If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sentinel works no 6807 Gervase

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 45669, Jan 7, 2008.

Re: Kent and East Sussex 'GERVAISE'.

http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/BIS-Gervase2-RH-280560.jpg

just rumbled over that whilst looking for dirty photos of industrials =P~ =P~

1. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

I have now moved the pictures of Gervase to a dedicated site, and pictures of the restoration will go up on the new site from now.

The new site is at: http://jedwards.fotopic.net/

2. Fireline

I have had further info from the new owner. The old frame stretcher, besides being cracked through at both ends, was actually not strong enough to keep the frames straight. New frame stretchers have been cut, including channel stretchers. These wil be fitted under the boiler, between the axles, and under the engine.

Also, a new driven front axle has been cast, and a replacement sprocket obtained. This will be combined in the near future. The wheels have been fully prepped for the arrival of new tyres (hopefully within the next fortnight).

The pics for the latest progress are available at: http://jedwards.fotopic.net/p53815663.html

3. Re: Kent and East Sussex 'GERVAISE'.

new owner heres me thinking it was a benifactor

4. Fireline

Bit of both.... :smt023

5. Re: Kent and East Sussex 'GERVAISE'.

Ahh well perhaps he could try his hand at our crane tank thats in dire need of some TlC

6. Fireline

Another day, another update! The restoration continues apace....

The last of the new tyres has been machined, and they will be fitted to the wheels in the next few days. The brand new front axle has now been machined to accept the drive cog. Next week the chassis will be erected with the new frame stretchers. There are also new buffer beams to be fitted. Work is also being undertaken to machine bits to refurbish the vale assembly on one of the manifolds.

There are new pics on the dedicated site, starting at.. http://jedwards.fotopic.net/p54428325.html

7. CALIFORNIA WORKS

CALIFORNIA WORKS New Member

So what is the issue here then?..owner?.. benefactor?-as long as the loco is being catered for and restored-what's the problem?

By the way Firestarter-just completed a bunker drawing based on Marcia's-sending it to the ownerfactor shortly. 8)

8. Re: Kent and East Sussex 'GERVAISE'.

Being referd to as a benifactor then changing to owner is a big step in direction i will say i do look forward to seeing this fine beast take a train one day

9. Fireline

I hope to have a picture update in the very near future, which MAY include the newly erected and strengthened frames. However, Fotopic are giving me grief at the minute, and the address for the gallery may change. I will keep this updated to let people know what's going on!

10. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I think it is fair to describe the new owner as a 'benefactor' since the previous owner had left the loco for so long he had actually forgotten that he owned it, believing it belonged to somebody else (see Fireline's earlier posts) who also denied ownership. The new owner has certainly rescued it from this limbo and has quickly shown his commitment by carrying out all the work Fireline has reported. I believe ownership by a committed individual, or very small group, is the only hope for a loco like this since it would never be a priority for a railway needing more useful motive power for passenger trains.

One of the railway mags recently reported the rescue of Gervase, suggesting it was more likely to go to the Elsecar Railway (where the owner has another Sentinel) than returning to the KESR. For sentimental reasons I'd love to see it back at the KESR, I remember it at Northiam in the 1970s when it was still complete, but accept it might be more likely to find a useful role at Elsecar. Wherever it goes I look forward to seeing the finished job!

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Cast? Thats a bit unusual isn't it?

12. Fireline

Those with an engineering background will of course know that I meant "forged", (or created, made, whichever). My engineering knowledge stops at "trains go chuff"....

13. Fireline

Then I am afraid to say that one of the railway mags reported it wrong! That is certainly not the intention.... [-X

14. Re: Kent and East Sussex 'GERVAISE'.

Indeed it would be forged would there be any chance of the details of whom undertook the forgeing processes ? as since heskeths in bury has closed there isnt may places that can do things like this .

the alternative to forgeing is to fabricate the crank axel but this has issues relieing on strength and lack of it

15. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Glad to hear it - sorry Fireline to have repeated something inaccurate! If I could remember which mag it was I would let you know - I just flicked through them all one day in Smiths and this report caught my eye.

16. Fireline

No problem at all! I believe I spoke to the benefactor having seen a similarly inaccurate report at one stage. His reply was that he wished the reporter had spoken to him, as someone else had, rather than just guessing! Of course, not knowing which mag it was, I can't say whether it was the same piece.

As a postscript to this, I have sorted out my problems with Fotopic. Amazingly, all it took was some money.. funny that.... The collection is available again at http://jedwards.fotopic.net/

17. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

A crank axle on a chain driven loco?

18. Fireline

A crank axle on a chain driven loco?[/quote:3nugc3d8]

Well, sort of. The bottom end of the engine attaches via a chain to a cog on the leading axle. The two axles are connected via con rods. This is a Sentinel Hybrid, as they had to cobble it from what they started with. Later chain drive engines did not have con rods, and often had the trailing axle driven by a second chain from the leading axle.

The technical drawing for how Gervase should end up is now available at http://jedwards.fotopic.net/p54613145.html

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays

Apart from the fact that Gervaise never had a crank axle, can you please enlarge on your statement about lack of strength? I'm concerned that there are a lot of locos out there with built up crank axles! #-o