If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway 2019 Spring Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by michaelh, Nov 4, 2018.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

From latest SVR news, work will take place between Christmas 2019 and March 2020, the line will be severed during this period while a new waterproof membrane is fitted. Further work will be required in Autumn 2020 to repair brickwork, but trains should be able to run.

lil Bear and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From the shareholder's letter delivered today: ''The restoration of the project will begin towards the end of December this year, once Santa services have finished. Contractors will remove the track, ballast and sandstone rubble from the viaduct. They will then install efficient drainage channels and add a modern waterproof membrane before putting everything back together. Once the structure has properly dried out, damaged bricks will be placed and the mortar repointed. We anticipate completion by autumn 2020.'' <BJ>
    https://www.svrtrust.org.uk/shopping.php

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    lil Bear and Bluenosejohn like this.
  3. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Though I gather there are contingency plans for if the work takes longer.

4. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

I have to admit to being a little surprised by this comment. Both the timetable and the loco directions were known in advance and pretty much everything ran according to plan (other than as a result of operational problems). What happened on the day to disappoint you? Surely you didn't turn up with the intention of being disappointed?

In terms of whether the thoughts of photographers into such matters are taken into account, what was the response of the railway when you raised it with them?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I did not attend to be disappointed but - given the effort made to attend the event - I was seeking to maximise my photographic opportunities at different locations on the line.

I have not raised the point with SVR as I appreciate the time and effort taken to organise Galas and I was able to get sufficient photographs albeit helped by an early start from home that saw me arrive at Kidderminster in time to see the first departures and associated stock movements. My "concern" was made in support of other comments concerning the timetable as I would have liked to have taken more photographs of the event - but at different locations. Whilst I was able to visit 4 locations during the day I would have liked to visit a further couple had the locomotives been facing "the right way" for their particular workings but that may be me being a little greedy - or simply seeking to make the most of my visit given the effort I had had to make to attend.

My response was a personal one; I was happy with the photographs I took but I would have liked to spend more time at the lineside had the locomotives been facing the "right way" hence my comment. I also accept that the gala organisers have better things to do than plan every move to satisfy a phalanx of photographers who are constantly told they "take all and give nowt" hence my unwillingness to complain but accept the situation as it is - and make the most of what opportunities are on offer.

6. free2grice

If locos are not turned during a gala there is a pretty good chance that when photographing steam trains your success rate will be 50%.

You should have forwarded your thoughts of disappointment to a member of staff when you called in to make your donation. ;) <BJ>

7. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

I spent Friday on the trains and Saturday by the lineside, agree that it felt like there were more locos in use than were actually required and hence some of them didn't seem to do much. Particularly 5619 and 1054 did not have a huge role in the timetable, compared to visiting engines in the previous few years I've visited. Granted the Coal Tank will be limited load-wise (not sure about the 56xx?), and given the length and nature of the line any 1 loco can only do 2 full round trips max during a day. Also granted that as the SVR is a local line for me, I am more interested in the visitors than maybe others who have come from further afield. With 1501 that was obviously meant to be 1450 on that allocation, so would have been a proper auto train if the latter had been available as planned.
    Still an event not to be missed for me, good to have a small engine/branchline event after the two big engines galas last year. Big plus was 2857 on the goods, always a wonderful sight.

8. 84H

84H New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Had another great time at the SVR on Sunday. Thanks very much to everyone involved with the gala. Hope you enjoy the photos

75069 at Bewdley 866A0827-9133-4F7E-AEE3-4CA4934CD089.jpeg 5619 being prepared at Bridgnorth C8B4C114-DA0A-4908-9936-CC439BC90FDD.jpeg 6430 in the bay at Arley C3A78F9E-1145-4838-9F10-51E873C19A7F.jpeg 6430’s fire iron had seen a bit of use AE0E94A8-5493-4C3D-BE8E-9361BF4A252A.jpeg finally at Highley. Gala, what gala!? D1C7821C-6E47-4E16-AD3C-1623849940A6.jpeg

9. wazza588

wazza588 Member

A 450 mile round trip to what is a superb railway!! Only wish it was a little closer for me! The line-side is immaculate, which makes photography a whole load easier and enjoyable.
    Because of the weather and my decision I missed seeing freight operations since I only attended on Sunday but that was my choice to stay away before the sun put in an appearance so i can't complain about missing it. I've been to events where the timetable is fuller but all trains ran to time so my thanks goes to all involved in staging the event and caring for the railway.

A few photographs are now on my flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/65931014@N05/

_DSC1778.jpg

_DSC1814.JPG

_DSC1842.JPG

Richard

10. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

Went on the Sunday as I thought, and was actually very happy. The lack of evening trains isn't a problem on Sun as I don't expect them then. Timetable seemed very well kept - a 10 min delay late on was the longest I encountered all day. Some very enjoyable runs - the large prairie over Eardington put a smile on a lot of faces I expect. What I'd call pleasantly busy, without the crowding apparently encountered on Sat but always feeling like an event. Can anyone tell me why Bradley Manor had a "6" showing on the front next to the memorial wreath?

Having a limited "gala menu" at the Engine House was a good idea and kept queues moving. Food was acceptable, though would have liked real plates not paper ones. Didn't get to the new Bridgnorth cafe but was told that yesterday food was tasty and service was friendly but a bit slow. Also enjoyed the new layout at the EH. Obviously a lot of thought went into that and it shows. Typhoon is a very nice addition. Stations looking beautiful as usual and nice warm fires in the waiting rooms were very welcome on a cold and occasionally wet day!

Staff generally outstanding as usual and a credit to the railway. Slightly odd that I had no ticket checks until 5pm and then two in a row, but that's just luck I suppose. One small point. Won't say where or when or who to spare any problems, but staff and volunteers probably could bear in mind their "private" conversations can carry a very long way in evening quiet! One person getting a bit animated about something and let a couple of F words out, not ideal with families still around.

Overall a very good gala and I am pleased I chose to go. I will definitely think about going on a Sunday again. It was a more comfortable experience than Saturday with less need to stand and a generally more relaxed atmosphere. For Fri+Sat I'd still like to see a later finish, even bearing in mind the points made by others about this. Maybe 2017's 11pm is overdoing it, but 8-9pm would feel right for an SVR gala. Though that won't be an issue in September of course!!
    Will there be a service north of Bewdley during that period, or will the line be closed completely? Thinking about the Feb half term mostly.

11. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Why ? I accept that a Gala is a combination of elements which mean that some will be to my taste whilst others will be a disappointment; just because I am disappointed does not mean that I should "complain" to the SVR. I was happy to visit and make the most of what was on offer whilst accepting that the effort to achieve that success by the organisers means that some would be disappointed. My disappointment is personal and I see no need to burden the Gala organisers with something that they have little control over in the greater scheme of things.

I only mentioned my disappointment to support the view of an earlier poster that things could have been different; the posting was not to criticise the event organisers.

13. free2grice

It's good to hear that someone appreciated the efforts of the Severn Valley Railway. <BJ>

14. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

I'm all in favour of run tender/bunker first B-K,turn loco and tender/bunker first back to Bridgnorth.the exhaust is louder in the front coach as chimney is closer to the stock..

Robert Heath No.6 and 5944 like this.
  15. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    6th year in a row visiting and definitely my favourite gala of the year, everything about the line is just right! Video from the Sunday, photos to follow...

16. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group