If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Seaham Harbour

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Rlangham, May 17, 2014.

1. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Thought these may be of interest - evidence of the railways at Seaham Harbour, which I first visited a few weeks ago. A wonderful place that I look forward to returning to and exploring more... what I would have given to visit back in the day of paddle tugs, vertical boiler locomotives, No 18 and chaldron wagons aplenty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the old Lifeboat House is the 'George Elmy', a Liverpool Class RNLI Lifeboat. In 1962, it left Seaham on a rescue to local fishermen in distress. Tragically, after saving the crew, before it entered the harbour it capsized. The Liverpool Class was not one of the self-righting types of Lifeboat, and all the crew drowned, and all but one of those rescued drowned also. The 'George Elmy' was found washed up, upside down, on a local beach the next day. It was refurbished, put back into service, and eventually retired and became a fishing boat, like many old Lifeboats. It was restored and returned to Seaham last year, re-entering Seaham Harbour under its own power, returning home since leaving that night in 1962. It is now in the Lifeboat House, home to the East Durham Heritage Centre, as a very fitting memorial to the brave men of Seaham Lifeboat. The centre also has displays and photographs relating to the railways in the area

[​IMG]

Martin Perry likes this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

what a tragedy. True heroes . Thanks for sharing that

3. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Martin Perry likes this.