If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Somerset and Dorset Rebuild

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by lynbarn, May 18, 2016.

1. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    the trouble was, in interviews he always came across as such a dick.

2. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Maybe the guys who so skilfully masterminded the Rememberance Line scheme could provide guidance to the S&D revivalist chaps on how to put their argument across on a preservation forum? After all credibility is everything!

Maybe they could lend them one of their R1 tanks for a few weeks...

jnc, Rosedale, DisusedBranch and 4 others like this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't forget the re-gauged Irish DMUs...

Rosedale and Maunsell man like this.
  4. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Ah, the old you, get four fingers in a Kitkat

Mark Thompson likes this.
  5. D6332found

D6332found Member

On a more note note, there is a proposed extension to Chilcompton. How long can the line realistically get with big issues like bridges at Rowlsey?
    A 2 to-10 miles preserved line reminding people of the S%D would be wonderful, great work to all concerned.

aron33 likes this.
  6. Don't forget that Asbestos Alf is a dab hand at writing letters to councils. I really enjoyed the last trip I made on the South Bedfordshire Railway, it has come such a long way since people had the short-sightedness to dismiss the whole idea as a bonkers fantasy...

Rosedale, Bluenosejohn, jnc and 3 others like this.
  7. aron33

aron33 Member

And not to mention an infilled cutting/buried tunnel portal, and a station site now bordered directly next to a new housing estate.

8. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Readers of this thread may be interested in this photo that I took during the photo charter last week:- IMG_7122 copy.jpg

I am standing at the northern end of the infilled cutting looking towards Midsomer Norton, where MP 12 (from Bath Junction) is sited on the platform. The train is standing at the current limit of operation at MP 12 3/4 and I am about where the MP 13 should be. Chilcompton station was at MP 14.

Getting this far has been an incredible achievement for a relatively small organisation, especially given how overgrown the track bed was but I doubt they will get any further. Clearing the cutting behind me would be a massive undertaking and to what end? Chilcompton station? - only if you are prepaired to dig out the next cutting, leading into the station there, as well. And lets face it, it is not as if Chilcompton is another East Grinstead. But I guess that there is no harm in the dreamers dreaming on.

Hope this personal view (both picture and opinion) is of interest

Peter James

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Forestpines, OldChap, horace and 9 others like this.
  9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I certainly think that with work and good luck there is the possibility of creating a superb 'cameo' of the line with carefulkly selected rolling stock - and there is no room for a linear scrapyard

lynbarn likes this.
  10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

That, at least, is reassuring!

PH

Gav106 likes this.
  11. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    2018-04-01 11.30.47.jpg

Midsomer Norton This Morning

There wasn't a fireman for Joyce but I can live quite happily with a Gronk

12. aron33

aron33 Member

I have an idea, though.
    Why not excavate the infil in separate sections? That way, the S&D gang wouldn’t have to worry about funding, as operations can proceed, along with several special events to help build needed £££ for the mammoth task.

Gav106 likes this.
  13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Excavating Inberhorne tip on the Bluebell cost something like £25 / ton and was around 100,000 tons in total. That was with rail transport of the removed material - a small amount done by road was about £35 / ton. The cutting was quite deep but only about 500 yards long

If you were doing the job now, you also have to add a landfill tax on top to dispose of the waste. That adds £86 per ton.

At which point - do the maths. For a non-rail connected line, probably at least £120 / ton * how many thousands of tons?

Tom

14. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No chance. The S&D Heritage group at Midsomer Norton are concentrating on what they can do with the relatively short line they have and improving it in terms of quality. They're not going to be tempted by expansion schemes for which neither they, nor anyone else, has any money for. It was hard enough going for the GWSR Broadway extension, but at least that's now open and will, God willing, start to show a return on £1.25 million (and more) investment. I notice that the Swindon and Cricklade Railway has launched a £2.5million appeal to finish the extension to Cricklade but their website is still cluttered. I will admit that the recent front page update does look an improvement so well done for that at least. However, how will they raise that amount? I suppose I could answer my own question by saying, well, at least they can try!

15. PaulK

PaulK New Member

I have always wondered about the landfill tax, as this and the Inberhorne tip are already landfill why would it need taxing just to relocate it? Would it not have grandfather rights as being pre-existing landfill material?

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

No such grandfather rights. It is the process of disposing of it (with the intention to discard) at a licenced landfill site that makes the tax payable: the origin of the material you are disposing is irrelevant.

17. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

wasn't the raison d'etre to preserve and rebuild the station , the railway line is a bit of an afterthought isn't it? I don't know how long the line is but a half mile demonstration line isn't all that bad provided you can put on enough at the Station to make people enjoy the experience.

Bluenosejohn and Gav106 like this.
  18. Talking to Bears 00

Talking to Bears 00 New Member

Midsomer Norton Pumpkins on the Platform Sentinel No7109 Joyce

Great Day Thanks to all the Volunteers :)

Somerset & Dorset Railway Sentinel No7109 Joyce.jpg

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  19. Laurence Skinnerton

Laurence Skinnerton New Member

I think that the S&D is a case in point,there has to be a funding mechanism to get new projects off the ground,otherwise they will be stillborn.

20. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Forgive me for asking a brutal question, but why should a railway preservation scheme be entitled to funding to get off the ground. Much as you or I might like a scheme to happen, I fail to see why there should be an entitlement for my interest/hobby to be funded by taxes.

All of today’s preserved railways have grown from the efforts of their volunteers to fundraise, work, and sell tickets. Some of that fundraising has included public sector funding where schemes have been able to justify that investment, but in reflection of the value of the scheme to the funding bodies, and as a demonstration of the credibility of the scheme.

That there is no particularly conspicuous S&D based preserved railway on this most charismatic of lines may well be sad, but I don’t follow why that should imply that there needs to be a well of funds that proposers can draw on for our hobby in particular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk