If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley and Eridge

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by tom92240, May 27, 2007.

1. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Hows that coming along? I have been out of touch with this planned extension. Maybe Matt can shed some light :D

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Steam railway has some information for you in the latest issue. It seems to be progressing well with the nearest outlook being next year. The Birchdean end also has a lot of sleepers lying about.
    Cheers,

Ross

Spa Volunteer.

3. tom92240

Lazy
    I dont get Steam Railway, but thanks for some info

4. beetlejuice

Matt will give you a more definitive view but I think it's simply a removal of maintanace issues so as points and such like

5. tom92240

Lazy
    I hope you will make good use of both platforms and the long siding. I take it the Signal Box is not on this list to come under Spa ownership then? Its sad, such a useful piece of kit that would be. I await to hear eagerly from Matt then :D

6. beetlejuice

I think if I remember correctly from the plans i was looking at yesterday that just the play platform will be used with a run round loop just outside the station. Don't think we are using the other platform.

Cheers,

Ross

PS I see you live in Crowborough, Will you be coming down when we get there?

7. tom92240

Lazy
    Play platform? I assume you meant bay :D I intend to come down hopefully before you all get to Erdige and chip in, I used to be a member a while back working alot with the Late Mr Ashbee. However having alot on at the Bluebell when im at home and Didcot when at Uni, it will be a little difficult to fit it all in. But sure as damn will try as Eridge is a lovely station and one of my favorite places to be!

8. beetlejuice

I do mean bay I apolgise! It is a lovely station yet seems to be sadly neglected when i was last there last year.

9. tom92240

Lazy
    It looks by far better than it used to in the Mid 90's. I have seen many stages of it from when the Signalling was removed and the Class 50 arriving (and leaving) as well as NSE neglecting it, Connex neglecting it, South Central doing up some of the canopy and now Southern have spruced up the Footbridge and a few parts. As well as the Spa paying attention to their side. It sure has looked worse!

10. beetlejuice

Unfortunatly I haven't been around to see these changes though have heard they are coming on a pace!

11. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Tom,

Just seen your discussion. I will try and put an answer together for you over the next couple of days. All I can say is that things are going well, and we are just starting to get into full swing with installing the infrastructure that we need in place for the extension.

Matt

12. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Right.

Basically negotiations with Network Rail are progressing well and we are at a point where we can start moving on from negotiations towards getting the financial backing to make it all happen.

The project is going to be quite costly. The project is not only extending to Eridge but enhancing the infrastructure across the entire railway, including Tunbridge Wells West.

To run a decent service to Eridge, we need to do the following -

1. Install a passing loop at Groombridge - This includes building a signal box (the base is starting to be dug out), build and install signal posts, and install all the relevant equipment to make this all work!
    2. A point needs changing at Groombridge run round to enable us to bring the new platform extension into use.
    3. Contractors need to bring the trackwork on the extension up to scratch to enable trains to run.
    4. Infrastructure will need installing at Eridge, including watering facilities and some signalling that will protect all the pointwork at the station.

This is only a small fraction of what needs to be done, but some of the biggest tasks that face the railway in its bid to make Eridge. A lot of the money that will be spent is likely to go on contractors to enable us to reach Eridge in a managable time. This can be reduced and spent elsewhere if people come and join us. If you fancy doing this, come along. There's a warm welcome.

An article will be appearing in the next issue of steam railway which should detail some of the other things that is needed to be completed.

Hope this answers your questions.

Matt

13. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

More steam would be good.

14. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Got any we can 34007?

The guys and gals at 75F are working hard to get some of the engines overhauled and into service. Unfortunately, the same few people are running the service and maintaining the current fleet, which currently needs some attention!

The J94 and hopefully one of the TKhs should make some progress in the second half of the year.

Matt

15. svr1317

svr1317 New Member

As you will see in the latest Steam Railway and other press, an appeal for £500k has been launched to back this extension project. The railway is looking for both cash donations and commercial sponsorship, so if you are able to contribute, or know of a company who would possibly be interested in sponsoring (either in form of cash or kind), please get in touch with the railway - 01892 537715 or SVR Eridge Appeal, West Station, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 5QY.
    There is also a drive to recruit further volunteers and to get them trained up for roles on the extended line, so if you want to get involved in any way, now really is the time.

16. tom92240

Lazy
    Great news on the website: http://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/SpaLatestNews.htm

NETWORK RAIL SIGNALS £500,000 SPA VALLEY EXPANSION

Network Rail has now officially confirmed their support for the Spa Valley ’s final push to Eridge. A formal ‘letter of intent’ has provided both official support and confirmation of outstanding issues, all of which are well on the way to resolution. Following on from this the Spa Valley ’s directors have set a fund raising target of £500,000. It is hoped that a substantial proportion of this sum may be met by corporate sponsorship for companies to supply materials and / or labour for specific elements of the project. These will include trackwork, signalling, general construction and vegetation control. A full sponsorship package is available from the railway. The railway will of course gratefully accept any cash donations as well directed to the “Return to Eridge appeal”.

This long standing and audacious project, dismissed by many as unachievable in the context of the railway scene of the 1980s when first mooted will see heritage trains run parallel with National Rail services for just under 1 mile from Birchden Junction to Eridge station. This section of line was singled in 1990. Spa Valley trains will use the former down line with London – Uckfield ‘Turbostar’ services using the former up line. Network Rail and their predecessors Railtrack have honoured a 17 year old agreement originally made with BR to retain the former down line all the way to Eridge. Similarly at Eridge station, the former interchange for the two lines, infrastructure was retained including track, a siding, signal box and an entire redundant island platform with its buildings and canopies, all awaiting the return of Spa Valley trains from Tunbridge Wells. Eridge station currently presents itself as the archetypal country junction with two island platforms. The heritage operation will utilise both faces of the eastern most island whilst Uckfield line trains serve one road of the adjacent western island.

Physical work will include track renewal in both ‘heritage’ platforms at Eridge together with new pointwork and a ground frame. One road was truncated many years before the line closed in order to provide access by steps off the platform into an adjacent car park. This will prevent the short term establishment of a run round loop, a system of shunt releasing stock will be adopted. Whilst some work may be undertaken using volunteer labour, much (including technical and electrical work) will have to be done by NR approved contractors.

A potential stumbling block has been the establishment of a safe method of operation for an occupational road crossing at Forge Farm. On site meetings at the crossing with NR directors, HMRI and signalling engineers to agree modifications to the SSI controls have culminated in Invensys (Westinghouse) agreeing to undertake the design, installation and commissioning of the required modifications to the existing crossing equipment as a training exercise. This generous undertaking kick starts the project and is worth a substantial six figure sum. Network Rail have also undertaken sponsorship in underwriting much of their project management costs.

A two train service will be needed and work is already in place to convert the existing run round loop at Groombridge into a fully signalled passing place. Several signal posts are already in position, the down distant being the first installed. Although there was formerly a signal box at the western end of the loop, a new box will be built at the end of the current platform at Groombridge as this will provide better site lines for the new working arrangements. The railway is provisionally looking at a reopening during the 2008 season.

17. beetlejuice

3 questions though I should ask elsewhere(matt or on thursday when I'm trainee TTI):

1. Why do they need 2 train operation? acctually I think I know the answer to that, the interval between trains would be too long at TWW.

2. Does that mean the railway is shut for the part of the season next year or open just the eridge section isn't?

3. Not really a question and more speculation but how willl the shunt release work? Will a loco be kept down there?

Fantastic news though.

18. svr1317

svr1317 New Member

In answer to your questions Beetlejuice ;-

1. 2 trains are required both to maintain a reasonable frequency, and to connect with the hourly Southern trains at Eridge.
    2. No - the railway will only shut for the normal period during the winter. We could not afford to close for longer.
    3. he shunt release loco will probbly travel to Eridge on the rear of the first train each day, although this is not finalised and would depend on the loco being used.

It is realistic to open to Eridge next year BUT only if the money (or sponsorship / provision of materials) can be raised in the next few months to enable works to progress. The railway would appreciate any donations at the West station address. Sponsorship packs are also available for businesses through the same address (SVR West Station, Tunbridge Wells, Kent. TN2 5QY)

19. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

will there be any way that we can see the progress on fund raising or will we be told every so often??

20. SERA01UK

SERA01UK New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is very good to see that the line may finally be reopened to Eridge, I know a lot of dedicated people have work so hard to make this happen and it will be a fitting tribute to their dedication, often in the face of so many doubters, when that first train rolls into Eridge.