If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley ASG 20th-22nd September 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Andy2857, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Currently towards Kiddy (south) and the SVR website doesn't say it's changing.

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    South.

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes you can, either park in Gould Avenue and walk down through the woods, or in the car park off the A456 south of Bewdley. Agree with you about there being northbound locations than southbound, at least for non-lineside pass holders.

4. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Cheers :)

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    From the SVR website. <BJ>

Visiting Locomotives:
    • Met Tank No. 1 and carriage No.353 have arrived (FS).
    • No. 4936 'Kinlet Hall' has now arrived (FN).
    • No. 46233 'Duchess of Sutherland' will arrive shortly (FS).
    • No. 925 'Cheltenham' has now arrived (FN).
    Home Fleet Locomotives:
    • No. 2857 (FN).
    • No. 5164 (FS).
    • No. 5643 (FN).
    • No. 7812 'Erlestoke Manor' (FS).
    • No. 34053 'Sir Keith Park' (FS).
    • No. 43106 (FS).
    FS denotes facing south (towards Kidderminster).
    FN denotes facing north (towards Bridgnorth).
    VS denotes will change during the Gala.

6. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    No 4566?
    Does the lack of any locos being VS suggest that nothing is being turned?

7. Chunky

Chunky New Member

No 1501?

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Quoted as being "Standby" loco

9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes 1501 is standby but it wouldn't surprise me if it made an appearence at some point, every year the standby seems to end up doing something during the weekend ;)

10. sche

sche New Member

The Duchess just left Crewe HC.

11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Bushbury Jct. 20 mins early. Don't miss it! <BJ>

12. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
  13. 84A

84A New Member

Hmm, I shall have to try this one out! Looking at google maps seems to suggest that the path runs over the tunnel onto the other side of the track. Is it possible to photograph from the spot that you have (with the T9) from a 'public' spot, i.e. without a hi-vis?

14. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

Yes, park on the car park just outside Bewdley on the A456 then cross the road and follow the public footpath opposite until it passes under the railway bridge (the actual SVR one, carry on along the path after going under the disused r'way bridge!). Alternatively park at Kidderminster and follow the footpath over the hill. If going over the hill the path brings you out on the nature reserve side of the line, follow the edge of the reserve alongside the line until you reach the bridge under the railway and the footpath you'd have followed from the Bewdley car park.

To get the photo posted earlier you need to trespass on the farmer's field containing the airstrip as there's no public right of way across it. You cross the line by following the footpath under the bridge. For some reason trainspotters seem to frown on trespassing on preserved railway property without permission, but trespassing on farmer's fields without permission is viewed as acceptable. At a gala you'll probably find crowds of people in that area along the footpath, in field, and on the railway.

15. Aldaniti

Aldaniti New Member

I tend to visit both diesel and steam galas. I'm free tomorrow and was going to attend this event (mainly to see and ride behind SKP) until I found out that the SVR won't tell me what SKP is working, unless I pay extra or turn up and hope the info is on a chalkboard somewhere. All I want to know is what loco's are on the trains tomorrow, seems like a strange way of trying to attract customers to me. Thing is, there's plenty of railways that see sense, so ill be off elsewhere tomorrow.

16. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Rather than go elsewhere why not simply turn up and enjoy the experience of surprise at finding out that it is actually working ?

But if you want a little certainty I think that SKP is booked on 08:48 KD - BH; 10:36 BH - KD; 13:06 KD - BH; 15:00 BH-KD; 17:30 KD - BH; 19:28 BH - KD; 21:23 KD - BH and then to shed; the loco is reported to be facing Kidder but turntable moves have not been advised so it may NOT stay that way.

17. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Just to remind everyone

Feeling peckish - Kidderminster
    Kidderminster Railway Museum - open day and night during the gala. Enjoy the splendid relaxed atmosphere of the Kidderminster Railway Museum which will be serving both hot and cold drinks & tasty snacks throughout. Just the job for those long night time layovers at Kidderminster.

Museum open Friday 20/9 from 10am continuously until 19.00 Sunday 22/9.

18. 84A

84A New Member

Thank you for the information. That was what I was worried about to be honest - I plan to ride, and then take photographs for one day each, so was going to walk from Bewdley as you suggested. However, I don't wish to trespass on private property even if others are there, and so i'll probably leave it for this gala and try walking the route another day to see whats actually available.

Thanks for these! I'm hoping to ride behind SKP at some point, so that morning departure from BH tomorrow looks like it could work well.

In other (breaking) news from sharpo on SVR Online, there seems to be a fair amount of train swapping taking place.

19. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I've been reading on Facebook (from a number of people at the SVR gala) that 46233 has failed. Not sure what is wrong with it, but I hope it's a quick fix.

James at SVN

20. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

It's a fair walk from Bewdley station, but still worth going down there. If you follow the footpath from the A456 then there is another well known photo location at NGR: SO 8032 7445 where the footpath deviates away from the farm access track. (and where you'd cut across into the field if you were heading that way). This is the view across a field towards the safari park, framed by a large tree in the foreground. Carry on along the footpath and there are views looking up at the track as it curves towards you (Ok, not that photogenic). Also from the footpath are other views across the fields which have the railway more in the landscape. If you cross under the railway into the nature reserve then in the late afternoon/evening there are opportunities for silhouettes and sunsets. If you're on the footpath over the hill then it crosses the railway just a short way up from the tunnel entrance - from around this area it's possible to get head-on views of the train (although you'll be more on the shadow side and shooting more towards the light - so really you be hoping for big impressive backlit exhaust)

Whilst the principle of trespassing on farmer's fields without permission might be uncomfortable, in that particular location the farm house almost overlooks the field - so I find it hard to believe the land owner isn't aware that it takes place on a very regular basis. There's no hint of any signs or anything else to indicate they aren't prepared to at least tolerate the situation.