If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Shovel

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Louth, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Louth

Louth New Member

After the crazy price that a Lucas fetched on ebay last year here is a slightly different shovel for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=4130

Obviuosly NOT a Lucas, but I am intriuged to know what it is, and where these would have been used. Were they also available with a longer handle? I am sure I have seen a similar one with a longer handle.

2. Edward

Edward Member

3. andi

andi New Member

well i used to use one just like that before i got my lucas's...before a certain loco owner sent the prices rocketing (paid £25 for mine of ebay). i found it a nice shovel.....and deffo too good for shovellin dog turds up still have it and use it occasionally..not a bad buy off ebay...granted it's not a lucas but hey it's better that the carters spoons

4. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    They do use similar kind of shovels abroad Ed, particularly on the continent and America. The coal not being as large and all that so it can be shifted by the steam stoker. Could be off a ship or from a stationary bolier somewhere with the narrower flat opening. There again it could be just a shovel!

5. Edward

Edward Member

The whole country used to be steam powered, and there are a whole lot of tools about that prove it. The shed shop sold a load of forged firing shovels about 20 years ago that were of non - railway origin. I flogged one on ebay a few years back. Unfortunately, the winning bidder was a well known loco owner - hurried email exchange, and no cash or shovels changed hands.

The trouble is that people have seen that we will pay three figure sums for shovels, and they are trying it on. Be honest - if you are faced with 60007 up the Moors with 8 on, you need the proper tool to do the job with , and no messing about. Even more so with the K1, where you need a 3/4 length shovel. The proper tools command a premium. The answer is for someone to take an Eastern Lucas (anyone suggest a better shovel for general use?) to China, and get a price for a container full.

6. I am in talks with one of my suppliers about stocking fireing shovels from the 'old style range' of garden tools they are pressed but are of a reasonable quality

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Pressed blade firing shovels are in plentiful supply, of adequate quality and relatively cheap. If you're going to offer the same thing, I doubt that there is the market share available unless it is for a knock down price.

8. basher

basher Member

Musician
  9. underhound

underhound New Member

Sorry a bit late to this thread.I would like to purchase a lucas shovel does anyone know what i would expect topay?. thanks

10. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If ebay is anything to go by, then your looking in the region of 400 quid! #-o

But i got mine from a traction engine rally for about £35.

11. underhound

underhound New Member

Re: Shovel...christ

Thanks ra & fc thats some money for a idiot stick! thanks thou.

12. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    so my ebay shovel from Swindon that has had none or little use (there is still paint on the handel the blade is not marked)

That when wire brushing a bit of it I found GWR stamped on the end of the blade and the shaft

Is probarly the best £10.40 I ever spent

I am so reluctent to use it

Might save it for 6880

13. Edward

Edward Member

You've got to find one first.

As stated above, watch out for people trying to rip you off. Make sure you know what you are buying.

The cheapest way is to buy one that needs repairing. New shaft, welding up, etc. Shouldn't cost you more than 50 quid.

A complete one in decent, used condition should go for about £125 - 150. The £400 shovel was an exception!

14. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
    If the £400 shovel is the one I think it might be, then it is very nice to use! :-$