If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway Autumn Gala: 15 - 18/09/22

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by pete12000, Aug 1, 2022.

1. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Same happened to me at the Spring gala. No problem buying a walk up Rover at Kidderminster.
    At least I hope there won't be as I'm doing the same!

2. Lord Belborough

Lord Belborough New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks - I didn't notice that. Got a reply via email that I can buy on the day at the ticket office which is good as didn't want to drive 120 miles to find out it was sold out!

3. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

Announced 75069 is to work 4930s trains for the rest of the gala

4. cg

cg Well-Known Member

SVR Facebook - Hagley Hall withdrawn, replaced by 75069 consequence of 3 more fires today.

5. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Apparently it was a firebar issue with 2857, hence it being easily resolved once the loco had cooled.

6. City_Steam

City_Steam New Member

A few from either side of riding. Seemed quieter than usual, excepting Hagley's middle of the day runs. The Flying Pig on the 3 coach LMS local looked great.

20220916_201316.jpg

20220916_202001.jpg

20220916_202248.jpg

20220916_202314.jpg

20220916_202340.jpg

20220916_202422.jpg

20220916_202404.jpg

Crawley Ben, Spike, 3ABescot and 8 others like this.
  7. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Lovely weather Friday but the whole day seemed very subdued compared to other years

Breakfast service was available to walk ons, as was pie & mash, I would have expected these to.be sold out

Hagley seemed to nursed along, probably sensing something not quite right hence withdrawal from today

Trains were very quiet, seating (sometimes lots of it) available on all services I saw, the evening trains were very lightly loaded compared to previous years. Even onlookers at the stations & lineside were lower in numbers.

It wasnt the weather so maybe the economic reality is hitting, possibly the WSR made a good call in canning their gala.

These arent moans just observations as I thoroughly enjoyed my day, the 3 visitors were all excellent performers, and the brake van ride behind Jessie is wonderful.

Finally, the next time some nimby local decides to block the line due to his 4x4 "breaking down" the spirt of Titfield needs to be rekindled, I know who I would back in a duel between a 28xx vs and a 4x4

8. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

• Impressions from the first 2 days, visted all stations on at least one day Except Bridgnorth.

• Freight train, excellent! Shortish to fit one siding at Arley. Mostly open wooden wagons, brake at one end, shunted to the other when reversing at Arley, Highley and Kidderminster. Can be viewed from platform or yard at Arley.

• Catering. All facilities seemed to be open. Upstairs at Highley engine house better choice than recently. The Arley Weighouse opened mid morning. Bewdley cafe opened very early but closed early but leaving a little open stand with of beverages.

• Plenty of sales stands at Kidderminster and Hampton Loade and one at Arley. Low prices.
      Kidderminster Museum had plenty of books plus the nice cake and tea counter and the excellent Railart exhibition upstairs.
    • Trains and platforms seldom very busy but rarely embarassingly empty (I was there first thing to tea time both days). Custom more evenly spread than usual.
    • Enjoy!
    Just my experience...

Haighie and MattA like this.
  9. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I’m sure the breakfast service has always been available to walk ons.

10. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The old Venturer offering was walk on only. This years service was the first with pre booking.

11. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Didn’t know that Pete.

12. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Yes breakfast in previous years was walk on only, but there was always queue and it was full, plenty of empty seats available yesterday

13. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It was indeed having stood in the queue many times. It was also cheaper and offered more food and drink than this year.

14. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Just to pick up on a couple of points...

There's no issue with Hagley, other than it's started 3 lineside fires over the gala so far. This is the reason it's been withdrawn, not any mechanical problem.

I'm personally very pleased that no test of the durability of the front end of the 28 took place. Overhauls are quite expensive enough as it is thanks! Talking of which, the 2857 society stand will be at Kidderminster station for the remainder of the gala weekend!

15. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Agree with comments that was quiet yesterday, certainly compared to the spring gala. Preferable from a passenger point of view not to have to deal with packed stations and trains, maybe not so good for the railway.

I was onboard that train, the crew seemed to handle the situation well and he moved after 10 minutes. I believe the police were called but don't know if any more action was taken.

MattA likes this.
  16. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  17. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday, SVR at its best. Interesting timetable, variety of locomotives, something for everyone.
    Shame about 4930, she looked fantastic, but was being worked carefully - despite this there was a fireworks display through Bewdley tunnel.
    1501 was also producing quite a few embers on its run to Bridgnorth - is this lot of coal particularly prone to sparks?

Just a note on crowds, all the trains seemed well filled but not overflowing - this made for a comfortable travelling experience, however I wouldn't describe it as very quiet. In previous years often people flock to the trains hauled by 'celebrity visitor' trains with shoulder services quieter - were people distributed better? It took a while for people to arrive too, afternoon was noticeably busier than morning.
    I have no doubt this gala was not as busy as Spring, but that was exceptional. Having 60007 was definitely a crowd puller and lots of people were glad to be out and about again. I believe April's attendance suprised even the SVR. I suspect like us all, people are being more careful how they spend.

MattA likes this.
  18. zigzag

zigzag New Member

My Titfield comment was tongue in cheek and I agree the crew handled things very well indeed, a credit to their professionalism

David likes trains likes this.
  19. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

Here's my footage of the gala yesterday. The highlights were the late afternoon runs up Eardington Bank with the Purple Bulleid, Jessie, and Hagley Hall filmed in the beautiful evening sun as well as the Black Five and the GWR Mogul 9351 sounding their echoes through the Highley Woods. I hope you enjoy the video.

20. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I enjoyed this, great selection of shots - captured the essence of the day well.
    Thanks for sharing.