If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway - Latest News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by matt41312, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The magic number, 1,813 visitors over the two days for the Caley engines. I had the pleasure of driving both 419 and 828 over the weekend and I can say for certain they are wonderful machines and are a true credit to their owners and support groups. Absolutely magical being at Groombridge and seeing the Bulleid from the footplate of a Caley loco whilst coupled to another.

The Spa Valley really did come to life this weekend and we're all very proud of what we've achieved and equally extremely grateful to all of you that visited and contributed to the income and large profit this event has generated. Please send your photos to us too, photographs@spavalleyrailway.co.uk we really want to see them, this event is the busiest and biggest steam enthusiast event we've ever done with the visitor numbers even beating the Beer Festival in October last year by over 300 people on the train (albeit we don't get an accurate count of those just turning up to drink at that event).

Thank you once again and thank you to so many of you that came and said hello, it was lovely to be able to meet others in this hobby and just chat normally.

2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    @Paulthehitch I think we have an Answer to your question right here.

Copper-capped and Spamcan81 like this.
  3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
  4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Had a great time on Sunday. A pleasant mix of photography, ale sampling and a first run for me with both the Caley locos. A very spirited run behind 828 on the 13:30 ex Eridge.

Jonnie likes this.
  5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

With such an intensive service and mix of motive power it was never long until the next train, either to ride on it, photograph it or simple watch it go by.

Really pleased to hear from @Jonnie that the weekend was a success. And all credit to the Spa for keeping up a regular mix of locomotives visiting the line. This is really worth continuing if the numbers stack up.

6. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    I was there on the Sunday and a very good day it was too. I've made a start on editing my video footage and the first instalment can now be seen on YouTube:

There's also a still photo on Flickr:

[​IMG]RD23792. CR 828 at Eridge, Spa Valley Railway. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Hope they're of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

7. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Out of interest - Given that Eridge is next to NR lines and Spa Valley footplate crew could, should the mood take them, easily step onto NR tracks, do Is Spa Valley Railway trackside safety assessment the same / same standard as on NR? Or do you need additional permissions from NR?

8. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    It has been drummed into our volunteers from day 1 of operating to Eridge that unless there is an emergency scenario they are prohibited from going beyond the 4ft towards the NR line at anytime.

Control of our persons between Birchden and Eridge is very strict with a PTS course and recertification probably more enhanced than a number of railways.

Romsey, Bluenosejohn, ady and 3 others like this.
  9. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

Evening all.

Thinking of popping over for a visit tomorrow. Is anyone able to confirm which loco (s) will likely be in use please?

Many thanks :)

Ben

10. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Due to a lack of steam crew 31430 and 73140 are in use tomorrow. No steam. On Thursday 'Douglas' and 73140 in service, on Saturday and Sunday 419 and 828 are in use.

Crawley Ben likes this.
  11. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Jonnie, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ben

12. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Timetable for this weekend, which is the final bit of operation of 419 during her visit so makes it the last time you can see the Caley pair operating together. High Rocks is open so all trains will stop there.

Attached Files:

Dan Hill and Paul42 like this.
  13. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Popped over on Sunday with my daughter. The Spa Valley is becoming a firm favourite with her. She's 4 and loves to visit, have a wander around the shed, ride the trains and is a big fan of spending time on the platform at Groombridge just watching the trains and spending my money at the kiosk. She was delighted to see Donald and Douglas

She loved her first brake van ride this weekend and has been talking about it since. (the fireman putting out 419s lineside deposits with the slack pipe especially!) Not sure how long she'll keep being interested in my hobbies but its nice whilst it lasts. She was very disapointed the diesels weren't working this weekend though!

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I'm thinking of going but the booking page is puzzling. For Saturday "e-Tickets are available until Sat 09 Apr 2022 21:00" and similarly for Sunday "... until Sun 10 Apr 2022 21:00". Does "available" mean for sale or for use? Either way, what's the use of a ticket after the trains have stopped for the day?

15. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Sometimes the Railway runs evening trains ( for Real Ale , Fish and Chips etc ) which you can also travel on using the ticket , since there will be spare capacity on the train which is not being in used.

16. MellishR

Sometimes, perhaps, but no such trains are shown in the timetable for this weekend. And does "available" mean the tickets can be bought on the day? Is there a limited number?

17. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    It is just the time eTickets are switched off online, by default it is 00:01 on the day so they'd be off on the day if someone wanted to purchase so it is set up to run until late evening because on occasions we do operate in the evening which our day time tickets are always valid on. I can amend it to switch off at anytime in theory.

18. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    For anyone interested, 828 is in steam tomorrow and hauling trains alongside 73140.

Johnme101 and Crawley Ben like this.
  19. MellishR

Thank you for the clarification.

Jonnie likes this.
  20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And as a side comment, can I add that the Spa communication on here is top notch. Whilst this Forum is not the most important way of getting one's message across, this Railway seems to go the extra mile and this is much appreciated.

A1X, Jonnie, ady and 7 others like this.