If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway - Latest News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by matt41312, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Lovely feedback, thank you that is appreciated. The unsung hero of the weekend was the Class 10 which appeared occasionally from very early to the end of service on the Saturday mainly shunting stock and hauling SKP trains into Tunbridge Wells West.

2. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    I've chimed on about it a bit but this weekend No. 419 and No. 828 are in steam again hauling trains this weekend, this is the last time 419 is in service with us before she heads off back to the Battlefield Line for Easter. 828 is staying with us on her loan until October, the final weekend of 828 operating will be at our Beer Festival from 7th to 9th October.

The 09:30 from Tunbridge Wells West and the 16:50 from Eridge will be double headed, 419 leading 828. I'm 828s driver on Saturday so feel free to come and say hello.

Departures from Tunbridge Wells West: 09:30 (419+828), 10:50 (419), 12:10 (828), 13:30 (419), 14:50 (828) & 16:15 (419).
    Departures from Eridge at 10:10 (419), 11:30 (828), 12:50 (419), 14:10 (828), 15:30 (419) & 16:50 (419+828).

One thing I will say to anyone giving this heritage railway thing a go is that giving up isn't an option, one thing that has always driven my own determination is various comments I've overhead and read that say the Spa Valley won't ever get anywhere or sort of viewing us as a nobody line. It is purely people saying things like that which drive not just me but all of us there, to do our best and make things happen, like the various big diesels that have visited, the Bulleid moving in, the L&Y tank visiting and the Caley pair coming together to name but a few.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    pmh_74, Johnme101, CH 19 and 8 others like this.
  3. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Actually this reminds me of a question I was going to ask with regard to Forge Farm crossing. Why is it that Spa Valley trains have to stop here and be signalled through whereas NR trains speed through?

4. TheModster

TheModster Member

I believe its to do with the fact that the Spa Valley doesn't trigger the crossing 'properly' (the alarm goes off for about 4 seconds), so a hand signaller has to make sure its clear before letting a train through, whereas NR trains do trigger the crossing.

A1X likes this.
  5. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    The Uckfield line over Forge Farm is controlled via treadles and track circuits, our line isn't it just has the box at the crossing which our attendant can operate to turn the lights from green to red and then display a green flag. A big factor in why it was done this was was down to cost, the LCU and mods to get what we have today were around £25K from memory (it was done in 2009/10 by Westinghouse as a training project). It would be excellent to automate our side too but that isn't something we can do just yet. The reason trains stop and then go once the flag is up rather than a continuous slower movement is down to the way the current level crossing order is written.

Gladiator 5076, A1X and 35B like this.
  6. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Two more clips from my visit to the Spa Valley on Sunday:

Hope they're of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

Johnme101 and Spamcan81 like this.
  7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    You've managed to catch me and my dog in the 828 arrival sequence. :) We're in the end vestibule of the leading carriage.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Whilst I'm sure that The Spa can think of better ways to spend £25k, if some safe alternative arrangement can be made in conjunction with NR then it would reduce the staffing necessary at the crossing.

9. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    The £25k was to install what we have now, I dread to think how much a full automation would cost. We just about manage staffing wise, indeed the hut has had the internet for quite sometime and basic amenities to make it as homely as it can be. Some volunteers we have just do Forge Farm and quite enjoy spending time there.

One day maybe we’ll see it automated. Bridges that need replacing, a earthworks to repair and various other infrastructure projects keep coming along. The storm managed to write off one of our roller shutter doors last month so that’s another £4,500 gone thanks to something out of control. Not worth the hassle of an insurance claim.

10. TheModster

TheModster Member

What causes the brief alarm to go off when a Spa Valley train is near, is that also controlled by the attendant or a trigger on the track?

11. 45669

Retired
    I've sometimes seen myself in other people's snaps and clips at railway galas!

Spamcan81 likes this.
  12. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    The key being turned by our crossing attendant, it does the same as a train striking in on the Uckfield line. It’s a yodal alarm, the SSI output tells it to do it.

TheModster likes this.
  13. 45669

Retired
    Another clip from the Spa Valley Railway last Sunday; trains at Groombridge where the passing loop is situated this time:

TTFN,

Ron.

Johnme101 and bluetrain like this.
  14. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    The Caley pair have been warmed through and are ready for tomorrow. First train from Tunbridge Wells West is at 09:30, I'm on 828 feel free to say hello, my best mate is 419s driver and my other half is 419s fireman.

15. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I'm sorry to be unable to get there after all.

16. 45669

Retired
    Here's my final clip from the Spa Valley:

Ron.

Johnme101 likes this.
  17. Lord Belborough

Lord Belborough New Member

I really enjoyed my day out at the Spa Valley yesterday. Woke up early and decided on a 60 mile trip around the M25 and it was well worth it to see and ride behind the 2 caley engines on a double header. The loadings by mid morning were very good. TWW station platform was a tight squeeze with the crowds. I can see most locos have to be stored outside with the engine shed being used for restoration projects. Will be back later in the year for some diesel action.

18. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Had a really enjoyable day at the line today and was impressed with how lovely the line was and the interesting shunting movements, both at TWW and Eridge (the one to set up the double header for the last departure to TWW being one and allowed some good chances to get pictures of the 2 locos together). Although trains ended up being half hour late pretty much from the start and the final couple of trips were eventually top and tailed, the trains were busy with standing room only on some and the stations seemed to be well populated.

The 2 Caley locos are really lovely locos and both liveries look stunning, was also nice to see the Scottish Region running in boards were still in place until the last trips. Definitely looking forward to another visit to the railway soon.

19. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

It's been an outstanding two weekends and my full praise goes to the bods who made this all happen.

The final double header after starting off from Forge Farm Crossing this evening.

IMG_4094.JPG

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Nice. hadn't noticed the oast houses there before.