If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Ban due to fire risk (updates)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Jul 12, 2013.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I appreciate that the Jacobite service it is far removed from the rest of the countrys steam services, so was simply wondering what the position was at FW. We, that is the forum members, are not privy to the organisation of the Jacobite and therefore the information that it is not subject to the national 'bans', is good news, for which we thank you.

2. RalphW

Yes just picked a few that might make people think about it. As a youngster I had a once a week task in my job as a junior lab assistant. It was sampling and testing in situ the product from 130 separate chemical production units. it was in normal weather a very damp 100+ deg F, the job took about 4 hours non stop. Going on the 30deg C rule nobody would have worked in that plant.

3. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    uksteaminfo update on Clan Line / VSOE / British Pullman Surrey Hills excursion this Saturday: [Now diesel hauled due to fire risk]

No update at the time of writing this on Clan Line's Twitter feed.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So it seems that at present anything on the Southern has to be diesel or nothing at all whereas elsewhere, steam can work with diesel in most situations. OK it's for NR to decide but, with hindsight, this could be seen as a 'result' for the rest of Britain. Makes a change for the south to feel the underdog.

5. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Is that true, or is it simply that VSOE passengers are much less likely to be bothered about the train being steam-hauled? (I have heard it said that some don't even realise when there's a steam loco on the front).

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Or is it an operator decision, have DBS run anything with a diesel/steam combo yet. WCR must be taking quite a hit with fuel and staff costs double heading everything.

7. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

For an operation that uses either 35028 or a diesel I 'd guess this one was very much down to an operator decision. It makes perfect sense to me not to bring 35028 out at extra cost for such a train.

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Not main line, but rather emphasising the extent of the fire risk we now have in many parts of the country, Mid Hants have stated on their web site that they have suspended steam operations until at least 26th July after discussions with the local fire department.

Can't say I blame them at all. Steep grades and a lot of crops and dense vegetation normally close to the track in places.

I'm just hoping fore the sake of the Tour Promoters as much as anyone that the main line doubleheading does see the diesel doing most of the work with no lineside fires resulting.

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What a daft thing to say. The current situation isn't a "result" for anyone. Operators taking a financial hit through cancelled trips or having to pay for two locos and crews. Passengers missing out on days out or not getting what they expected but this OK because the "south is being made to feel the underdog." :rolleyes:

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Ease back a bit! This heat is getting to all of us. No need to be so hard on someone who mostly makes a really excellent contribution to Nat Pres.

Get yerself into the fridge and have a couple of cold ones. Bell will score a ton, Aus will drop all some of their catches and it will be raining hard next week! LOL!

Kje7812 and sweetktg like this.
  11. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

What he (probably) meant is that the North should feel grateful that their trains are still running.

12. malc

malc Part of the furniture

DBS operate the Torbay Express which was 5029+47812.

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A group of us booked on a Weymouth Seaside Express on the 28th. My mate has enquired if it's still running. The answer came that it is as of today but a) may be cancelled at short notice and b) not known if diesel will be involved if it does run.

14. Big Al

Not daft at all. Two comments. It makes a change for the north to come off better than the south - that's a political point, if you hadn't noticed, and tongue was in cheek. Secondly - it IS a result for the north as at least they are getting a steam locomotive on something and without that, the same operators might have found it necessary to cancel and take more of a 'hit'. We know that, as inferred by JS, WCR worked hard to agree the package they are currently operating under.

15. Big Al

Deleted. Answer already given.

16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Keep in mind DBS half the time struggle to find crews for one loco, let alone a second at short notice.

17. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Utterly impossible with Clan Line and the Surrey hill route, and here is why. (this is what us Southerners are missing right now!)

18. RalphW

Not utterly impossible I can assure you, I have been asked on several occassions 'when do we get the steam engine on', by passengers half way down the train when there is a black 5 on the front that has been making far more noise that Clan Line ever could.... But of course most of the time they have their windows firmly shut.
    One particular passenger, trying to show his superior knowledge to the other members of his party said, the steam engine is not on yet as they don't go this fast. We were at the time doing about 65, heading from Crewe to Stockport with 6233 on the front on a Scarborough Flyer. They had not seen her at Crewe as they were late arriving, and only got to the platform a few seconds before we were due to depart.

19. Big Al

Maybe it's just a northern thing then?...............................
    ;)

20. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Ha ha did you get away with that