If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway,March 6, 7, 8, 2009 Festival of Steam

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 45002, Nov 7, 2008.

1. hassell_a

hassell_a Member

350 trains ran between Friday morning and Sunday evening at the Autumn Gala last Septemeber.

2. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    350 trains ran between Friday morning and Sunday evening at the Autumn Gala last Septemeber.[/quote:2vy14m0h]

Some siding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 37255

37255 Guest

I quite agree. Express locos with far too many cylinders aren't my thing, so I won't be going (as you say, for a good thrash behind a pannier or prarie there are the other 50 weekends of the year), but I bet had the SVR announced a gala using purely the home fleet plus a visiting pannier (or similar) many of the same people would've been whining about a lack of variety!

4. 50010 Monarch

50010 Monarch New Member

Dear oh dear some of you need to re read this thread and see what it looks like.
    Its not a competition you know, the NYMRs steam gala will probably be brilliant next year, as will the Severn Valleys.
    All this "we can do this, they cant do that" is ridiculous.

5. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well at least the WSR won't have this problem soon, with the Triangle when its completed and of course the operational Minehead turntable.

6. JBTEvans

Hey whats wrong with branchline locos - the SVR is a branch!

I'll have a 4575 over a King any day!

7. JBTEvans

Maybe but thats MY Opinion!!!

How can you say that? Who started all night running at galas in 1993?[/quote:36myq0cp]

All night running is a good idea but at the same time a rubbish one, but as long as it brings the money is, I guess there is nothing wrong with that.

8. JBTEvans

Well thats just saying the SVR is the best and shut all the others down and NO railway is the best.

9. JBTEvans

Yeah I went to the Summer Saturdays in the West Gala - and it was the best gala I have ever been on - come on the line up was superb, you couldn't beat it if you tried - it had branchline locos, freight locos and express locos with everything in between!

10. JBTEvans

That was a problem at the SVR ASG - some locos got to the end and ran around, it is nice to have a different loco on the return.

11. JBTEvans

5051 sat idle for the entire 2nd Saturday at Bishops Lydeard during the WSR spring gala last year springs to mind - a big shame IMHO, especially as it was its last year in traffic.[/quote:3s6yel0n]

What you on, drugs?

My mate seen it run!

12. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Well enough people seem to visit our galas year after year from around the globe, saying otherwise............

Each line and gala has their unique selling point. SVR September does more night running than anyone else and makes intensive use of the guest locos and most of the home fleet through the weekend.

The up-coming march gala will be a showcase of large locos that people can travel behind who don't want to go on a mainline trip.

If you don't like big engines then don't come- the recent Autumn gala saw a variety of smaller and I think more in-keeping locos, but if that similar line up was continually repeated it would go stale. I'm looking forward to the visit of the giants, it also gives preserved line crews the chance to have a go on these beasts- bring it on!

13. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Actually I've rarely seen a gala that saw such intensive use of locos. Even the designated night locos were out in the day and vice-versa. Funnily enough locos will stay with sets if intensively used- better that than getting to the end, detaching, standing for 5 hours while things are juggled round. Try changing trains.............

It seems that you are trying to turn this thread into a daft slanging match with no real evidence or reason to back up your posts.

14. 45002

45002 New Member

Hyperspace...............................
    Could a Moderator or Admin please lock this thread as its just turning into a slanging match

Thankyou

MARTIN
    ](*,)

15. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    What is it with this bloody fourm? everyone seems to be at each others throats arguing over matters which needn't be argued about, thing is many people base their comments on opinion "I don't think the SVR is very good all in all." to be honest that is an extremely selfish comment to make JBTEvans, yes everyone's entitled to their own opinion but that is just taking the Pi** on a grand scale. Its comments like that what give people a bad name, and to be honest, after you've said that you've put yourself in alot of peoples bad books.
    ...And then its the turn of the people on the opposite like ourselves who have to fight these comments, which in turn doesn't make us happy bunnies.
    Regarding the gala, if you don't like the fact that we're hosting what looks to be a good line up, don't bother coming, in fact don't even bother commenting about it, you're only trying to get a reaction, tell ya what, get a life!

To Be honest I'm really looking forward to it, lots of big engines to play with!

16. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Right Gents,

I'm not going to lock this thread, but can you please keep on topic, i.e next year's SVR Spring gala - info on or discussion about is welcome, but if the thread continues on a "this railway's gala is better than the SVR", or similar theme , the thread will be edited / locked.

Thanks

17. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Josh, what are you on?!?! Was there any need for that many posts, critising just about everything.

Some of your statements are complete rubbish. It is a FACT that 5051 was laid up all the second sunday, I was there and was dissapointed not to see it run. Same with 34007 on the saturday. WSR received critism on here over that from a number of posters.

SVR had one of the most intensive t/t possible in Septmeber. FACT. As David Ward pointed out, when you swap locos over that means locos start sitting around. If you can't be bothered to move around why should you get to travel behind all the locos?

Seeing as this was aimed at me, obviously you haven't looked at my Pics / Videos for otherwise you will have seen I have attended WSR events.

Even though I enjoyed the Holidays in West event I did criticise the early finish of the t/t, as I was helping on the 6880 stand and so was not able to ride the trains much during the day. That is why I enjoyed events such as Swanage 40th Anniversay SR Steam and SVR Autumn gala. Trains run later and so I can do what I want during the day then relax in the evening.

This comes back to my original post. Everybody has their own opinions. If you don't like it tough, you can't make someone think the same as you. The SVR is going to put on a big event with big locos next March. If its the sort of thing your interested then I hope you visit as the SVR do deserve some good fortune after all the hard work they have put in over the past couple of years. If it doesn't interest you well that's your choice, no matter what you say they wont be changing the event.

18. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Its threads like this that show what an insular lot a number of railway enthusiasts are.

We will all have our affinities for particular lines, whether it be through working on them, being regular visitors, admiration for the motive power/rolling stock fleets or whatever. But is it really that difficult to sit back and say that the Severn Valley has, for many years, put on hugely impressive galas, with timetables that are a work of art in themselves, slick operation and suchlike? And is it really that difficult to accept that the announcements so far indicate a 'glamour' gala that will allow more people to get up close to, or hauled by, some of the larger locos that they may not otherwise get a chance to (after all, how many people can afford the prices for a railtour hauled by one of the visitors, let alone travel behind each of them in turn)?

The theme of a particular gala such as this one may not interest you in the slightest. But is that any justification for belittling the efforts of a railway?

Personally, while from a footplate point of view I prefer to be on smaller locos, I may well pay my first visit to the SVR for a number of years for this particular gala. Not through any massive enthusiasm for the larger locos, but simply because the railway are sticking their necks out for this event, and deserve great credit for that rather than resting on their laurels.

19. Jordan_BDY_MPD

Jordan_BDY_MPD New Member

Im sorry JBTevans but if you dont like the SVR dont go! and if you dont like it, why are you commenting on whats going to happen on the gala?? if you hate it that much why care bout whats going on?, all lines have there ups and downs! yes the SVR was a GWR branch, but now its a preserved railway, just like every steam railway in the country!! why do people argue what has to go on this line and what has to go on that line? we are all here to enjoy and help steam preservation movement! so in my opinion does it mater if the wrong locos on the wrong line, all engines are preserved running on preserved lines!! if im honest mainline doesnt really interest me! it is alot of money to rise behind one loco, and being thrashed around all day, thats not how it would have been done! yes seeing a express loco on a branchline is weird, but thats what makes it good! ALL preserved lines are in this together, we are all working for the same thing to preserve locos!! so why are we fighting?!? i think the gala will be cracking like most galas at most railways are!!
    But i suppose im biast seen as i work on the SVR! but they are certanly one of the leading preserved railways!

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Think there may be a bit of trolling going on in this thread now, seems to be quite a few less than familiar names with low post counts suddenly popped up...