If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Ban due to fire risk (updates)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Jul 12, 2013.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Wow! That's the White Heat of the Internet Revolution for you.

Me? I just stick my hand out of the window.

If it gets wet I knows it's raining.

2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You make more of an effort than me then. I normally just look out of the window. Don't even have to leave the sofa that way.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    "This weather app and widget are able to warn you against precipitation (like rain or snow) by a silent alarm."

I find I can look up at the sky, and observing the immediate conditions, make a pretty good decision as to whether there is precipitation likely, which would seem to me a far more accurate prediction for my precise locality.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

As we slowly head towards the first steam tours of 2014 I thought it would help everyone to know that, at present, restrictions due to fire risks do not seem about to be imposed.

We can only hope that situation continues up to the date of the first trip which I think is about three weeks ago.

Fingers crossed.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

How seasonal! The only restriction at present down my way is the absence of any railway connection between Guildford and Portsmouth where the running and third rails are developing a nice rust colour on the closed bit between Haslemere and Petersfield. Suddenly, Network Rail has been reminded why it took so long to construct the Portsmouth Direct route. The need to maintain cuttings and embankments has come back to bite them big time. It appears that throwing a bit more ballast down, raising the track and screwing up the clearances for steam is not always sufficient.

KentYeti likes this.