If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Shed plate values

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Mandator, Feb 12, 2015.

1. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    There is, indeed. a thriving trade in fake Irish cast iron signs, mainly versions of Great Southern & Western Railway "5 line" gate notices and GS&WR "trespass" notices, but with various company initials, most of them inappropriate. Unfortunately, this has had a detrimental effect on the value of genuine items.
    I don't think that fakery is as much of a problem, at present, in the UK, but it was in the past and the results, obviously, are still around; you need to look very carefully at GWR trespass notices, Midland Rly. bridge notices and GNR/LNER door signs, for instance.

It's much worse in America, where there is a substantial cottage industry manufacturing fakes. Currently, on Ebay, you can purchase a very convincing crossing (RXR) sign, "authentically" weathered and complete with bullet holes!

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Surely it only becomes a problem if the vendor is trying to pass the plate off as the genuine article at or around the market price for such an item?

3. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

well, if I tell you they are on sale on stalls in sunday markets by persons who swear blind they are real, you can see the problem, probably picked them up whilst tarmacing an old station house drive....

flaman likes this.
  4. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

All fakes are a problem! Imagine how someone feels when they pick up an expensive item only to be told it's worthless. Some will cry "Buyer beware" or state "they should have done their homework" but even experts can be fooled.
    There have been fakes sold through Auction Houses in the past and if they can be fooled what hope the rest of us.
    One only has to look at the news last week regarding a court case, Re: a painting that a previous owner was told was by an apprentice painter only later down the line to be attributed to a master.
    Much of memorabilia is sold on trust. Just look at Ebay. If I mistrusted every vendor I would never buy anything.

flaman likes this.
  5. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

That does happen. However, it becomes a greater problem in years ahead, when the fake becomes indistinguishable from the genuine. (see "Mandator's post #7)

Reading General likes this.
  6. 60017

The only 100% sure way of not being caught is avoid anything thats advertised as the genuine article. I've bought replica plates (stamped as such), which are just as nice to look at IMO.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  7. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

True but it is nice to own something that you know has a history.

8. 60017

I agree completely and I also abhor those who peddle fakes as the real deal.

For years I wanted an LNWR block instrument and started looking around for one in 2013. I was out-bid on a couple that popped up on ebay. Then another appeared with a full description stating it was an LNWR pattern example made in the early BR years (BR stamp on the hinges). It was at an appropriate starting price and now it sits on the top stairs window sill looking great!

The seller went to great lengths not to misrepresent it as pre 1923 and that kind of dealing has to be applauded.

9. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Congratulations! But beware, block instruments can easily become an obsession. (That's exactly how I started!)

10. 60017

Hahaha...not likely unless one turns up for auction with proof it sat on the shelf in Lancaster N0.2 box. I'd not trust myself to bid within reason for it!