If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley and Eridge

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by tom92240, May 27, 2007.

1. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Would certainly be good to see a full tender loco on the Spa Valley - One question though; is the line limited to a certain working load?
    All the same will be good to see the outcome... I think the line definately needs a tender Loco once the extension is complete...

2. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    we have the standard weight limits on our line i think the only locos that cannot go there are things like merchant navies and locos with rediculous axle loadings, we are quite a versatile line quite happy running our tank engines though it would obviously be briliant if a loco owner/group offered to bring a small tender engine to the railway for a long running period. \:D/

3. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
  4. matt41312

matt41312 Member

34007 - do you know of anywhere we could get a tender engine then? If so PM me. I think the railway would be interested maybe for the opening/gala event. Especially for furture gala events as I organise the annual steam gala.

The problem with having a tender engine at 75F on a semi permenant basis is that our trains are limited to 4 on normal operating days which would look a bit daft behind a Bullied or a 9F. There is also the steaming fee aspect and the cost of fuel. Our tank engines currently cope admirably with our services and prove very economical. I think we need to increase our passenger base before a decent sized tender engine becomes viable on a regular basis.

This doesn't mean we'd say "no" though if one was to be offered. \:D/

Matt

5. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

I wouldnt of thought it would be possible to run a tender engine, the spa valley only has a small headshunt at TWW. or are there plans to extend that??

6. matt41312

matt41312 Member

At the moment there are no plans to return the headshunt to its original length. However for special events we can operate a tender engine under shunt release or pilot working. This has already had to be done for the Class 37 that's now on the line. A normal running day could prove more problematic as to run the operation above would put a far greater need on more volunteers who will be stretched to their limit anyway when Eridge opens.

I'm sure we will cope though. We always do!!! \:D/

Matt

7. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    =D>

8. twouglies

twouglies New Member

So how is the the work on the crossing at Forge Farm that has been a sticking point for so long coming along as the track looks ready to roll the last time that I looked? Are there any other holding factors?

9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

10. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    [/quote:18lc5spj]

The shed is full atm, albeit it with a C/W aisle! I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller tender loco such as J15, City etc, anything bigger would just look silly!

11. matt41312

matt41312 Member

There is still some work to be done on the crossing but Westinghouse have said this should not take too much time to install and implement.

[/quote:3afh22m4]

With regards to the larger engines, you have to think about the coal bills and additional operating costs involved. If we could guarantee 4 coaches full, all day everyday, it would be a different kettle of fish. Also if the railway land allowed for an easy operation of a tender engine. I.e. long headshunts etc, they would be more operationally viable.

Our current operation is easily managed by the Jinty and Pannier and this will form the basis of our operation for a number of years to come.

Like I've said, this is not to say we'd ever refuse a tender engine for the line. A nice Standard 4 Mogul/Standard 2 would be nice, along with a visit from the C class or O1 from the Bluebell!!! Although these are purely my own opinions...

For those of you who are unaware, our contractors have resumed work on the track at Eridge again. Phase 2 covers the work to bring the former bay road back into serviceable condition. This includes spot resleepering and changing timbers under the points at the London end of the station. Work is also being carried out in preparation for the installation of the buffer stops at the country end of Eridge.

12. 34007

I remember many years ago the line being offered and in the running for a tender loco! And I feel 95% happy that it was a bulleid??

13. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I'd like to to see the Spa Valley line reconnect to the Tunbridge Wells main line, upgrade the track, raise the line speed and put in a third rail, and offer through trains to London Bridge from Uckfield.

14. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Do I take it you would also be willing to pay for a substantial part of your pipe dream?

15. matt41312

matt41312 Member

You'd be right 34007. The group who were originially restoring Eddystone were going to bring the engine to 75F before they joined forces with Southern Locomotives and it became part of the Swanage fleet.

It would be nice one day to see a Bullied at 75F though, especially pulling out of Eridge with a rake of green Mark 1s!!! \:D/

I see we have a supporter of the Wealden Line campaign in the forum!! And what a very expensive pipe dream. IMHO I can't see Sainsburys rolling over and allowing half their store to be demolished to gain access to the Central station. And how would you double track around the former station site at Groombridge where the houses have been built??

Matt

16. 34007

You have to remember that Sainsburys do not own the car-park! They're car park is leased by the railway and could be taken over with some notice at any given time.... But would be good if the Spa Valley could get a bulleid or should have got a bulleid if the line didn't lose their nerve....

17. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Shaw Savill is available, talk to Ian Riley, no reasonable offer refused.

Chris W.

18. matt41312

matt41312 Member

It's nothing to do with the car park that could stop re-opening the line to the Central station. It's the fact that Sainsburys' toilet block, veg section and brand new wareshouse are all now built over what could have been a possible route back to the Central station. Plus the council's bus station.

As for the Bullied, I am too young to know what went on in the early days of the Spa. I've only been on the line just over ten years and I know the management has changed quite considerably from the early years when maybe the nerve was lost.

What we should not remember is that the railway has come a considerable long way for a line so young, and I don't think there is any doubting "the nerve" of the railway now. If there was any doubt, Eridge would still be on the drawing board rather than fast becoming reality.

Matt

19. 34007

I am pretty sure a single line (at a squeeze) could go beside Sainsburys and the road to get to the tunnel beyond Sainsburys?

20. James

James Part of the furniture

Wasn't the "railway corridor" supposed to have been kept clear as part of this development? It'll be interesting if Sainsbury's have built something they didn't have planning permission for (although the local government will probably cave in and award it.).