If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Slacking Dimensions?

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by jonathonag, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I think the english equivalent is ± 1/64th. That said, it appears many engines have been restored illegally - perhaps they should be taken apart and corrected?

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I hope rough-shunter knows that Whitworth form screw threads are the threads for steam locos, even German locos. No metric threads anywhere.

3. RobHickerton

RobHickerton New Member

Engieering Consultant
    My Brother told a story from many years ago about a colleague of his who wanted a brick built coal bunker. As he was an aircraft draughtsman, he produced a beautiful drawing with appropriate tolerances, from memory +/- 1/8". When the brickie doing the job saw the drawing, he said "what's this plus or minus an eighth all about then?" to which the draughtsman replied by giving the brickie a short lecture on tolerancing. To which the brickie replied (quite correctly) " look mate this is a coal bunker, it's going to be plus or minus half a brick"

The tolerance must fit the job, a running tolerance is no good if the parts are supposed to stay fitted together.

Rob

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes. At Middleton we have a Danish loco and a Belgian loco and they are all good ol' BSW & BSP. Were any steam locos built with metric threads? If anybody, I guess the French might have! :roll:

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I think the english equivalent is ± 1/64th. That said, it appears many engines have been restored illegally - perhaps they should be taken apart and corrected?[/quote:38m8rjic]

My original post was very tongue-in-cheek! Caught a couple of fish, though! \:D/

6. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I was rather tempted to insinuate something about the past working practices of a certain East Midlands based locomotive works, but then thought better of it. :-#

7. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I dunno, it could come in handy when I drop a ricket at work! Sorry gaffer, I was using the wrong rule!

8. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    [/quote]
    since 1975 all mesurements on drawings should be metric this is a law as should all drawings conform to BS8888 so it isnot half an inch it is halp a millimeter[/quote]

Please advise under which piece of legislation this is stated. If true, I should have been locked up in jail a very long time ago!

9. boldford

boldford Member

10. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    I did have a drawing at work which specified at the bottom, "all dimensions in millimeters unless otherwise stated" then gave all the dimensions in inches!

11. So all apprentices currently training and students training to be engineers are now up the creek so to speak.

12. craiggluyas

craiggluyas Member

Industrialisation Engineer
    I'm 26, time served, served my first training year in 1997 on a Colchester Student with an Imperial Cross slide and metric Compond slide! Then spend 10 years working in imperial for a £30m turnover company producing valves and manways because they still supply to USA and basically didn't want to convert anything. Eventually went into design there.

Now designing for a road tanker manfacturer, and having to convert to metric (although i still see 0.1mm as 0.004" and use inches when i pick up a tape measure) where the tanks are built in teams and many details done to GA's, very similar to the locomotive shops of old!!!

Jud, it ain't illegal to work in imperial, wherever did you get that from!!!!

Craig

13. i got that from collage they only teach us metric all equipment we use is metric and the tutor we have allso said that and normally what dave says is the law.

14. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

gasp....sorry?

15. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    i got that from collage they only teach us metric all equipment we use is metric and the tutor we have allso said that and normally what dave says is the law.[/quote:3cbqoa4k]

Do you wanna go back to probation?

This post is not what I expected. I expect more from you, at least some effort. I am really dissapointed.

16. boldford

boldford Member

Have I been breaking the law today by using an imperial rule and vernier? I don't think so.

Is the NRM breaking the law supplying drawings with dimensions like 3" on them rather than redrafting them with 76.2mm? Again, I don't think so.

17. Pewsey Beaste

Pewsey Beaste Part of the furniture

Computery stuff
    Do you wanna go back to probation?

This post is not what I expected. I expect more from you, at least some effort. I am really dissapointed.[/quote:q897hhj9]

Similar.

This is not a pub - you should take time to post, not put down the first thing that falls out of your fingers.

18. Right i don't want threats or anything. I am only human i make mistakes as we all do my comments about the imperial system being illegal where wrong it is not illegal to use it.
    However i am a student and im being taught the metric system, whilst i have been at college i have never touched any imperial tooling. The stores do not have any along with being told that it isnt used any more so we dont use it i have learnt this is not the case i was wrong and im very sorry to those people whom i have caused grief to.

19. Live Steam

Live Steam Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Just to restore some hope for the nations engineering students, we do have imperial tooling at my college, and we use it regularly. No such thing as a 10mm radius gauge at brooklands, only 3/8.

20. Sugar Palm 60526

Sugar Palm 60526 Member

NYMR Driver, NELPG Member
    Timber sizes are even dafter. I bought a precut sheet of plywood the other day marked 606mm x 1220mm x 18.0mm. Actually it was 2ft x 4ft x 3/4in, which was what I wanted in the first place.