If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SDSR Stanthorpe - Wallangarra 18.3.18

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Copper-capped, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Here is my offering from Sunday's tour run by Southern Downs Steam Railway. We caught the train at Stanthorpe, halfway through its journey from Warwick to the end of the line at Wallangarra on Queensland Rail's 3'6" 'Southern line' and back again.

Ready to depart from Stanthorpe station.
    image.jpeg

Steam haulage was thanks to their excellent C17 class 4-8-0 loco, #971. It really is a splendid machine that is just on 10 years restored, complete with new boiler. Although hardly taxed, I was impressed by her smooth and surprising acceleration from one unscheduled stop.

#971 at Wallangarra Station.
    image.jpeg

The wooden carriages are ex QR stock from the 'Kurada Scenic Railway' and as such are light and airy with excellent viewing and convivial seating arrangements. Riding on the open gantry ways was also permitted.

The interior of BLH820.
    image.jpeg

Wallangarra station itself is a fascinating place for railway buffs. Being that it used to be the end of the line for QR's "narrow gauge", and the start of NSWGR's "standard gauge". Its must have been quite a place in its heyday, however the NSWGR line is now defunct and QR only maintains it's line thanks to a mysteriously quiet military base just outside the town, (or so I am led to believe....shhhh!). The line sees very little use - in fact, #971 probably does nearly all of the railhead polishing! The picture below shows the main station platform and building with QR (3'6") on the left, and NSWGR (4'81/2") on the right. The loco has run around and has gone to the triangle for turning.

Wallangarra Station
    image.jpeg

It may not be Ribblehead, but here we are crossing 'Devil's elbow'.
    image.jpeg

I must add a big thank you to all the volunteers from SDSR who put on a great show and could not have been more friendly and helpful. A top day out. :)

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks like a great day.

Copper-capped likes this.
  3. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Thanks Ross - lovely to see some Queensland steam on here. Would love to do the trip to Wallangerra some day.

I fell in love with Queensland steam when I visited Ipswich in May 1971 by which time it was virtually all over. Three locos in steam that day - "Pompy" the works pilot and two C17s on steam cleaning duties. Here is 934 retiring to the roundhouse its duties for the day over:- 71-5-5 14.10     C17 934.jpg

Hopefully 934 will live again when/if the Zig Zag Railway resumes operating.

Do please post more pictures next time you go on a steam trip

Peter

Copper-capped likes this.
  4. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Peter. Your pic reminded me that I did not put up a link to SDSR, as the roundhouse construction is very similar to the one they have partially rebuilt, (4 out of 7 roads), in Warwick. http://www.southerndownssteamrailway.com.au/assets_infrastructure/roundhouse.php

"Ipswich" must have been the QR workshops (?). It must have still been quite the place in 1971! Nowadays it is a working museum and home to QR's heritage fleet, with maintenance and restoration of locos and coaches ongoing. Well worth a visit.

The C17 class were a bit like Black 5s - go anywhere, do anything and they survive in good numbers (25). Rather than scrapped, some were donated to town councils and put in parks as playground equipment which is why so many QR locos are still with us. Our version of the Barry miracle! We happened across one by chance not so long ago in the outback town of Mitchell. Don't worry, the kids tetanus shots are up to date!

image.jpeg

Mainline steam tours seem to be getting more and more adventurous here. We have a highly under utilised rail network, especially outside of the immediate Brisbane region.