If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway - Latest News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by matt41312, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Despite the rain, the Spa did us proud today. Decent timing on quick turn around slots and the visitor was lively if asked.

Had Douglas and the '23' down to Eridge but 51456 was on its own coming back. Nice and easy up the hill and a bit of a test due to the speed restriction over Broom Lane bridge. SKP walked along the line with no fuss. A good day.

P1130552.JPG P1130561.JPG P1130566.JPG

2. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is a private road with no parking so driving to the crossing isn't something we can recommend, the owners wouldn't be too impressed blocked their drive.

3. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    For anyone wondering, having driven and fired 51456 today I can thoroughly recommend it, an absolutely awesome bit of kit. Steams very easily and pulled 4 with ease up to Tunbridge Wells with main valve just cracked. The three of us had a lovely day steaming up and down.

Big Al likes this.
  4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Thanks. Wasn't thinking of driving right up to the crossing but somewhere close enough from where my mate could walk.

5. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Was rather wet yesterday, so I sheltered around TWW Yard and Box. Had planned to be back today for the sunny weather but family matters have taken priority.

DSC_0917 (2).JPG DSC_0899 - Copy.JPG DSC_0996 - Copy.JPG

6. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

An enjoyable day yesterday despite the weather! Short video that I managed of a couple of departures from Eridge during the day.

oliversbest and Johnme101 like this.
  7. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Really superb day yesterday despite the weather, we visted and met up with my parents - we decided against travelling so put the equivelent in the donation tin at Eridge and watched the trains instead, my first visit since 2012! Video from Groombridge, High Rocks and Eridge below, photos to follow. Many thanks to all involved in organising the event!

Spamcan81, D1039 and Johnme101 like this.
  8. Spamcan81

Training moles
  9. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Some nice images and video of what looked a good event and great value (far too cheap really?) at £15. Special admiration for those out in the rain on Saturday.
    I did notice from the video clips and the webcam although the odd droplight was open on Saturday there appear to be no toplights open. I thought advice was to keep airflow, easier to do in a Mk1 to help with Covid issues. Those steamed up MK1's looked like a Covid incubator, but maybe it felt better if you were there.

oliversbest likes this.
  10. alts1985

Can’t speak for all the time but I do remember noticing on one occasion almost every toplight was open as the train passed.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

On the wet day when I was travelling the top lights were shut but people were very careful about distancing and avoided getting into my personal space where there was a spare seat.

It's worth remembering though that on a journey of 30 minutes there was a period at Groombridge when doors were open and the air changed plus of course at each destination. So actually not a lot of incubation.

That's a far cry from being stuck on a steam charter for a few hours before having the opportunity to stretch your legs. Euston to Carlisle anyone with no leg stretch for nearly six hours? I know which I would prefer.

12. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    A very good weekend for us, thank you to all those that came along and supported it.

The L&Y tank is next in use on 12th & 13th February before returning to the East Lancs Railway so you've got one last weekend of L&Y action in the South East!

With regards to COVID, we have opening windows and they're opened as required but people do then like closing them, which on Saturday with the rain joining them on the tables I suspect they did as fast as our TTI could go back through opening them again.

13. ykin01

ykin01 Member

Will have to try and get back again that weekend, the L&Y Tank is a delight - thanks to Jonnie and all the Spa Valley volunteers for a fantastic weekend!

14. alts1985

Wagoniester likes this.
  15. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Thank you for sharing all these great photos with us. Makes the event worthwhile when you get to see such great images! If you're happy with any being used in publicity then please drop them over to photographs@spavalleyrailway.co.uk, credits given where possible on social media etc.

On another matter, non-train related but supporting a local business, yesterday with my Commercial Managers hat on I visited at the Copper Rivet Distillery in Chatham Dockyard which produces Kent's very own whisky. At the Spa we're launching The Kent Whisky Train on 19th February which will exclusively use whisky created here in Kent and this follows on from our incredibly popular Kent Gin Train which has operated for a couple of years now.

Copper Rivet is a fascinating place and located in an old pump house in the Dockyard, once upon a time it could pump out the dry dock in 45 minutes, the modern day replacement took 3 days... Progress... I was taken through the process of how they produce whisky, gin and vodka at their distillery and provided with very detailed notes on the products we're going to stock, this means our team of dining train staff can get a fairly good understanding of what the customers are sampling and provide some further information to them as required. A further couple of hours discussing pricing and other opportunities we had in place everything that will be needed for 19th February.

Why am I typing this? Because it really isn't all about running trains or restorations etc and so many people don't realise the little things that go on behind the scenes to ensure heritage railways can continue to thrive. This is a bit more of the glamorous side of the role I am fortunate enough to sit in but other elements can be rather tame in comparison but essential, such as accounting!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    CH 19, 35B, Bluenosejohn and 3 others like this.
  16. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Amen to that. (Deserved more than a simple like :))

17. alexl102

alexl102 Member

It seems like the Spa Valley Railway is really maturing as a heritage line. Just out of interest, what is their relationship with Andy Booth/the ELR? They seem to hire locos from there quite often. Is it just a case of suitable locos being available or does AB also have an existing relationship with the SpVR?

18. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Does anyone know if this "graffiti" - Sold Mr. Woodham - is still present on the slide bar of 34053 ‘Sir Keith Park’ after all theses years?
    36417255-A45E-45B7-AD23-C536D74B0162.png

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  19. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Is that the correct link or should it be spavalleyrailway rather than sapvalleyrailway?

20. oliversbest

oliversbest Member