If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway Autumn Steam Gala 21st-24th September 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, May 14, 2017.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

For all those complaining at the cost of the WTT. The loco allocations are always displayed on posters free of charge for everyone to see at Hampton Loade all weekend. Always have been for as long as I have visited SVR galas (since 1993 if you must know!).
    If you need the loco allocations in advance there is a charge which has been £5 as has been stated for a number of years. This is aimed at photographers as well as travellers (who don't always travel) and gives every movement. Tbh I think this is good value for what you get.
    Or, you can attend like me and spend the first couple of hours trying to work out what is working which train and inevitably getting it wrong - adds to the fun really!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It's an annual moan tbh. The WTT has been on sale for many years now and even after all this time they continue to sell well so why would the railway wish to change that?

The suggestion of an online version has been made before, it would save paper and printing costs. Be interesting to see what people were prepared to pay for an online version as if the fee is right, the profit could outweigh the increased costs of a smaller print run.

3. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

I don't have any particular problem with paying £5 for the WTT, but I'm still not entirely sure why the same practice isn't followed in the spring! Other than "the autumn gala's a bit bigger" I can't think of a reason why this should be.

JBTEvans likes this.
  4. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The simple answer to these used follows.....
    There isn't a wwt light because it is cheaper for the railway to do one print run on the WTT for staff and public than two separate ones, so a WTT light would mean paying the same for less, weather you want the extra info or not (And the number of people asking "where is this going now?" Suggests that people do) this would make little sense.
    The reason the cost hasn't been the same for the spring the last couple of years is because the info hasn't been available until very late. Charging people for a WTT that contains little extra info to the public time table other than the shunt moves, I suspect, would be bad

5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    As a photographer I've always thought five quid is a bargain to be able to plan the day and when to shift locations, there is always a time in the middle of the day when everything is is tender first. I just can't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

JBTEvans likes this.
  6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I can't understand why any real enthusiast would object to parting with a fiver To get full information on the weekend's workings and put a little bit of money into the railway as well.

JBTEvans likes this.
  7. Phil Noyce

Phil Noyce New Member

An excellent weekend, great to have the Autumn Steam Gala back where it belongs. Thank you SVR. A few of my photographs from the event; IMG_20170922_140031379_HDR.jpg IMG_20170922_122259642_HDR.jpg IMG_20170923_150528101.jpg IMG_20170924_094547145_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Copper-capped, Adam-Box and 84H like this.
  8. Phil Noyce

Phil Noyce New Member

And two locos in the Engine House at Highley during the Gala that I would love to see running again in the future (time, funds and how much work is needed permitting, of course); IMG_20170924_104004130.jpg IMG_20170924_103747757.jpg

84H likes this.
  9. olly5764

Engineer
    I don't think the original post was objecting (I certainly didn't read it that way) I think it was a sensible question, hence me and others attempting a sensible answer.

10. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    You'd then get the same people moaning about having to pay for an online version on the basis that it cost the railway nothing to produce it.

JBTEvans likes this.
  11. Pete Thornhill

That's a pessimistic view, the selling cost would be lower so in theory it should cut down on the moaners although I'd agree there will always be some.

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't - the reduced hard copy run (and resulting increased unit cost for hard copy) would still be required as staff cannot feasibly use an online version so the saving is not there.

JBTEvans likes this.
  13. Pete Thornhill

If you read my previous post you will see what I said was lower costs of an online version could be more profitable than paper only version, the increased margin could be partly used to cover the increased costs of the print run which I acknowledge would still be required. It's only a possibility which depends ultimately on how much people would be willing pay. Only when you know that and the current margins can you be certain one way or the other.

14. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    It ain't broke anyway, so why fix it?

15. penny steam

penny steam New Member

First of of our film from the gala, we start in the early hours of the morning.

16. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
  17. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    My only complaint about the WTT is mine never showed up in the post! Though I will blame Royal Mail for that rather than the railway, indeed when I explained to the ticket office at Kiddy the nice chap there provided me with one.

I went for the full experience this ASG - arrived at the railway Friday afternoon and stayed until Sunday afternoon - travelling Saturday & Sunday. Failed to get any sleep on the night trains, not because of the other passengers I should say but more because I'm a fussy sleeper, same thing happened when I last travelled overnight in 2015. Got a few hours napping in the car, but I was pretty exhausted by the time I got home Sunday. Nevertheless, the show on offer kept me going - 12 locos in steam over the weekend isn't bad going...
    A good line up of visitors, particularly Repton and 564 which both look superb. Being from East Anglia it was fun to see a GER loco drawing the crowds in GWR territory.

An album of photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/djcs_trains/albums/72157687181840094

[​IMG]
    4am at Kiddy

[​IMG]
    Erlestoke on the Sunday morning run, as discussed earlier in this thread @jtx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jtx, banburysaint, JBTEvans and 10 others like this.
  18. olly5764

Engineer
    Should have gone to the beer van at Bewdley. A few bottles of 2857 and anyone will sleep well. Lol

JBTEvans likes this.
  19. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Three of the buggers...Clearly 14XXs are a bit of a handful!;) Joking.

20. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Meisterschosse. Dave. Shame mine was in black and white. Makes me feel so old...:)