free, too.

As mentioned elsewhere, the decisions to lift the restrictions will be region-by-region, same as the decisions to impose them in the first place. My guess is that the York-Scarborough line will be the last one to be cleared.

15. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Bear in mind tomorrow is forecast to be 30 degrees+ & clear. Friday is not too much different.

16. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    I guess we'll find out what "prolonged" means!! I'm booked on Sunday's train. Forecast says the heat should dissipate in 24 hours here in the South West and South Wales and return to cooler, cloudy with showery weather for the weekend. Here's hoping.

17. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

For your own sanity, I think the best way emotionally to deal with this current situation with diesels, is to expect that the diesel WILL be assisting the steam locomotive no matter what the weather is. Turn up on the day, and if unexpectedly, there is no diesel in sight, then you will have the most wonderful feeling equal to that first child, England winning the World Cup, England retaining the Ashes. Remember, it's all in the mind.

18. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

The Cathedrals express Kings Cross-York-Newcastle on the 10th Aug has now been postponed as well. Its not drought related directly but due to pathing problems because of the big landslip and other trackworks that weekend. The letter suggested that there was also a crewing problem. My luck just isn't in this summer as this is my 3rd cancellation. :( Due to a busy work diary a postponement is effectively a cancellation for me. :( Oh well, I had better start looking at the autumn schedules then...................................

19. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

It doesn't say if it was a grass fire or other, but I guess the length of the fire, 50m, (if the report is accurate!), indicates grass.

Possibly an indication that despite all the rains we have had, there are still patches dry enough to catch fire. And that was the day before the great heat of yesterday.

Very interesting that a new method of extinguishing fires has been found, so much so that it gets special mention!

Up until now I always thought that water and a hose were used. Presumably they beat the living daylights out of the fire with the reel?