If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Should Broadway's Box have Plastic windows?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by davidarnold, Jan 24, 2014.

1. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm equally pleased to see the GWSR has chosen to do the right thing on this occasion. May I profer the advice it will be more important to select a wood that is of a durable species. Perhaps surprisingly to some; not all hardwoods are hard nor are all softwoods soft and durable species may be found within both groups.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11681.0 may be helpful.

2. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This argument reminds me of my previous life. Once upon a time I had to deal with an application for Listed Building Consent on a grade II building where the applicant wished to renew guttering in cast aluminium, painted black, in place of the original cast iron, painted black. Despite some whingeing from conservationists, I came down for the aluminium. Sometimes it makes sense to adopt modern materials; if one is too precious people will be wanting tungsten light bulbs instead of LEDs!

3. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The use of an alternative metal in that case is a compromise which all except the most evangelical would find acceptable. The only caveat would be to avoid a mix of aluminium in electrical contact with iron to minimise corrosion due to electrolytic action.
    That step was taken with the rooftop crestings at Kidderminster Town by using plastic "top-hat" washers between the plated steel fixings through the feet of the aluminium castings. Aluminium being used instead of iron to reduce the dead-load to satisfy the structural engineer's calcs.

Back on the Signal Box windows. Most would find the substitution of the original soft wood (probably Pitch Pine) which the GWR used with another timber acceptable.
    The point I may have failed to put across with my previous posting was the fact that some hardwoods are not very durable at all.
    I think we've all seen the mountainous claims of certain conservatory manufacturers that only use hardwood for the frames. I've seen some with significant decay in less than 10 years simply because the hardwood selected wasn't up to the job.
    On your last topic about lighting, here at the SVR (and elsewhere I believe), there is a gradual changing of coach lighting from incandescent to LED where it can be done inconspicuously. Again, a policy with which I have no problem.