If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Tynedale Railway.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by sycamore, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Is there any news on a reopening date for the STR?

2. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Says July 2021 on the Website.

3. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

There is now a timetable leaflet on the website as well which is good news. No weekday running this year and the intermediate stations are closed, but its definitely the promise of a good start.

iancawthorne likes this.
  4. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As this seems to have become a more general discussion of the STR, may I suggest the Moderators change the title of this thread to remove the 'in administration' bit.

BiggerBob, clam1952 and bantamd14 like this.
  5. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Did trains start again today or is it next weekend ? I visited Alston recently, as I was in the area, and the station Cafe was open. There I had perhaps one of the best Burgers that I have ever had anywhere. It wasn't cheap but it was excellent. I had a short walk along the path beside the track bed and it looked like the STR had been spraying the weeds off ready for a fresh start. Some carriages were also on the platform awaiting a loco.

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Done :)

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There was mention in another thread about rolling stock sales that the STR have been acquiring carriages from eastern europe - can anybody confirm how many and what type(s)?

Mrcow likes this.
  8. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Six ex-Baden Vienna trams, which are being converted in Romania I think. Two have been delivered already, both are veranda ended I believe, and there's a mix of semi-opens and brakes to follow

9. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

Because it got posted to a meme group I'm in, the almighty bum/bun fight about Barber's cab extension is bordering on civil war. But with words rather than carving up territory.

10. bantamd14

bantamd14 New Member

What everyone's viewpoint, the argument has been discussed fully, I hope it is not resurrected here as it will benefit no one.

11. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Huh? non ti capisco ....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    35B likes this.
  12. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

Not everyone is on social media.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  13. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Well, I had a ride behind 'Barber' as originally restored, it looked wonderful and the low cab was a particular point of interest.
    I've also seen the cab extension. I can see why they did it, but I think it's a shame. But I guess it's easily reversible.

14. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    I recall similar outrage from 'certain quarters' withing the TRPS when Sir Haydn returned to service with a more sensibly proportioned cab in the late 60s .... none of which came from anyone who'd actually driven the loco during it's 1953-58 stint. Notably, the original cab was returned to the Corris recently, for display rather than reuse on No.10.

15. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

The reason for raising the cab roof were perfectly valid. However, the way in which the cab was shortened at the same time did the appearance no favours. The new Corris loco. is much improved in looks

16. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Much done way back when would likely be done differently these days. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky certain proposals for Blodge to do unspeakable things to two bendy engines went by the board!

Paulthehitch likes this.
  17. meeee

meeee Member

Moving away from the discussion about if it really needed to be done for a moment.

There are some important points to consider. Barber was restored with an HLF grant so it's story could be passed on to future generations. It's chunky size yet restricted profile is an intrinsic part of it's history and that of the Harrogate Gas Works railway. Now that aspect is gone.

Sir Hayden has also been modified in a sympathetic manner that looks attractive. There are similar Thomas Green locos with full height cabs and chimneys that could have been copied to at least produce something representative of the original builder. This was done to the Peckett and the result maintains much of the look of the original.

Finally the South Tynedale drew up a conservation plan for the loco and published it on the website, all be it some time after the decision was made. Yet they have not followed it and the result looks awful. Keeping the original cab profile is pointless if the original height is gone so why bother. You'll just end up with something that looks wrong and you can't see out of. Which is exactly what had happened.

The whole thing has been managed quite poorly from start to finish. Although there has been a lot of froth, there has also been plenty of people willing to offer help and knowhow to get a more sympathetic result. The end product is sadly predictable.

18. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Sorry but we will have to disagree.

19. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

That's the bit that grates with me the most. Some of you may remember that I tried to hold the STR's management to account by writing a letter to Heritage Railway. They responded with their CMP, which is still on the website if anybody wants to take a look at it. Much was made of the fact that no holes were going to be drilled in the original metalwork, everything would be reversible, etc.

But looking at some of the photos which have been shared on social media, it's clear that extra welds have been added in around the spectacles which weren't shown on the CMP. Which begs the question: did they make any other deviations from the plans?

I've never been totally unsympathetic to the STR's position on this. I've had manual handling injuries in the past, so I understand how important it is for footplate crews to maintain good posture. But I still question whether the STR did the right thing by agreeing to take on a locomotive which wasn't suitable for their needs, especially considering Barber's unique status as the only surviving Thomas Green loco in the northern hemisphere. Even once that decision had been made, it was possible to modify the engine in a much more sympathetic way, by constructing a completely new cab in Thomas Green style. This would have allowed the original one to be retained intact, and it could have been relatively esaily re-fitted at some point in the future.

All is not completely lost - the modifications are not totally irreversible - but it will now be a much more difficult exercise.

The STR has disgraced itself through its handling of this situation, and it fully deserves all the obloquy that has been heaped on it.

P-J and 61624 like this.
  20. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Anyone able to share a picture?