If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spring/Summer/Autumn 2018 CMEs

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, May 9, 2018.

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Ian not sure why it would go both ways over the S & C as that would require a reversal at Preston and a change from the 86 to diesel.
    Not sure if they would allow diesel pushed steam over Shap at the moment or not. If not maybe 86 all the way to Carlisle

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

3. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Light engine over the S&C northbound... I "think" it's a total steam ban on the WCML, which is why the Fellsman has to go diesel only as far as Hellifield tomorrow. If that's the case, the steam would have to work light engine (+ diesel + pob) Carnforth - Hellifield - Carlisle to then pick up the train for the southbound leg. Or round the Cumbrian Coast?

4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

I know this might be a bit reductive but wouldn't it be wiser just to use non-steam traction throughout and invite anyone dissatisfied to apply for a partial refund? Seems a lot of faffing to provide an illusion of the original offer when the received wisdom is that the majority of passengers ain't that fussed and understand the circumstances.

John Merry likes this.
  5. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Much as they understand the situation they still like to see a steam loco on the train as that's what they paid for. As a rule they are not bothered (or do not understand) what or how the traction is provided as long as there is a live hissing beast on or near the front of the train to marvel at when the opertunity arises. This is something the organisers strive to offer if possible. At least this is my experience having been the guard on three such trains in the last week.

Peter

thickmike likes this.
  6. 26D_M

You know far more than me but I think there is a fair degree of confirmation bias in that rationale.

7. torgormaig

Eh? Care to explain this in plain English. I'm not sure that I see what you are getting at here.

Peter

8. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Post 100 on the Scarborough Spa thread sums it up very well from a passengers point of view.

10. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Surely the way to go is electric to Carlisle with a longer layover. Immaterial to us as we ain't getting up at 0430 for show pony steam. One loss down, more to go!!!!

11. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    I think WCRC deserve a lot of praise for their handling of what is a very delicate situation. It cannot be easy dealing with the present circumstances
    There is also an obvious lack of photters going out for the trains at the moment which is understandable with diesel behind and no clag.

12. 26D_M

Sure, if it is belived "a show pony is better than no pony" it is likely only evidence to back the theory will be heard.
    Personally I think when faced with a prolonged fire risk situation, when there is time to change things and notify customers, the right thing to do is either offer a partial refund, transfer of booking or postpone. That should be a proactive behaviour by the promoter too.

13. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Wouldn't hurt to add a rider on the advertising on the web and to tell telephone customers that due to the prolonged heatwave and the dry conditions the train will be diesel assisted then they can make up their own minds on an informed basis not have to hunt in the small print if they don't like the show pony steam they'll get.

Sympathise with the promoters but there should be more openness.

26D_M likes this.
  14. 26D_M

It isn't actually WCs responsibility in this case Henry to communicate with passengers, RTC is the promoter.

15. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Got you Danny, but I meant the operating side of the show,which I possibly didnt explain very well

16. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Bit of BS around this train as I'm pretty sure there's been a total steam ban on the WCML (N) since 2nd July; and no unassisted steam has run over the S&C since then either. An email to customers of what to expect if there was no rain between the 2nd and 14th wouldn't have gone amiss on the PR front.

Saphos Trains are setting the right example:

Email from Saphos this morning stating the 'William Shakespeare' of 21st July is postponed until 8th September. Citing 'no significant rainfall' forecast between now and the 21st, rendering steam locomotive operations unlikely. Full refund offered to those who can't make the new date.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. torgormaig

All of which goes to prove my long held suspicion that you do not really understand the market that these trains cater for. These day out are often booked months in advance and for some it is for a special occasion. Cancellation or postponement would cause upset and disappointment to far more passengers than it would please. Am I really misreading the signs when I see people off the train crowding round the engine when they can. Are they just being polite when they leave full of thanks for an excellent day. I think RTC and West Coast know what they are doing when it comes to understanding what the majority of their passengers want and it is not unnecessary cancellation.

Peter

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The other point is that if NR requires the steam loco to have a fully operational ashpan spray in this weather then does that not limit what loco can be used even if a DL does all the work?

19. 26D_M

As before, I do defer to your superior direct knowledge.
    Whilst I may know a good deal less than you, I don't think this is an especially unique market and there are general consumer traits and trading behaviour that apply equally here. The main one being communication, information and choice. All that is being said here is that in a prolonged period of degraded mode, such as at present, customers ought to have some choices brought to their attention. It is impossible to know what long term adverse effect the show pony has if it isn't acknowledged with an offer of part refund as compensation.
    Saphos seem to understand best practice, it's not that difficult a concept.

20. torgormaig

What makes you think this does not happen? Just because this communication does not happen to outside observers does not mean that the organisers do not communicate to their customers. You seem to expect a train to be cancelled because a minority of passengers may want to go on a different date. You appear to over look the fact that the majority still want to travel as arranged. To many this hot weather is not all bad news - you can be fairly certain that the views on the S&C will not be obscured by rain and mist. At present Saphos are not running repeat itinary trains on a weekly basis and are possibly aiming for a different market. They seem to be courting the enthusiast element of the market which is perfectly understandable and communicate accordingly. RTC/WC have a far wider market these days, and while they are very happy to accommodate enthusiasts they feel no need to be dictated to by them. That is why their trains are running in this current fashion.

Peter

Copper-capped, RalphW, JohnMc and 5 others like this.