If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Ban due to fire risk (updates)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Jul 12, 2013.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If only a steam charter could still run via the Somerset and Dorset .....those were the days!! <BJ>

2. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

UK Steam now reading "May include diesel assistance due to fire risk". This wording applies to a number of tours from tomorrow onwards.

3. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

So it may or may not have diesel assistance.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Pretty much, looks like they are leaving it as late as possible to make a call, see what the weather does.

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    As it stands at the moment, I would be very surprised if the Weymouth Seaside Express on Sunday required diesel assistance. I've just returned home from a long country walk and can assure you that in the Bristol/Bath area the fields and crops are returning to their normal colours after just a few days of overnight showers. My trainers are quite wet due to the moist undergrowth. Let's keep hoping for an all steam railtour, or as a compromise, a diesel tagged at the rear of the train. <BJ>

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that they will take a DL along this week, but let Nunney do most of the work except in a few sensitive areas, including the major climbs.

7. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    just looking at the weekend weather and looking wet in the south Saturday and Sunday, so fingers crossed will be full steam

8. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    As the Weymouth is a WCRC job will Nunney be prepped on SPM or is it on Barton Hill??

9. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Well we had around 12 hours of continuous rain here last night and some showers this morning. More is forecast for the next few days. How much have other people had around the country?

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Some here in mid Kent last night, but nothing like what was forecast.

I am building my "tidy" wild garden, (for wildlife), at present and after checking this morning I will still need to use the hose quite extensively on those parts where I want growth. It's still very dry in parts.

But a showery week forecast for the week ahead, so fingers crossed we start to get a cumulative effect over much of the country.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

The rain around here has been very localised. Until Wednesday night, Romsey received the square route of naff all rain yet in only 7 miles away they had a huge deluge at the beginning of the week. Last night rained pretty much solidly for about 5 hours so things are certainly looking up a little for a resumption of steam operations.

I understand that the MHR were waiting for 3 days of rain before considering a return to steam operation and the website states no steam before 31st July. I've no idea what the rainfall has been like up there this week but must be looking good for a steam return soon.

12. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

The fear has to be that the current blanket imposition of diesel assistance will become mandatory in all circumstances, with TOCs being told to make a case for an exemption.
    Adverse customer perception is very difficult to quantify in the short term too. It will no doubt be contended that given higher rates of failure for steam traction a diesel provides insurance to protect the customer from having to wait hours to be rescued with the attendant delays.
    I dare say there are actually advantages for TOCs too and operators reducing coal, water and wear costs.
    Hope I am wrong because the spectacle is totally ruined.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Just seen the local forecast for the week ahead in Kent, and there is talk of back to 30C by the end of the week. :eek:

Have to see what is said on Countryfile later.

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Made a visit to the MHR today. The line side banks are still very dry. If it did rain over Saturday night it hasn't made any difference. I wonder if the Thomas event will be diesel locos only with Thomas running around Ropley yard.

15. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Living just outside Alton I can say it has been rather on the dry side, even during the recently forecast heavy rain. It has rained here, but not in sufficient quantity or for a long enough duration to make much of a difference.

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Forecast on Countryfile for the week ahead not that encouraging for the lower half of the country. Some rain, but then warming up again especially over here in the East, (Kent). Then perhaps some storms coming up from France for the East. But we keep getting promised those in mid Kent, but they rarely get here! My garden could really do with a decent all night storm with heavy rain lasting that long.

Couldn't easily see the three days of train that, for instance, the Mid Hants are reported to have said they need before they re-start steam operations.

But forecasts in changeable weather are often wrong, so fingers crossed!

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Glad to see that the forecast change in weather has actually materialised and we may be moving back to a more typical summer mix.

But should we now be worried about an uncorroborated rumour that there is an internal memo going around Network Rail that raises another issue over the use of steam locomotives on charters. Someone has noticed the fact that water is often seen pouring out of these locomotives from under the cab (blown out under pressure by steam it would seem). There are concerns that this may be destabilising ballast or possibly affecting cabling in critical signalling locations. NR is currently undertaking a risk assessement to see whether steam locomotives should now be banned from using water........

18. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

It is was the first day of April, you would say it had to be an APRIL FOOLS JOKE!

19. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

There is nothing any of us on here can do. Its nature. We live in a Maritime climate that can bring extremes of weather. NR are protecting their assets and not risking setting fire to their neighbours land.

Try starting a bonfire and then throwing it over your fence and se what your neighbour does?!

Suck it up and wait for Autumn to arrive.

20. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes I agree. I would love to book on ay local DCE or maybe a Torbex but not until I am sure of pure steam. Booked on Clan Line 31/8 but will change this if there is any hint of a DL. Otherwise I am going to wait until the autumn when there are some juicy tours and 34046 may actually be working trains by then.

The last few days have been typical July, sunshine and showers and August tends to be a wet month.

Don